Massdrop/Laconico Keen

The quality is top notch, as good or better than any ZT twice the price and the flipper tab is hardly noticeable when I reach in my pocket. The flipper is also nicely chamfered and the pocket clip has the perfect ramp to it IMO
gZGKBc8.jpg
This picture made me think of @NickShabazz hahaha looks like it could be a pocket pecker, but that doesn't seem to be an issue for me.

Last edited:
Thats exactly what i thought...pocket pecker. Lol.

The flipper tab is perfect in my opinion...very ergonomic against the curve of my index finger when I go to flip, and it's certainly not too large for my tastes.

Also, the cutting performance on this knife has surprised me. The blade with factory edge just seems to glide right through everything I cut.

I would like this knife more if it were smaller. I think the design would be more attractive as a "mini." It looks like an over-sized gentleman's knife.
Same here, i'd like it in the 2,75/3" with thinner blade.

Very close to pulling the trigger on a bronze lefty. Got my lefty Kizer Gemini this past Friday, and love the fact of finally having a framelock flipper made for a left handed person.

Same here, i'd like it in the 2,75/3" with thinner blade.

That would be an EZC. At least one production version from Carmel Cutlery/MBK is due for release soon. I am hoping I get my hands on one. The Keen has introduced me to the joys of smaller blades.

SoZlDh8.jpg

Very close to pulling the trigger on a bronze lefty. Got my lefty Kizer Gemini this past Friday, and love the fact of finally having a framelock flipper made for a left handed person.
I believe the "lefty" version just has a left hand clip setup.

Got my purple w/ portals today. I lucked out that the version I’ve been eyeing since the original drop is still available.

A couple surprises when I opened it up: the pictures I’ve seen don’t really capture the finish’s purple-to-blue chameleon effect or the slightly darker finish on the hardware (it’s more grey than silver).

As expected, the flipping action is great, although it’s more “fall-shutty” than I prefer (holding the knife horizontally, the blade will swing up until it hits my thumb, which was an “exciting” discovery; it’d swing all the way closed if my thumb wasn’t in the way).

Mine just arrived (bronze portal version). I bought this on a lark after reading all of the positive comments here. I’ve never owned a Laconico or a WE made knife. Color me highly impressed with both the design and the execution. I have nothing remotely negative to say about either. This is a gem, and for the price, unbeatable. Thanks, y’all.

Last edited:
That would be an EZC. At least one production version from Carmel Cutlery/MBK is due for release soon. I am hoping I get my hands on one. The Keen has introduced me to the joys of smaller blades.

SoZlDh8.jpg
Thank you for the information. It seems a nice small knife, I like the minimalist design, what I like less is the 400$ that is quite high for this kind of product.

Thank you for the information. It seems a nice small knife, I like the minimalist design, what I like less is the 400$ that is quite high for this kind of product.

$400 is for the (rumored to be later) US production version. $225 is for the soon to be released Chinese made version. Same as the Minpin was. Likely the same factory and it doesn’t appear to be WE.

Sanford Owen of Monterey Bay Knives is keeping a wait list and I’m on it but no further info on the release date has been announced. It was originally slated for late December/early January. I anxiously await.

Last edited:
$400 is for the (rumored to be later) US production version. $225 is for the soon to be released Chinese made version. Same as the Minpin was. Likely the same factory and it doesn’t appear to be WE.

Kizer is producing the EZC, and it will come in at a lower price than the Minpin. The original EZC production prototype looked distinctly Kizer. Sanford has them change a few things, and it no longer looks like a Kizer except for the pivot matching their new (non pinwheel) pivot, and the pocket clip shared with the as yet unreleased Kizer Yorkie.

The new one looks awesome. The evolution of it really shows the importance of the relationship between designer, producer, and maker.

Great info. Thanks.

It’s been difficult to stay on top of it. Facebook, Instagram ...

Great info. Thanks.

It’s been difficult to stay on top of it. Facebook, Instagram ...

It takes an army! That’s why I love having this board around. Gives me access to people like you. You, specifically, have helped me bear in mind how varied “edc tasks” are from person to person. Among other things.

Knives have been part of the backdrop of my life for so long I’ve gone years without noticing them. Since I’ve retired I can finally enjoy some of the things that made my life rich. Figuratively and literally.

Folders are an example of a tool expressly forbidden in commercial kitchens. At home, all that changes. So do its uses.

In addition to the custom knives I have on order I am already thinking about a new design for a paring knife. I had no idea this sort of thing could be so easy to do. All it takes is a few bucks and a relationship with a smith. And you’re off to the races!

Last edited:
Back