Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

Mikov, Czech Rebublic.
scvBtTV.jpg

View attachment 1136584 View attachment 1136585

1973, seven dot.

Does anyone understand the design and purpose of the small blade with the knob? I am sure Buzzbait Buzzbait does.

I believe I read somewhere that it is a can opener, but it is hard to see how that would work. I know some now use it as a box opener. The knife is heavy and built like a tank. This is a very nice thread, and I look forward to reading it from the beginning.

Leslie, a beauty right there:cool: your correct it is a can opener and maybe one of the most mis-understood. You pierce the can with the blade inside the lip while the stud hangs over the cans lip and you lever it backwards bringing the tip forward in an upward motion:confused::oops: hard to describe actually:) but it works quite well:thumbsup:

1973, seven dot.

Does anyone understand the design and purpose of the small blade with the knob? I am sure Buzzbait Buzzbait does.

I believe I read somewhere that it is a can opener, but it is hard to see how that would work. I know some now use it as a box opener. The knife is heavy and built like a tank. This is a very nice thread, and I look forward to reading it from the beginning.

Those in-house produced Case scouts really are impressively built. Slightly larger than your average scout, and solid as can be. They make most other scouts feel kind of wimpy in comparison. I really like the deep cant of the main blade on them. Makes using the knife extremely comfortable. Good solid punch too, and a very sturdy cap lifter.

1973, seven dot.

Leslie, a beauty right there:cool: your correct it is a can opener and maybe one of the most mis-understood. You pierce the can with the blade inside the lip while the stud hangs over the cans lip and you lever it backwards bringing the tip forward in an upward motion:confused::oops: hard to describe actually:) but it works quite well:thumbsup:
I got to use one of those can openers on a day hike gone awry in the mid 1960s. My dad, little brother and I were hiking in the Moose River Plains area of the Adirondacks, off the beaten trails (trails being very sparse in the 60s) with a topographic map and a compass. Nightfall arrived before we got back to our vehicle. That old camp knife I had with me, now lost to the sands of time, was used to open 2 cans of Dinty Moore Beef Stew. That was one of the best meals I ever had!
Bottom line, that can opener works!

I grabbed this Camillus off the big auction site the other day. Talk about some stought springs!!
52-F6-BAC2-67-A0-4944-9-DDA-44-E5-B8-BB358-F.jpg

Edited to add, I should really wear my reading glasses when I post something. I just looked at this and thought “I are edumacated” with my spellingo_Oo_O

Last edited:
I got to use one of those can openers on a day hike gone awry in the mid 1960s. My dad, little brother and I were hiking in the Moose River Plains area of the Adirondacks, off the beaten trails (trails being very sparse in the 60s) with a topographic map and a compass. Nightfall arrived before we got back to our vehicle. That old camp knife I had with me, now lost to the sands of time, was used to open 2 cans of Dinty Moore Beef Stew. That was one of the best meals I ever had!
Bottom line, that can opener works!

Good story which brought back memories of eating Dinty Moore Beef Stew as a Boy Scout back in the day. Those cans were also opened with a trusty camping knife with folding can opener.
On a side note, my kitchen can opener with rotating knob broke a few weeks back and I had no problem using a good old Ulster pocket knife for a day or two until buying a new (faster) can opener. :)

View attachment 1137094

brought back memories of eating Dinty Moore Beef Stew as a Boy Scout back in the day.
A fond memory for me as well. I tell my boys stories of cooking cans of Dinty Moore in Boy Scouts... venting the lid, placing it right on the coals until it was hot, opening it, and eating it straight out of the can. All it took was a scout knife, a pair of pliers to hold the can, and a spoon. Great times!!!

Good story which brought back memories of eating Dinty Moore Beef Stew as a Boy Scout back in the day. Those cans were also opened with a trusty camping knife with folding can opener.
On a side note, my kitchen can opener with rotating knob broke a few weeks back and I had no problem using a good old Ulster pocket knife for a day or two until buying a new (faster) can opener. :)

View attachment 1137094
That looks a lot like my can opener. :)

A fond memory for me as well. I tell my boys stories of cooking cans of Dinty Moore in Boy Scouts... venting the lid, placing it right on the coals until it was hot, opening it, and eating it straight out of the can. All it took was a scout knife, a pair of pliers to hold the can, and a spoon. Great times!!!

That's how it was done, and sure tasted good back then. :)

View attachment 1137094

That's how it was done, and sure tasted good back then. :)

You know, Stuff just tasted better when I was 15 years old. Oh well!
I think I'll put my Boker on my belt just in case.
JNmc5uO.jpg

Back