1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Ken Erickson Knives: A Retrospective

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Blues, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Congratulations Ken! You are a master at your craft and deserve the recognition.

2. pertinux

pertinux Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Great news, Ken!

Congratulations.

Enjoy your well-deserved timeout-- downtime with a close friend sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate. :)

~ P.

3. bakerg2g

bakerg2g

Apr 22, 2010
    Well Done Ken. Congrats...

Jason

4. shaldag

shaldag

Jun 17, 2004
    Congratulations, Ken.

5. marthinus

marthinus KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 10, 2006
    Congratulations ken! Well deserved!

6. wagglebee

wagglebee

Jun 6, 2009
    Fantastic news Ken! Very well deserved.

7. expwmbat

expwmbat

Jan 5, 2006
    Big congrats, Ken! It's a great honor and accolade for a man who is a master of his craft.

Cheers,
    Daniel

8. jeffsaul

jeffsaul

Jun 21, 2009
    Excellent you deserve every accolade you receive.

Jeff

9. Gevonovich

Gevonovich Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Congratulations, Ken. I agree with everyone else, you deserve every accolade your receive, Your kindness, the way your share information, and help anyone who asks, is a testament to your character. May the smiles keep coming your way.

10. VCM3

VCM3 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 26, 2005
    Congrat's Ken :thumbup:

11. ptradeco

ptradeco Gold Member Gold Member

May 26, 2010
    I had the good fortune of getting to CF & CE this knife at the Badger Show and I assure you it was a forgone conclusion concerning who was going to win that award before it was even entered. To say Ken nailed this old Sheffield pattern would be an understatement. A bonafide tour de force. Oh yeah, BTW, I got to leave with one of those knives in the video:D:D:D

12. quattromori

quattromori

May 7, 2011
    Thanks to Gus for the picture and update.
    Honestly, your prize came as no surprise to me, and I hope you enjoy it, cause it's well deserved.
    I haven't handled any of your knives (yet ;)) but even the pleasure of exchanging emails with you and discussing knife projects deserves an award :)

Fausto
    :cool:

13. synthesist

synthesist So many knives so little time

Sep 14, 2004
    Takes a deeeeep breath and thinks back to the look and feel, fit and finish, of each of those knives at the Janesville show. I was there. I saw and held them all, up close, and personal, on Friday while chatting with Ken and some of his other admirers. I've looked at a lot of traditional folders over the years and his are right up there with any of his contemporaries. I admit to a particular lust for a lockback whittler which I'm working my way towards ordering if I don't order an Orange Blossom first.

I thought I was through with the addiction.............. Turns out that I'm thinking I just need much better drugs.

Syn

14. T.A.DAVISON

T.A.DAVISON Slip Joint Knife Maker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 24, 2005

Way to go Ken, well deserved win. - :thumbup::thumbup::cool:

15. Craigb

Craigb

Nov 21, 2004
    Congratulations Ken!!!

16. ken erickson

ken erickson

Aug 27, 2004
    Thanks for all the congrats and kind words! I an not able to express how much they mean to me.
    I just returned (Monday evening) from the show.

The turn out for this show was extremely well attended, pretty much a full house all three days with just a few lulls. The Badger Club does a really nice job with this show.

It was great to spend some time with Ken Coats, Keith Johnson, Mike Zscherny along with many other wonderful folks. It was a real pleasure to get to know Brad (Ptradeco) on a personal level. Thanks Brad, I enjoyed the time spent.

It was a heartwarming story on the champagne knife for me.
    The man on my right purchased the knife for his brother-in-law(on my left) for his 50th birthday. The gift was a complete surprise to the recipient which unfolded at my table.
    [​IMG]

Thanks again guys!

17. Phi Sig

Phi Sig

Oct 15, 2006
    Congratulations. It was a pleasure for my son and I to meet you at the show.

18. ptradeco

ptradeco Gold Member Gold Member

May 26, 2010
    3 5/8" Swayback Jack Shadow

CPM154
    Flat Grind with Drawn Swage
    Ivory Linen Micarta

As I mentioned a couple of posts up I got to leave the Badger Show with one of the knives in the video Ken made. I made it to Ken's table in sufficient time to have my pick of the ones he brought to the show. After giving these knives the hard, cold, eagle eye:cool: I picked this one. It was the simplest in design and construction but in all around judging of the knives it won the day with me. I think we tend to forget that sometimes the simpler knives are just as strong a statement to the makers abilities as the more complex. For when the knives are less complex the errors tend to stand out more. This one comes as close to perfection as it gets. I actually needed :eek: a knife as I was sending the only EDC I had with me home with Ken for a fluff and buff. Poor planning on my part but sometimes that works out. Without my failure I probably would not have ended up with this little gem. It has been in my pocket everyday since. And I was never overly fond of Swaybacks. Guess I never had a good one:D

Ken, if you will recall there were several conversations over the weekend with various people about these ivory Micartas. The pictures are not the best but even after just 10 days the coloring is changing. It is definitely losing its' yellowness, becoming more cream colored and is noticeably richer and deeper. It will be interesting to see how much it changes over time.

Thanks for a truly great knife.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  19. SharpNJ

SharpNJ Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Beautiful knife - simple and clean.

20. mike Berkovitch

mike Berkovitch

Nov 15, 2007
    Congratulations Ken, what a lovely knife Brad you are lucky man.
    Mike