Ken Erickson Knives: A Retrospective

_DSC3273.jpg

Thanks for the comments on these knives guys,

Another great job, Ken.

Two of 'em. :thumbup:

Ken, what color is that micarta?

Again, that jigging is phenomenal.

Ken, that brown paper looks amazing jigged. At first glance I thought it was bone.

I had no idea what I was looking at, only that I was all but certain it wasn't bone. Beautiful texture and coloration.

Would it accurate to guess that these knives are quite light, especially the one without liners? (I'm not familiar with the relative weight of micarta.)

Jason, in hand it looks chocolate, much like a Hershey bar.

Well now, there's an extra selling point. :) (As if that was needed. :cool:)

~ P.

Thanks for the kind words Sarah,

The wharncliffe version came in at 1.7 oz while the liner-less came in at a paltry 1 oz:eek:

Nice, purposeful designs, both of them. The handle profile looks . . . .well, handy!
Indexes/keeps your hand in the same place each time you grab it. It must be like having fitted grips on a target pistol - if your hand goes to the same place, your control becomes very consistent.
Nice useful tools!

And aesthetically pleasing - just icing on the cake!

Could have some real fun with those on the workbench, particularly the Wharncliffe. Mini light sabers. Real nice Ken. I am sure the owners will be pleased.

Indexes/keeps your hand in the same place each time you grab it. It must be like having fitted grips on a target pistol - if your hand goes to the same place, your control becomes very consistent.

My customer that first asked for this pattern is an avid squirrel hunter and will dress hundreds during a season. Your comments are exactly his thoughts also.

Could have some real fun with those on the workbench, particularly the Wharncliffe. Mini light sabers.

Even though these knives are only 3 1/2" closed they have a nice blade to frame ratio that I find appealing. The tips of the both the clip and Wharncliffe blade extend as far or a bit beyond the rear backspring pin when closed.

Quick update on my cases. I have been sewing cases now for bit and getting to learn the machine and materials. Here is the case that will house the clip point version going out.

Various outer shells, padded interiors, red flannel quilted interior. Velcro closures.
_DSC3278_edited-1.jpg

_DSC3280_edited-1.jpg

A short video, knives headed to Janesville Wi, Badger Show.

This was the first attempt at a video using my new camera and for the most part was pleased with the results,
[video=youtube;Ndl6m73Otfk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndl6m73Otfk[/video]

Nice lineup for the show, Ken! Wish I was going.
And your new camera works great! Great, clear video.

Always love watching your video's, Ken!! You really have some beauties to take to the show and I hope you have a wonderful time.

Great knives Ken-I really love that Champagne knife-very classy. Great seeing all those knives in a video...you really get an idea of the true size of the knives.

Ken,
Love your WIP's and your videos very personal and professional! I like your
promotional material almost as much as I like your knives. Best of luck at the Badger Show
and we will speak at your earliest convenience after the show!
Jeff

Back