Lady's Running Knife (looking for suggestions)

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by steelhog, Jul 7, 2020.

1. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    You train for marathons with a .380? How do you do your long runs without getting rubbed raw and where do you carry it?

My wife is a concealed carry permit holder, but would never run with a firearm. She tried a Derringer, but even that was too heavy for her.

2. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    this could be an option for her. I may just pick her up a new running knife!

3. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    I'm not a big fan of knives for SD but it sounds like you have a grasp of their place and are approaching it with logical maturity.

My youngest daughter very much wanted a couple knives when she was riding the public bus and not old enough to conceal carry. I got her a Spyderco Tasman Salt 2 in serrated edge. I already owned a Cold Steel Mini Tanto neck knife and she wanted that too.

She much prefers the Tasman and still carries it often. I think the neck knife will be way too uncomfortable for running.

91bravo likes this.
  4. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    I'm not a runner but I do get my cardio in just about every day one way or the other. Lately, because of the pandemic it has been cycling (real cycling, outside, on a bike).

My go to has always been a Pacific salt SE for exercise (gym clothing) and water activity (bathing suit). Lately I've been carrying the Siren, but I think that would be too big for running.

Something in the salt line would be perfect. Salt 2 h1 in SE or a native 5 in lc200n. The tasman might seem like a good idea but the hawkbill really limits you to draw and slashing cuts. I'd want to be able to stab easily. Tucked iwb, the delica sized salt is hardly noticeable.

If color is a must, the delica is a nice option.

Don't let naysayers dissuade you from a small folding knife. Most don't understand it will likely be this or nothing. I'll take a small folder over nothing any day.

5. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    I don't like the weak detent on axis lock knives for exercise. I worry they could be jostled open, especially if you fall. Imo of course.

Eli Chaps likes this.
  6. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    Jonny! Whoa! Quit biting the poor girls nipples & butt and just let her run in peace! ;-)

K.O.D. and 91bravo like this.
  7. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Don't feed the Trolls Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Can you use the John McClane “duct tape to the back holster” for distance running?
    F816EDC5-8F1D-43E4-BBA9-06ED502A513B.jpeg

8. steelhog

steelhog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Yep - that's plan #1. Run fast and hard into the nearest corn field. The knife is just the last resort option.

9. Tigerden

Tigerden Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2019
    I would sugggest a Microtech UTX-70 if autos are allowed in your state. Its small slim and of course easy to engage. I imagine it being clipped onto runner shorts or pants at the waist. Just my two cents. Agree an absolute last resort weapon.

10. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :eek: Either of these would do fine . The Cold Steel is a far better SD knife , but the Spyderco is much lighter and more rust proof . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

[​IMG]

11. FullMetalJackass

FullMetalJackass Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Any small thin long fixed blade, or a defense needle, will do.
    In the meantime, she stole mine SOCP!

12. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    The cold steel is way too heavy. It has to be a light weight knife first or it won't matter how good it is for SD as it won't be carried.

91bravo likes this.
  13. Mako109

Mako109

Dec 17, 2008
    I've been a marathon runner for 15 years and coached a couple of running clubs. Now days nearly all of our club runners do distance training wearing a running belt of some sort (some also use an arm strap for their phone in addition). In the belts, we often carry a phone, earbuds, 2-4 gel packs, a car key, emergency taxi/bus fare, and a small water bottle or two. I've known runners to carry mace as well. That's quite a bit of stuff but easily manageable not only for training but also in the actual timed events (though our faster experienced runners often carry much less).

I very rarely have a need to carry a "running knife" unless in certain areas; and it's for self defense against animals not people. In my years of running I've been attacked twice by dogs. To me bearing the additional weight of a small knife for training runs is negligible relative to the rest of the stuff I sometimes carry. I just don't like carrying large knives, and I don't like carrying anything in my shorts or clipped to the waistband. Main thing is having the belt to carry the knife, preferably in a quick access pouch, but clipped to it works ok too. I like the Benchmade 417 Fact. Here it is with my Nathan Zipster Lite (the label peeled off) running belt which I also highly recommend. It's so light and breathable I often forget I'm wearing it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  14. CcDoubleU

CcDoubleU Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 7, 2019
    i just got a dragonfly and i have to say for its size i think you could really mess somebody up, would definitely be my choice

15. Jcsixx01

Jcsixx01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Winkler spike.

16. steelhog

steelhog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Thanks so much all for the comments and suggestions. I ordered the Salt2 based on all the recommendations. Should make a good knife for running + more.

Eli Chaps, MolokaiRider and craytab like this.
  17. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    Thank you for your experience! I know you're the real deal because you have gu packs! lol My wife has one similar, but carries her Dragonfly clipped on the waistband at 3 o'clock. She only wears the belt on 10+ mile runs though.
    [​IMG]

Mako109 and craytab like this.
  18. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    I think that is a really good choice.

91bravo likes this.
  19. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Good choice on the Spyderco Salt.

No liners, super light, corrosion proof, bright color, great ergos, and useful beyond a self defense role.

craytab and 91bravo like this.
  20. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Sanity Not Included Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I wish women did that around here. Lol.

I don't run, actually, I can't. It's fight or fight for me. Luckily I have lots of experience and now how to work with and around my limitations.

I walk a lot, and even then, weight gets to you. Especially when it's 95°F. Light clothes, shoes, etc. While it's expensive, I usually carry my Brian Tighe and friends Twist Tighe OTF with me when I'm walking in the heat. At 1.8oz, I barely notice it. It comes in pretty colors too.

Carrying a gun or other heavy object alters your gait as well, which for runners is a problem.