1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Ken Erickson Knives: A Retrospective

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Blues, Jan 30, 2010.

1. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Awesome, Ken, I'd love to see the clip, if possible. The jigged micarta is terrific.

2. ken erickson

ken erickson

Aug 27, 2004
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the comments on these knives guys,

3. pertinux

pertinux

Feb 1, 2012
    Another great job, Ken.

Two of 'em. :thumbup:

I had no idea what I was looking at, only that I was all but certain it wasn't bone. Beautiful texture and coloration.

Would it accurate to guess that these knives are quite light, especially the one without liners? (I'm not familiar with the relative weight of micarta.)

Well now, there's an extra selling point. :) (As if that was needed. :cool:)

~ P.

4. ken erickson

ken erickson

Aug 27, 2004
    Thanks for the kind words Sarah,

The wharncliffe version came in at 1.7 oz while the liner-less came in at a paltry 1 oz:eek:

5. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Oh yeaaaaaah . . . Ken, thanks for the clip shot. It's perfect!

6. ken erickson

ken erickson

Aug 27, 2004
    Thanks Jeff,

Here are a few more pictures including a few in-hand.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. 2Dead

2Dead Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Ohh, those are nice!!

8. wagglebee

wagglebee

Jun 6, 2009
    Those are fantastic Ken!

9. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Nice, purposeful designs, both of them. The handle profile looks . . . .well, handy!
    Indexes/keeps your hand in the same place each time you grab it. It must be like having fitted grips on a target pistol - if your hand goes to the same place, your control becomes very consistent.
    Nice useful tools!

And aesthetically pleasing - just icing on the cake!

10. ptradeco

ptradeco Gold Member Gold Member

May 26, 2010
    Could have some real fun with those on the workbench, particularly the Wharncliffe. Mini light sabers. Real nice Ken. I am sure the owners will be pleased.

11. ken erickson

ken erickson

Aug 27, 2004
    My customer that first asked for this pattern is an avid squirrel hunter and will dress hundreds during a season. Your comments are exactly his thoughts also.

Even though these knives are only 3 1/2" closed they have a nice blade to frame ratio that I find appealing. The tips of the both the clip and Wharncliffe blade extend as far or a bit beyond the rear backspring pin when closed.

12. ken erickson

ken erickson

Aug 27, 2004
    Quick update on my cases. I have been sewing cases now for bit and getting to learn the machine and materials. Here is the case that will house the clip point version going out.

Various outer shells, padded interiors, red flannel quilted interior. Velcro closures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Beautiful work Ken, as always :)

Jack

14. SweptEdge

SweptEdge

Jan 25, 2013
    Your stuff looks really professional :thumbup:

15. Kirk1963

Kirk1963

Feb 26, 2012
    Stunning work - the quilting reminds me of an early Ferrari interior

16. ken erickson

ken erickson

Aug 27, 2004
    A short video, knives headed to Janesville Wi, Badger Show.

This was the first attempt at a video using my new camera and for the most part was pleased with the results,
    [video=youtube;Ndl6m73Otfk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndl6m73Otfk[/video]

17. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Nice lineup for the show, Ken! Wish I was going.
    And your new camera works great! Great, clear video.

18. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Always love watching your video's, Ken!! You really have some beauties to take to the show and I hope you have a wonderful time.

19. jivedaddy

jivedaddy

Dec 20, 2002
    Great knives Ken-I really love that Champagne knife-very classy. Great seeing all those knives in a video...you really get an idea of the true size of the knives.

20. jeffsaul

jeffsaul

Jun 21, 2009
    Ken,
    Love your WIP's and your videos very personal and professional! I like your
    promotional material almost as much as I like your knives. Best of luck at the Badger Show
    and we will speak at your earliest convenience after the show!
    Jeff