• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

- KnifeMakers Scribe -

You know JT, you might be able to help with the frustration folks are feeling with this. I know how they feel; I've been trying to buy a personal vaporizer all weekend and everyone in the US that makes them are out of stock. Trying to get a reply from them when delivery is likely is like pulling teeth. This is what happens when you offer something everyone wants. It's a double-edged sword.

But one suggestion that you might employ that would help folks feel better follows. I've done this and it does help; the only thing is, it's still hard to keep to a schedule.

Set up a canned email reply that you can send to each person who sends you an inquiry. When someone writes you about a scribe, just send the canned reply. Include a link to an appropriate page on your website, and give a general timeframe for expected delivery. Something like "August 2011" or something. That might sound like a long time, but it will come quicker than you think.

Then take a weekend to parse this thread for everyone's name who has indicated an interest. Set up a page on your site for "Scribe Customers" or something and again, at the top of the page explain the production issue. Then list their names. Alphabetical order would be a pain in the ass to set up and maintain, but it would be the best way for your potential customers to be assured you have them down. You could use a spreadsheet to sort the names initially. You might include their original date of inquiry, just to help everyone ;) remember where we are.

This is just a thought and it will take some of your time. But I think it'd take a lot of the pressure off you if you set it up and keep it current, and help retain some goodwill from your potential customers.

All best,

Oh wait - how about my scribe?!

All best,

Thanks man that is a great help, i have been so focused on wanting to get yours done that i did not give alot of atention to other people that wanted them. i guess i did not expect them to go so big so fast. i will round everyone up on a spread sheet with there date and contact info. i am off to the shop in a few min to work on them :D

ok i am getting a spread sheet all set up with all the info i will need to keep track of everybody. i will try and contack every one and let them know what is going on and keep everyone up to date.

Nice costume dude. ;)

Thanks, it was fun. i was jack skellington from nightmare before Christmas
jackskellington1_800w.jpg

I knew I recognized it but kept thinking Edward Scissorhands. Good job! Did you win any money?

I knew I recognized it but kept thinking Edward Scissorhands. Good job! Did you win any money?

No, but a lot of people though it was way sweet. i scared little kids :D

Man there is a lot to keep track of with these orders. i guess i have never been good at keeping records or being organized. i am trying to change that now because i would like to really get the scribe business going good and i need to keep good records. i now have a spread sheet with all the important info for each customer, this spread sheet links with my Ipod touch so i have access to it at all times. so when i get an email i can instantly add them to the list even if I'm on the go. I hope this will make things smoother.

This was my best costume, and we won a lot of money in different places for two or three years...

It wasn't quite finished here, but I'll give a link to the movie from the 1997 World Science Fiction convention below it. That was about as good as the costumes ever looked. We won three Master level awards there - they even made one up for our documentation. But we didn't get Best of Show, dang it. Those guys earned it though.

And no, it doesn't fit anymore. I'm way to "large" for it these days. :D

ArmorEarly.jpg

Here's the helmet today:

ArmorHelmet.jpg

And here's the movie from Worldcon: Samurai From Mars

Edited to add, sorry for taking this so off-topic, but good costumes are cool and I wanted to show you mine. ;)

Last edited:
i scared little kids :D

Oh yeah! I've made little kids cry too! :thumbup: Once I had to pretend to let some kid's dad 'beat me up' so the little wuss wouldn't be so scared. Talk about getting out of character... :grumpy:

I wore the helmet once for Beggar's Night when kids come around trick-or-treating. One neighbor kid got scared and started crying and his mom got all mad at me. Never would speak to me again. :D

This was my best costume, and we won a lot of money in different places for two or three years...

It wasn't quite finished here, but I'll give a link to the movie from the 1997 World Science Fiction convention below it. That was about as good as the costumes ever looked. We won three Master level awards there - they even made one up for our documentation. But we didn't get Best of Show, dang it. Those guys earned it though.

And no, it doesn't fit anymore. I'm way to "large" for it these days. :D

ArmorEarly.jpg

Here's the helmet today:

ArmorHelmet.jpg

And here's the movie from Worldcon: Samurai From Mars

Edited to add, sorry for taking this so off-topic, but good costumes are cool and I wanted to show you mine. ;)

WOW that is really sick man. look at you, you are a super model ;)

how would everyone feel if i used a stencil to etch the words on the bottom of the stencil instead of milling it in. milling it just eats up my engraving tools.

JT its the function and quality of the tool that counts. I am very pleased with mine. If you had etched your name in the bottom, it would work just the same.

do it.

As a practical matter I'm with Biker Mike. Etching would not affect its function at all. It will make those who have received theirs own a collector's item! But I bet they've all been used by now, so the collector value is lessened. :D

Okay, I'll shut up.

You can etch mine if you like JT. Just etch it deep. ;)

As a practical matter I'm with Biker Mike. Etching would not affect its function at all. It will make those who have received theirs own a collector's item! But I bet they've all been used by now, so the collector value is lessened. :D

Okay, I'll shut up.

You can etch mine if you like JT. Just etch it deep. ;)

Ditto :thumbup:

I've been watching this thread from day one, planning to get a scribe eventually (got to get the belt grinder first...).

Stencil etch wouldn't affect my intent to buy (someday) either.

Tait

What's up JT, still no word. Do you mind giving an update on when you think you will get my scribe done?

JT: I was first on your list...John Lloyd...and no scribe yet. Any problems here? Thanks

JT: I was first on your list...John Lloyd...and no scribe yet. Any problems here? Thanks

Sorry, i have been so busy at work its not even funny. but i am moving all the turning operations over to my new machine that i run which is a CNC lathe. this will allow me to be able to pop in some bar stock and run them out. i was doing them on the manual lathe and it was real hard on it especially the knurling as out large lathe does not use collets so i could only use the small collet lathe. another reason I'm moving it over is that I'm the only person that knows how to run the lathe and the other machine got taken over again for a job. so while there using it i will run out all the lathe operations and once the mill is open i will jump on it.

JT, the horse n buggy finally dropped my scribe off bro :) you got skills, dude!
Very clever idea.., and very nicely made :thumbup:

Just so there is no confusion, can you give us an update and when you expect to make a second run?

Back