Knife or Death

I read something, somewhere about stabbing...

kinda like this?
MApAD8d.jpg

Lorien,

If this form becomes something of the basis for the short "sword" being discussed at length in the other thread, I would damn well get on that list, which isn't yet.

Last edited:
S 2
E 7
Mutant Ninja Chickens
TV-PG V, L

A professional survivalist, martial artists, and expert bladesmiths bring their custom built, historical blades to a series of grueling challenges that push their skills and their weapons to the limit. Can a Medieval Messer survive this modern course? Or will it be cut down to size by a traditional Bolo knife? And which blade will fail to make the cut? The fastest two competitors move onto the daunting final course — “Dead Run.” Only one will advance to the finale and the chance to win $20,000 and be crowned Knife or Death Champion.

Premieres on: Nov 14, 2018

Still waiting to see Jonny & Austin, gerrrrrrrrrr!

Has anyone seen any previews showing this week's contestants yet? I don't know what Austin looks like, but I'd recognize Jonny.

The only preview I saw was during last week's episode, and it didn't show the contestants for this week.

Has anyone seen any previews showing this week's contestants yet? I don't know what Austin looks like, but I'd recognize Jonny.

The only preview I saw was during last week's episode, and it didn't show the contestants for this week.

Austin is also a member on here but unlike his dad @Brian77 , Austin does not frequent BFC but Brian drops in once in a while. Brian had posted photos of his sons from the past Blades but with those kids having been late teens just a couple of years ago, I am sure that they must have really filled out into young men by now. There was a picture or two from Blade 2017 which I could post, but I'm sure that will be kinda useless for the reason I've given.

WHAT THE HECK!!!???

Was doing something else and left the TV on the channel after tonight's episode of KoD. Ad came on saying next week is the Finals of KoD.

I didn’t see anything like that. Ours went straight from KoD to FIF.

Same here.

I noticed this time that the guy with the sword was penalized for letting the melons drop on his blade. It was called "goal tending". I remember others doing that in past shows and I don't remember them being dinged. Are they changing the rues from show to show?

IIRC the last season was only 6 episodes long, so S2 has already surpassed that marker.

I didn’t really watch all of tonight’s episode apart from bits and pieces of it but I didn’t hear anything about next week being the last one in S2. That said, there could not be more than a few more episodes left because all the episodes are about an hour long and the finale will be hard to condense into an hour show with like a dozen of contestants!

Same here.

I noticed this time that the guy with the sword was penalized for letting the melons drop on his blade. It was called "goal tending". I remember others doing that in past shows and I don't remember them being dinged. Are they changing the rues from show to show?
Saw the commercial for next weeks episode twice. It aired again towards the end of the FiF that followed KoD. "Next week, the Season Finale of KoD".

Cutting runs is bad enough, but cutting whole episodes?:(

And yes, I noticed the discrepancy in the rules too. The only thing I can think of, is that the previous guy who did that (there's only been one other), had a much shorter blade.

It still doesn't change the fact that they both held it under the falling melons, with one exception, I don't remember the other run well enough to recall if the shorter blade, when held at a slight downward angle, might potentially not have been over the yellow circles on the floor before the guy brought it up into the melon's path.

Okay...after seeing @bluemax_1’s post about the season finale, I did some checking around. I have it on good authority that there will be a new season/episodes airing almost immediately after the finale next week. Supposedly, this is the finale for the first section of the episodes that have aired to this point, and there will be more to come.

BTW,
J Justin Presson

Kept forgetting to ask, did they allow you folks to touch up your edges before Dead Run?

I'm still surprised every time I see someone bring an untested blade to the competition eg. every time Travis calls them on dull edges, or they flat out admit they haven't really tested whatever they brought.

If the show was new, I guess contestants might not know what they were in for, but this is season 2. I'd think, at the very least, anyone who actually got on the show, would chop through 2x4's multiple times, to test their blade of choice, then make sure the edge was nice and sharp for the competition.

In last night's episode, the Asian HEMA contestant was the one that disappointed me the most. Here's a guy who actually competes in (and apparently has won) cutting competitions, so I'd assume that he'd be well aware of ensuring that he has a sharp, tested blade.

Why not use one of the swords he's used to compete (and win?) with previously? Instead, he chooses something untested, and isn't even aware that the edge isn't particularly sharp, until Travis points it out?

Checking the edge is something I (and everyone I know, who actually uses their blades) does out of habit. How does someone go into a cutting/chopping competition, without even knowing/checking if their blade is sharp or dull?

P.S. granted, the Messer that he used seemed sharp enough to make it through most obstacles. Then he takes the time to measure his last cut, and then actually swings with a different 1-handed cut on the chicken, causing him to not hit it accurately :confused:

Last edited:
BTW,
J Justin Presson

Kept forgetting to ask, did they allow you folks to touch up your edges before Dead Run?

I'm still surprised every time I see someone bring an untested blade to the competition eg. every time Travis calls them on dull edges, or they flat out admit they haven't really tested whatever they brought.

If the show was new, I guess contestants might not know what they were in for, but this is season 2. I'd think, at the very least, anyone who actually got on the show, would chop through 2x4's multiple times, to test their blade of choice, then make sure the edge was nice and sharp for the competition.

In last night's episode, the Asian HEMA contestant was the one that disappointed me the most. Here's a guy who actually competes in (and apparently has won) cutting competitions, so I'd assume that he'd be well aware of ensuring that he has a sharp, tested blade.

Why not use one of the swords he's used to compete (and win?) with previously? Instead, he chooses something untested, and isn't even aware that the edge isn't particularly sharp, until Travis points it out?

Checking the edge is something I (and everyone I know, who actually uses their blades) does out of habit. How does someone go into a cutting/chopping competition, without even knowing/checking if their blade is sharp or dull?

P.S. granted, the Messer that he used seemed sharp enough to make it through most obstacles. Then he takes the time to measure his last cut, and then actually swings with a different 1-handed cut on the chicken, causing him to not hit it accurately :confused:

I am sure that we are not the only ones who wonder about that. From my observation, some of these folks are not the sharpest tack on the card. Another possibility is that they are NOT knife people and don't really know the difference between a sort of sharp knife and a really sharp knife.

It's just a reality TV show. Who knows what evil goes on behind the scenes? The Shadow knows!

BTW,
J Justin Presson

They gave us 5 minutes, literally timed and we had to wear our safety gear sharpening..lol
The stones they had were freaking terrible my knife just laughed at them it was cpm3v at 60rc. My knife would still for the most part shave hair after knife fight but I had a few spots that I wanted to touch up. I made a YouTube video of what my knife looked like afterwards if the Carothers dont mind I will link to it.

I talked with Travis at the set and afterwards at the ICCE knife show in Kansas City and he said what we all think why the hell bring me a knife that wont shave the hair off my arm. There were several knives that could not do that this year.

One of the guys on my show was telling me in the lobby the morning we shot our episode that he was up till 2am trying to sharpen his knife in his hotel room with a dremel:confused:
After the show we all have kinda become friends and I have given him some guidance in knifemaking and sharpening.

Like stated above some of these people are just not knife people and want to be on TV...granted I did to but I know knives and went on a knife show. It would be like me trying to go on Halloween Wars on foodnetwork... yeah I have carved a pumpkin and baked a cake but hell if I know how to make a dessert without looking at the back of the Sara Lee box.

Okay...after seeing @bluemax_1’s post about the season finale, I did some checking around. I have it on good authority that there will be a new season/episodes airing almost immediately after the finale next week. Supposedly, this is the finale for the first section of the episodes that have aired to this point, and there will be more to come.

Had me worried I was gonna have to drive down to Atlanta and whoop Goldberg and Tu Lam for not airing Jonny's episode ... whewww guess they lucked out!

Back