Manix 2 Photographs

That's the only part of the P'kal I DO gripe about.
The rest of the knife feels so solid and high quality. That's why I'll be replacing the plastic cage with a titanium one when I get the time/money/tools.

Why exactly are you going to replace it?

Is it actually not functioning properly for you or are you just irritated by the fact that it's made of plastic? Who cares that it's made of a "cheap material", if that material fits perfectly for the purpose it's intended for? Why waste a lot of money for no practical reason at all?

Who cares that it's made of a "cheap material", if that material fits perfectly for the purpose it's intended for?

Why waste a lot of money for no practical reason at all?

I do.
And because I can.:cool: Alot of people would say we're all wasting our cash spending more than $80 on a knife, and performance-wise, they'd be largely correct.
But that doesn't stop us.:cool:

Sal has stated in the past that the material used for the ball-bearing cage [in the Pi'kal] is some sort of high-tech plastic.

Do you all think Spyderco would design a knife, with all the thought that goes into each part, and then cheap-out in one specific area?

What do you think it's made out of? Recycled water bottles?

re: all the jimping on the prototype.

i noticed that my xm18 has very simlar jimping in the same places as the new manix.

it isn't as dominating a feature as one might think.

Thanks to Sal's post I may change my views on the Manix 2,but not until the full size version comes out in a couple of months.Until I see the improvements I'll be sitting on the fence.

I recently got a P'Kal, and it has that same internal liner jimping that appears on the Manix 2. I think the Manix 2 would benefit from sharper jimping the protrudes more from under the scale.

Obviously I don't know if this has changed, but it would help on the P'Kal as the jimping is rather smooth.

On a side note I love the caged ball lock. It's smooth, and doesn't really feel like plastic at all. I just wish the ball bearing was bigger like on the D'Allara.

I'll probably pass on this one, the Manix is probably my favorite Spyderco and I don't see what improvements this "new" version brings.
Let's see: no FFG, "cheap" 154CM (I know, I am a steel snob), cheap plastic "cage", small size.
Maybe Eric's sprint version will make me change my mind.

I'll probably pass on this one, the Manix is probably my favorite Spyderco and I don't see what improvements this "new" version brings.
Let's see: no FFG, "cheap" 154CM (I know, I am a steel snob), cheap plastic "cage", small size.
Maybe Eric's sprint version will make me change my mind.

I would love to see CPM154 over 154CM, but that cheap plastic "cage" is really a high tech, long string rigid polymer ;).

I love the caged BBL. It's almost as good as the original one on the D'Allara. I just wish the ball was bigger on the caged versions.

I keep going over the pics again and again. I love the looks of this knife. I even like the grind though the tip visually looks a little funny I think that in hand it would make sense. I like the lock I like the plastic (function over form works for me). The only thing I don’t like is the pocket clip, well I don’t like that its polished I much prefer the black coating on many other spyderco knives. I like the way it wears and shows honest use. And with MSRP at $130? All I can say is WOW!!!!!

I keep going over the pics again and again. I love the looks of this knife. I even like the grind though the tip visually looks a little funny I think that in hand it would make sense. I like the lock I like the plastic (function over form works for me). The only thing I don’t like is the pocket clip, well I don’t like that its polished I much prefer the black coating on many other spyderco knives. I like the way it wears and shows honest use. And with MSRP at $130? All I can say is WOW!!!!!
The good news is, the black clip used on the Delica 4 and many other current models should fit just fine. So, for a few bucks extra, you can have it "your way". :)

As for the tip, unless you don't care for the look of the tips on the Delica 2 and Endura 2, it may just be the photos. Nice "stabby" point. I had a bunch of fun attacking a phone book with it. :D

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website - - - - - - A Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting - - - - - - Kiwimania
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
Spyderco Collector # 043 - - WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twsited up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

The good news is, the black clip used on the Delica 4 and many other current models should fit just fine. So, for a few bucks extra, you can have it "your way". :)

I never even thought about swapping the clip from one of my endura’s. perhaps its because I’ve never had a manix so I’m not looking at this knife based on what I knew but rather I’m looking at this knife based on what I know about knives and what I like. That being said a FFG/s90v M2 in the size pictured is enough to keep me up at night.

You're not alone. Many others feel the same way. The BBL will work, and I'm going to give it a shot. :D

Not only will the lock work, Sal has posted that it has tested out to be stronger than the original lock despite the knife having 3.5mm blade stock instead of 4mm on the original.

Mike

The only thing that worries me is the steal. Not the choice (I’ve got no problem with 154cm) but the heat treat. In my observations a steel from a particular maker or manufacturer really shines after they’ve been using it for a few years and the people who do the heat treats know exactly what to do. While often times when a maker or a manufacture starts using a new steel there is something of a learning curve before they can make that steel perform to the best of its capabilities.

That being said I remember spyderco’s S30V shining bright from the start. So my concerns may not be valid.

Back