Knife or Death

They gave us 5 minutes, literally timed and we had to wear our safety gear sharpening..lol
The stones they had were freaking terrible my knife just laughed at them it was cpm3v at 60rc. My knife would still for the most part shave hair after knife fight but I had a few spots that I wanted to touch up. I made a YouTube video of what my knife looked like afterwards if the Carothers dont mind I will link to it.

I talked with Travis at the set and afterwards at the ICCE knife show in Kansas City and he said what we all think why the hell bring me a knife that wont shave the hair off my arm. There were several knives that could not do that this year.

One of the guys on my show was telling me in the lobby the morning we shot our episode that he was up till 2am trying to sharpen his knife in his hotel room with a dremel:confused:
After the show we all have kinda become friends and I have given him some guidance in knifemaking and sharpening.

Like stated above some of these people are just not knife people and want to be on TV...granted I did to but I know knives and went on a knife show. It would be like me trying to go on Halloween Wars on foodnetwork... yeah I have carved a pumpkin and baked a cake but hell if I know how to make a dessert without looking at the back of the Sara Lee box.
Thanks for all the behind the scenes info.

So you wouldn't be allowed to use your own sharpening equipment, even if you'd brought it? I've had one of those DMT folding sharpeners since the 90s. Really compact and convenient. I've sharpened numerous friends super dull pocket knives with it (not to mention my own knives). I have the Double-sided Coarse/Fine version now. It's even faster for reprofiling a dull edge.

Sharpening a knife with a dremel... I confess, I sharpen my lawnmower blades with a dremel (the blade wasn't even sharp when I initially unboxed it), but never even considered it for a knife.

Travis took my BC and shaved a patched down his arm! lol He did the same thing with Jeannie's MC, but they cut that part out.
How about last night, the competitor with the “not sharp” knife... hmmm.

How about last night, the competitor with the “not sharp” knife... hmmm.
There have been quite a lot of them.

I may be suffering from confirmation bias, and only recalling the instances that fit, but to my recollection, more than half of the 'martial artists' have proven that they don't really do much more than cut air (or maybe some fruit) with their blades. Since they don't really ever cut things with their blades, sharpness and integrity (something as basic as a knife/sword that is solid and not all loose and wobbly) doesn't occur to them.

The Asian HEMA guy was especially disappointing, because they showed his submission/interview footage of him doing practice cuts (and cutting competitions?).

Although they only showed him cutting tatami rolls, tatami is lightweight and fibrous. It has to be sliced with a sharp blade, unlike something like sugarcane, apples and watermelons, that can be chopped with dull edges. That alone, in theory, should've meant that he'd be familiar with the advantage/necessity of a sharp edge for a cutting competition.

Last edited:
They left out the esee part and only called it a junglas.

Plus, I don't understand it either. How the hell are you going to compete in a cutting competition with a dull knife? :confused:
I'm pretty sure I distinctly heard him say, "Essy Hung-gluss".

Still unsure how Esee is pronounced (is it "Essy", or "Ese" like the Spanish word?), but I know Junglas is supposedly pronounced more like "Hoon-glas".

They said I could bring my own sharpening equipment which I did some DMT stones. But when the time came they said no since my competitor did not bring any and had to use there's.

jlr5ERK.jpg

The Finale is set for next Wednesday, who is going to win the 20k?
I will be cheering for my buddy Zeke who beat me in my episode final but there are a few guys that have some impressive eye hand coordination.

I have been shocked at how many blades Travis has ran his fingers up and down ... they must not have much edge at all for him to do that ... but I chuckle at the look on his face when he looks at the contestant after feeling a dull blade ....

I'm no pro sharpener but I'd be embarrassed if anyone picked up any of my knives and ran their fingers down the blade and they didn't cuss and bleed (as Doug Marcaida whispers "it will cut")

I think the big guy with the goatee is gonna take this one. His run made the course look easy!
He did have one of the fastest runs through Dead Run, but he was also the only other person to hold his blade under the falling melons, so there was no way to miss (and didn't get any penalties for it).

Unlike the guy with the sword last week, who did that and was penalized for each occurrence (for 'goal tending').

In comparison, the 6'6" HEMA giant would have beaten 'big guy with goatee's' time through Dead Run, using a similar technique for the melons (a few misses there, resulted in a slower overall time).

Regardless, it should be entertaining enough. Hopefully your run airs pretty soon after, Jonny!

I'm pretty sure I distinctly heard him say, "Essy Hung-gluss".

Still unsure how Esee is pronounced (is it "Essy", or "Ese" like the Spanish word?), but I know Junglas is supposedly pronounced more like "Hoon-glas".

I remember that. My hearing is not good, but I was kind of surprised to hear what sounded like a brand name.

RE: Dremel. Bill Laughridge of Cylinder & Slide once opined that a permit or license should not be required to own a gun, but should be required to own a Dremel. ;)

I was glad to see they called goal tending on that guy because they clearly stated to us in the rules walking the course that you could not goal tend.
The forged in fire guy had a solid run to if I remeber right, good eye hand cordination and good blade.

Seems that this one fizzled out fast, after they pulled a fast one on our lads Jonny & Austin! The S2 (part one?) finale was last night and the guy with the long white pony tailed mane and the matching goatee won.

Seems that this one fizzled out fast, after they pulled a fast one on our lads Jonny & Austin! The S2 (part one?) finale was last night and the guy with the long white pony tailed mane and the matching goatee won.

He was a bad ass for sure. My boy Tom didn't do as well as I thought he would.

He minimized his mistakes and did great overall. Well deserved victory, and the only guy to have won both FiF and KoD.

Back