Ken Erickson Knives: A Retrospective

Congratulations Ken! You are a master at your craft and deserve the recognition.

Great news, Ken!

Congratulations.

Enjoy your well-deserved timeout-- downtime with a close friend sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate. :)

~ P.

Big congrats, Ken! It's a great honor and accolade for a man who is a master of his craft.

Cheers,
Daniel

Congratulations, Ken. I agree with everyone else, you deserve every accolade your receive, Your kindness, the way your share information, and help anyone who asks, is a testament to your character. May the smiles keep coming your way.

I had the good fortune of getting to CF & CE this knife at the Badger Show and I assure you it was a forgone conclusion concerning who was going to win that award before it was even entered. To say Ken nailed this old Sheffield pattern would be an understatement. A bonafide tour de force. Oh yeah, BTW, I got to leave with one of those knives in the video:D:D:D

Thanks to Gus for the picture and update.
Honestly, your prize came as no surprise to me, and I hope you enjoy it, cause it's well deserved.
I haven't handled any of your knives (yet ;)) but even the pleasure of exchanging emails with you and discussing knife projects deserves an award :)

Fausto
:cool:

Takes a deeeeep breath and thinks back to the look and feel, fit and finish, of each of those knives at the Janesville show. I was there. I saw and held them all, up close, and personal, on Friday while chatting with Ken and some of his other admirers. I've looked at a lot of traditional folders over the years and his are right up there with any of his contemporaries. I admit to a particular lust for a lockback whittler which I'm working my way towards ordering if I don't order an Orange Blossom first.

I thought I was through with the addiction.............. Turns out that I'm thinking I just need much better drugs.

Syn

Congratulations Ken!

It looks like the judges at the Badger show were equally impressed.

Great testament to your dedication to knife making as well as your dedication to delivering quality to your clients.

picture004.jpg

Way to go Ken, well deserved win. - :thumbup::thumbup::cool:

Thanks for all the congrats and kind words! I an not able to express how much they mean to me.
I just returned (Monday evening) from the show.

The turn out for this show was extremely well attended, pretty much a full house all three days with just a few lulls. The Badger Club does a really nice job with this show.

It was great to spend some time with Ken Coats, Keith Johnson, Mike Zscherny along with many other wonderful folks. It was a real pleasure to get to know Brad (Ptradeco) on a personal level. Thanks Brad, I enjoyed the time spent.

It was a heartwarming story on the champagne knife for me.
The man on my right purchased the knife for his brother-in-law(on my left) for his 50th birthday. The gift was a complete surprise to the recipient which unfolded at my table.
Badgershow.jpg

Thanks again guys!

3 5/8" Swayback Jack Shadow

CPM154
Flat Grind with Drawn Swage
Ivory Linen Micarta

As I mentioned a couple of posts up I got to leave the Badger Show with one of the knives in the video Ken made. I made it to Ken's table in sufficient time to have my pick of the ones he brought to the show. After giving these knives the hard, cold, eagle eye:cool: I picked this one. It was the simplest in design and construction but in all around judging of the knives it won the day with me. I think we tend to forget that sometimes the simpler knives are just as strong a statement to the makers abilities as the more complex. For when the knives are less complex the errors tend to stand out more. This one comes as close to perfection as it gets. I actually needed :eek: a knife as I was sending the only EDC I had with me home with Ken for a fluff and buff. Poor planning on my part but sometimes that works out. Without my failure I probably would not have ended up with this little gem. It has been in my pocket everyday since. And I was never overly fond of Swaybacks. Guess I never had a good one:D

Ken, if you will recall there were several conversations over the weekend with various people about these ivory Micartas. The pictures are not the best but even after just 10 days the coloring is changing. It is definitely losing its' yellowness, becoming more cream colored and is noticeably richer and deeper. It will be interesting to see how much it changes over time.

Thanks for a truly great knife.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Last edited:
Back