Manix 2 in Maxamet !

Ah, should have plenty of holiday tasks to test the mettle of Maxamet, Gary.

Nice photo, sharp contrasts for 3-D; the blade looks almost like a stone-wash finish.

Any chance of a photo showing the ripple you mention? ("What's the price? A dollar twice!" ooooold joke refrain ;)

kind regards

"What's the word? Thunderbird. What's the price? Forty twice." ;)

Sorry, but I am not buying that frcp cracked story. Could be a bad production patch, but this does not match my experience with it.
Also going by his other posts it seems to me like he wants to make this knife/steel combination to look bad.

Gesendet von meinem SM-A310F mit Tapatalk

Sorry, but I am not buying that frcp cracked story. Could be a bad production patch, but this does not match my experience with it.
Also going by his other posts it seems to me like he wants to make this knife/steel combination to look bad.

you are sorely mistaken about him wanting to make it look bad. why would you even say that. he is indeed trying to test it. jessh some people just dont understand.

dunno if its an anomaly or not, but they replaced it i believe.

why are you not BUYING that? are you a professional know it all?

you are sorely mistaken about him wanting to make it look bad. why would you even say that. he is indeed trying to test it. jessh some people just dont understand.

dunno if its an anomaly or not, but they replaced it i believe.

why are you not BUYING that? are you a professional know it all?
Well at least I don't behave like an idiot and start name calling because of somebody being of a different opinion.

So yes, performing nonsense tests and posting pictures of how a knife supposedly failed doesn't make me appreciate his pictures.

And I simply stated (as have others) that this does not reflect my experience with frcp.

So the next time you read something you don't like, why don't you just keep your dim witted opinion to yourself?

are you a professional know it all?

Nobody pays me for this so I guess I'm an amateur know it all. (But I'm always open to sponsorship.)

I don't know about the person who dropped their knife but I know that when the S110V lightweight version first came out people were anxious to remove the blade to put into G10 handles. They tried removing the blades with out drilling out the rivets and it took a lot of effort to break the scales so that the blade would come out.

I slammed mine on a tile floor over and over today just to see if I could chip it. Then I tried dropping it from over my head a bunch of times, intentionally dropping it so it would impact directly where the referenced handle broke. I didn't make so much as a scratch. I finally quit because I knew it was only a matter of time before the blade opened on impact and I broke the tip or chipped the edge.

For the record, I do not like Golden's version of frn/frcp as much as the frn they use on the Japan knives. It does feel (and sound) like it could be more brittle than the Japanese frn, which seems a bit more like a very hard rubber. That said, I have abused it pretty hard and have never seen any reason to believe it is actually weaker or more prone to cracking. It may be...hell, it even seems to be to the touch, but my experience has so far shown otherwise. I too find it hard to believe that handle broke from falling 3 1/2 feet onto a wood floor. I'm not saying that it didn't happen, I'm just saying it's hard to believe. ;) That said, I have NEVER seen a japanese frn knife handle break in such a way from anything so...

I always wondered about the different FRN's. Thanks for the explanation, Surf.^
I prefer the Japanese FRN also but no complaints on the Golden's.
rolf

Maxamet stains quite easily. After some food prep, some patina started showing up.

3tr6uge.jpg

cTS9OUc.jpg

That patina looks just like what would happen to D2 after similar use, not bad considering fruit is one of the most acidic things you can cut in normal life.

The blade juice was only left on long enough to cook. When I was done cooking, I wiped off the blade and the patina above was a result. It stains rather quickly!

Thanks for those pictures! I haven't messed with Maxamet yet, it's definitely an interesting alloy.

haha, Roger!
I just got a Red N5 so I could go for another color. :D
rolf

I've whacked my frn handles with a hammer just to see what would happen not so much as a dent. Kinda odd. I'm sure Spyderco will hook him up.

Back