medford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the advice Mr.mt666tm. Tomorrow I’m buying an expensive flashlight, pen and spinner, opening an Instagram account, and posting pics for geeks. I’ll send you a link so you can be one of my first Instagram buddies! I hope I can count on you to get a :thumbsup:! Appreciate it!

You are going to have so many friends. I am getting pretty jealous over here.

I feel so inadequate.

You can be an Instagram buddy too Mr. Lapedog. Don’t feel inadequate, I’ll share my expensive spinner with you, and you don’t even have to own a Medford. Any knife will do!

You can be an Instagram buddy too Mr. Lapedog. Don’t feel inadequate, I’ll share my expensive spinner with you, and you don’t even have to own a Medford. Any knife will do!

And you're a nice guy too? I am finished for sure!

Please post your e transfer info so I can deposit all my money into your account.

And you're a nice guy too? I am finished for sure!

Please post your e transfer info so I can deposit all my money into your account.

No money needed Mr. Lapedog. A cheap knife, Bic pen and plastic spinner is all you need to join the club. Do you know I once used a plastic knife to cut a sandwich in half. Remember what Freud said: sometimes a knife is just a knife.

Glad to hear that there have been improvements in the warranty department since I had to use it.

Might dip my toe in the medford water again with one of their production praetorians.

Like I said earlier, I enjoy their knives. They are kind of fun because they are a little bit silly. Just my warranty experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

Out of interest did you deal with Greg directly and what sort of warranty issues were they?

Matt

I own quite a few Medford’s and find myself carrying them more than others. And I actually use them. Not sure if I’d skin an animal with one, I’m would imagine there are better blades for that type of work. I have used there warranty on two occasions for minor issues and once for a knife a purchased used. I found their customer support to be extremely attentive and never had any push back for my requests. Do I think Medford’s are overpriced... yes, some are, but so are a lot of other knife makers. But the Medford’s I own are sturdy, work for me, and i like their designs. Medford have treated me with nothing but respect as customer and the turn around on fixing the few issues was very quick. They also went above and beyond the fix on the knife I bought used. Just my experience.

Thanks for the advice Mr.mt666tm. Tomorrow I’m buying an expensive flashlight, pen and spinner, opening an Instagram account, and posting pics for geeks. I’ll send you a link so you can be one of my first Instagram buddies! I hope I can count on you to get a :thumbsup:! Appreciate it!

I'll be your follower for sure. LOL, glad you guys can it ;) Great if you like the knives, they're not for me.

Obviously they can cut things, they're knives after all, but there are other options at the same price point that I find more useful.

I'm sure one day I'll take the plunge and get one. The Marauder looks nice. The warranty thing is odd. I'd take it apart on day one regardless.

There was a recent thread here by a guy from somewhere in the EU who really used his Medford hard, enough that people were bitching at him as they are wont to do, and it looked like other than his poor sharpening skills (IMO) the knife took it all in stride. Not too surprising considering the crazy tank build.

I do think Greg hurts his business, I get where he is coming from to a point but he could be a hell of a lot more diplomatic about it to begin with. Now if he want all Jerry Busse with his warranty I think he'd be surprised at how well it would turn out.

I'd like to pick one up at some point, they are a bit $$$ for me though.

No money needed Mr. Lapedog. A cheap knife, Bic pen and plastic spinner is all you need to join the club. Do you know I once used a plastic knife to cut a sandwich in half. Remember what Freud said: sometimes a knife is just a knife.

Edit: Thank you bro, maybe there is hope yet.

Last edited:
There was a recent thread here by a guy from somewhere in the EU who really used his Medford hard, enough that people were bitching at him as they are wont to do, and it looked like other than his poor sharpening skills (IMO) the knife took it all in stride. Not too surprising considering the crazy tank build.

I do think Greg hurts his business, I get where he is coming from to a point but he could be a hell of a lot more diplomatic about it to begin with. Now if he want all Jerry Busse with his warranty I think he'd be surprised at how well it would turn out.

I'd like to pick one up at some point, they are a bit $$$ for me though.

If Medford gave the no questions asked life time guarantee his knives SHOULD come with I think he would make WAY more in sales than he would lose in warranty.

I understand though that because of the nature of the knife people might try to do abusive things. ( ie: "My Medford folder blade broke! It wasn't as strong as my Kabar fixed blade, what a piece of garbage")

But then fine, he doesn't have to cover abuse. Taking a knife apart is NOT abuse! It is part of knife CARE!

I'm sure one day I'll take the plunge and get one. The Marauder looks nice.

I have a Marauder (drop point version), and although it looks nice, it's my least favourite of the three I own.
The real issue is the handle scales; they are just too "slabbish" at the edges.
If they were rounded, it would actually be a fairly comfortable handle, but they have only the slightest chamfer.

It came sharp--very sharp--and is surprisingly thin behind the edge on the one I got (although it thickens quickly closer to the spine due to stock thickness), but the handle edges being so damn square makes it less enjoyable to use as a knife. :(

Out of curiosity, how can he/they at Medford tell if you've disassembled the knife? assuming you make a good pivot tool(s) and you don't bubba the pivot/screws I'm sure you can get away with it.

Unless he has some sort of a tamper-proof indicator

Out of curiosity, how can he/they at Medford tell if you've disassembled the knife? assuming you make a good pivot tool(s) and you don't bubba the pivot/screws I'm sure you can get away with it.

Does he have some sort of a tamper

Spyderco had mentioned looking at the screws; there will only be small tool marks in one direction if they have only been tightened.
Any time you use a tool to tighten or loosen a screw, there will be small marks made, even if they are only visible under magnification.

If a company really cares to know, they'll take the time to look.

Spyderco had mentioned looking at the screws; there will only be small tool marks in one direction if they have only been tightened.
Any time you use a tool to tighten or loosen a screw, there will be small marks made, even if they are only visible under magnification.

If a company really cares to know, they'll take the time to look.

Secret to avoid tool marks. (Also helps with stubborn screws so they won't strip)

Take a little strip of thin rubber band. Lay one layer of rubber band over the screw where it accepts the torx driver. (Or whatever screw type)

Now push down through the rubber band and turn the screw. You might have to use a driver that is one size smaller.

18iy1cjme5vzgpng.png

Also great for extra traction on screws that have already been damaged.

EVERYONE SHOULD LEARN THIS!! I hope it helps.

Secret to avoid tool marks. (Also helps with stubborn screws so they won't strip)

Take a little strip of thin rubber band. Lay one layer of rubber band over the screw where it accepts the torx driver. (Or whatever screw type)

Now push down through the rubber band and turn the screw. You might have to use a driver that is one size smaller.

18iy1cjme5vzgpng.png

Also great for extra traction on screws that have already been damaged.

EVERYONE SHOULD LEARN THIS!! I hope it helps.

^ I use Teflon plumber’s tape to do the same thing to minimize marring the screws on my knives and watches etc.

If I have to "falsify" my maintenance in order to meet some manufacturer's stipulations... I'm looking for another manufacturer.

Glad to hear that there have been improvements in the warranty department since I had to use it.

Might dip my toe in the medford water again with one of their production praetorians.

Out of interest did you deal with Greg directly and what sort of warranty issues were they?

Matt

I spoke with Greg directly on a very extreme lock-stick problem and he immediately told me to send it in. The issue with the knife I bought used was evidently taken apart and the detent ball was toast. I believe I spoke with Amy, sent it in, got it back within a week. I almost always carry either my Praetorian Genesis Ti, Infraction or Proxima.

Last edited:
Yup!! Teflon tape utilized this way has helped me many times! With a larger damaged screw electrical tape works we’ll also!
Learned that trick many moons ago!
:thumbsup:
Joe

^ I use Teflon plumber’s tape to do the same thing to minimize marring the screws on my knives and watches etc.

I'll be your follower for sure. LOL, glad you guys can it ;) Great if you like the knives, they're not for me.

Obviously they can cut things, they're knives after all, but there are other options at the same price point that I find more useful.

I'm sure one day I'll take the plunge and get one. The Marauder looks nice. The warranty thing is odd. I'd take it apart on day one regardless.

IDK... I kind of compare their warranty to Apple Care. I don’t really feel the need to take the knife apart nor am I chopping concrete with it. They’re very sharp and work for my needs. If it fails, I’m comforted by the fact Medford will take care of the problem. And I do have other brands I like just as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back