Lady's Running Knife (looking for suggestions)

Nope. I do it all the time

You train for marathons with a .380? How do you do your long runs without getting rubbed raw and where do you carry it?

My wife is a concealed carry permit holder, but would never run with a firearm. She tried a Derringer, but even that was too heavy for her.

I'm not a big fan of knives for SD but it sounds like you have a grasp of their place and are approaching it with logical maturity.

My youngest daughter very much wanted a couple knives when she was riding the public bus and not old enough to conceal carry. I got her a Spyderco Tasman Salt 2 in serrated edge. I already owned a Cold Steel Mini Tanto neck knife and she wanted that too.

She much prefers the Tasman and still carries it often. I think the neck knife will be way too uncomfortable for running.

Hey all,
Looking for a suggestion for a lady's runners knife. My wife and I both run a lot on very rural roads and are often 5-7+ miles from home and she would like to have something for a worst case scenario (emergency self defense only). A local story from awhile back got her a bit worried and she wants to have an option beyond just a cell phone for when she runs alone.

Ideally looking for suggestions for a thin/light, brightly colored (lady's colors), stainless, onehanded opening knife with a strong clip. Thanks for any and all suggestions.
I'm not a runner but I do get my cardio in just about every day one way or the other. Lately, because of the pandemic it has been cycling (real cycling, outside, on a bike).

My go to has always been a Pacific salt SE for exercise (gym clothing) and water activity (bathing suit). Lately I've been carrying the Siren, but I think that would be too big for running.

Something in the salt line would be perfect. Salt 2 h1 in SE or a native 5 in lc200n. The tasman might seem like a good idea but the hawkbill really limits you to draw and slashing cuts. I'd want to be able to stab easily. Tucked iwb, the delica sized salt is hardly noticeable.

If color is a must, the delica is a nice option.

Don't let naysayers dissuade you from a small folding knife. Most don't understand it will likely be this or nothing. I'll take a small folder over nothing any day.

Can you use the John McClane “duct tape to the back holster” for distance running?

Last edited:
I would sugggest a Microtech UTX-70 if autos are allowed in your state. Its small slim and of course easy to engage. I imagine it being clipped onto runner shorts or pants at the waist. Just my two cents. Agree an absolute last resort weapon.

:eek: Either of these would do fine . The Cold Steel is a far better SD knife , but the Spyderco is much lighter and more rust proof . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Any small thin long fixed blade, or a defense needle, will do.
In the meantime, she stole mine SOCP!

:eek: Either of these would do fine . The Cold Steel is a far better SD knife , but the Spyderco is much lighter and more rust proof . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The cold steel is way too heavy. It has to be a light weight knife first or it won't matter how good it is for SD as it won't be carried.

I've been a marathon runner for 15 years and coached a couple of running clubs. Now days nearly all of our club runners do distance training wearing a running belt of some sort (some also use an arm strap for their phone in addition). In the belts, we often carry a phone, earbuds, 2-4 gel packs, a car key, emergency taxi/bus fare, and a small water bottle or two. I've known runners to carry mace as well. That's quite a bit of stuff but easily manageable not only for training but also in the actual timed events (though our faster experienced runners often carry much less).

I very rarely have a need to carry a "running knife" unless in certain areas; and it's for self defense against animals not people. In my years of running I've been attacked twice by dogs. To me bearing the additional weight of a small knife for training runs is negligible relative to the rest of the stuff I sometimes carry. I just don't like carrying large knives, and I don't like carrying anything in my shorts or clipped to the waistband. Main thing is having the belt to carry the knife, preferably in a quick access pouch, but clipped to it works ok too. I like the Benchmade 417 Fact. Here it is with my Nathan Zipster Lite (the label peeled off) running belt which I also highly recommend. It's so light and breathable I often forget I'm wearing it.
qMugQbDl.jpg

Last edited:
i just got a dragonfly and i have to say for its size i think you could really mess somebody up, would definitely be my choice

I've been a marathon runner for 15 years and coached a couple of running clubs. Now days nearly all of our club runners do distance training wearing a running belt of some sort (some also use an arm strap for their phone in addition). In the belts, we often carry a phone, earbuds, 2-4 gel packs, a car key, emergency taxi/bus fare, and a small water bottle or two. I've known runners to carry mace as well. That's quite a bit of stuff but easily manageable not only for training but also in the actual timed events (though our faster experienced runners often carry much less).

I very rarely have a need to carry a "running knife" unless in certain areas; and it's for self defense against animals not people. In my years of running I've been attacked twice by dogs. To me bearing the additional weight of a small knife for training runs is negligible relative to the rest of the stuff I sometimes carry. I just don't like carrying large knives, and I don't like carrying anything in my shorts or clipped to the waistband. Main thing is having the belt to carry the knife, preferably in a quick access pouch, but clipped to it works ok too. I like the Benchmade 417 Fact. Here it is with my Nathan Zipster Lite (the label peeled off) running belt which I also highly recommend. It's so light and breathable I often forget I'm wearing it.
qMugQbDl.jpg

Thank you for your experience! I know you're the real deal because you have gu packs! lol My wife has one similar, but carries her Dragonfly clipped on the waistband at 3 o'clock. She only wears the belt on 10+ mile runs though.
xZ0RFT2.jpg

I don’t wear a shirt when I run, so no bloody nipples for me!
I wish women did that around here. Lol.

I don't run, actually, I can't. It's fight or fight for me. Luckily I have lots of experience and now how to work with and around my limitations.

I walk a lot, and even then, weight gets to you. Especially when it's 95°F. Light clothes, shoes, etc. While it's expensive, I usually carry my Brian Tighe and friends Twist Tighe OTF with me when I'm walking in the heat. At 1.8oz, I barely notice it. It comes in pretty colors too.

Carrying a gun or other heavy object alters your gait as well, which for runners is a problem.

Back