Moose Knife Passaround Review Thread

Aww, I have to wait five more weeks! It's not faaaaaaaaair!!!! :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:
fit.gif

OK, I feel better now. Thanks for listening guys. :D :p

It arrived safely last evening. Haven't spent a lot of time with it (seems rude to say 'it' to something that beautiful), but did use it to eat dinner. Made short work of the Moroccan Chicken.

I carried it around on my belt all evening (SO WHAT IF IT WAS IN THE HOUSE???). Very light. Often forget it was there.

Will report more this weekend. Need to spend time dusting off my superlatives.

Originally posted by Aardvark
I carried it around on my belt all evening...
Joe, I'm very interested in how the sheath carries. Please give us a good review and don't hold back.

Well, I'd expected to have this done sooner. But you know the old saying: "The best-laid mice...".

I will be repeating what others have said, because it's almost impossible not to.

Please note that anything negative that I say about this knife is strictly nitpicking. It's also very possible
that what I am seeing is wrong. Don't take at criticism, just as observations. I can find nothing
functionally wrong (barring one thing that I'm not sure about, which I'll cover later) with it, and would
buy it in a second (unless I'm broke or Uncle Bill as this special [...]).

The knife is beautiful, both in the materials used, and the manufacture. The blade shape is very elegant,
giving me the feeling that it wants to be a cavalry saber when it grows up. Unfortunately, it looks like
somebody spilled a bunch of mustard on it. Actually, I like the etch a lot. I didn't expect to, because I
wasn't wild about the way my Okapi looked after I'd given it the mustard treatment, but this one looks a lot
better. It totally changes the character of the knife, from a showpiece, to something very comfortable. Maybe
it's not having to worry about scratching a highly polished blade.

The blade has a tiny tendency to curve to the left, looking at it from the top. Tiny.

The guard plate has a very nice shape and feels very comfortable pushing against my index finger. The meeting
of the plate and the blade are not perfect. There are 2 small gaps on the left side, between the slot and the
blade. This is the possibly functional problem that I mentioned earlier. Depending on how far down into the
plate these gaps go, there might be internal rust problems, probably about the time Sol decides to go nova.
Again, a nit.

The handle has a much more natural feel to it than I would have expected, with the drop at the end. The size,
both length and girth are just right for me. The tapering at the end allows the smaller fingers to grip
securely, exactly the opposite of a khuk handle. The finish on the moose antler is much more uneven than it
would have been on a wood handle. Be interesting to see how it would look after a couple years of use. Maybe
Dan could post pictures in the future.

The antler material itself is very interesting, with the texture being more like bone than the buffalo horn
we are used to seeing on the khuks. And I DID NOT expect to see green in an antler. Is that natural, or a
result of the polishing? In any case, I found myself spending more time staring at that handle than any other
part of the knife.

The diagonally cut ring in the handle is rotated a little to the right (nit, squared).

The ray skin on the sheath is much more golden than the picture would have you believe. Beautiful stuff.
HARD. A little of the gold color has been worn off the spine side of the sheath. I have no idea whether that
is a one-time thing, due to the bending of the skin, or whether it will progress. The fit of the knife in the
sheath is one of the tightest I have felt, but the draw is very smooth. Not a fast-draw sheath, but you're
never going to lose the knife, even if you hang upside down, which is more important than a lightning draw.
The blade fits very deeply into the sheath, with only 2 1/2 inches protruding. When I first drew it, I used
thumb and both forefingers, resulting in a very awkward grip, and a bunch of fumbling until I had it securely
in my palm. When I got smart (let that one go) and drew it with my little and ring fingers, I had it exactly
in my hand, ready to work.

The carry on the belt is very natural, with a good angle. As I mentioned in a prior post, it is vary easy to forget about, it is
so light. I had it on the entire time I was tuning my son's bike for his kid's triathlon. Didn't get in the
way. Couldn't for the life of me figure out a use for it in that situation, though.

The belt loop would benefit from a little neatsfoot oil. Seems a tad brittle.

I don't think I've ever knowingly seen a full convex edge. It makes the blade seem much wider than it is,
probably because the eye sees no interruptions for the entire width of the blade. I definitely need to learn
how to do that.

The 'workout' I gave the knife was kind of a joke. It happily slice some chicken, fish, and a melon. Plus
trimmed a few suckers from a plum tree. No villains slain, not even a gopher. Whittled a little from a dry
apple branch. Wish I could have more strenuous work for it.

Thanks very much for the opportunity to examine it, Dan, and for trusting us with it. I only hope that, when
I start making knives, one of them turns out as good as this.

Originally posted by Aardvark

1. The blade has a tiny tendency to curve to the left, looking at it from the top.

2. The meeting of the plate and the blade are not perfect.

3. The finish on the moose antler is much more uneven than it
would have been on a wood handle.

4. And I DID NOT expect to see green in an antler. Is that natural, or a result of the polishing?

5. The diagonally cut ring in the handle is rotated a little to the right.

6. A little of the gold color has been worn off the spine side of the sheath.

7. The belt loop would benefit from a little neatsfoot oil. Seems a tad brittle.

That's all you could come up with? :eek: Y'all need to do a lot more lookin'. I still have a least a dozen other errors popping around in my head...

That said, Joe, you did a pretty job nabbing the "obvious" ones. Now, let's see if anyone can find the "not-so-obvious" ones...:D

4. polishing

5. this one made me laugh. After I had glued it back up, I realized it had "rotated" just a bit. Too late! :D

6. That was me. The sheath was getting its hot-oil-and-wax bath and I was a little too aggressive trying to buff it. After letting it cool more :rolleyes: I tried to see if I could remove any more of the gold, and it wouldn't come off. My guess is that normal wear-and-tear won't make it rub off anymore.

7. I'm not even sure what part of the cow that piece came from. Might be "elephant scrotum" - like they talk about over in ShopTalk. I left it tough on purpose because I had long-term use in mind for this one. A little oil never hurts, though.

The blade fits very deeply into the sheath, with only 2 1/2 inches protruding. When I first drew it, I used thumb and both forefingers, resulting in a very awkward grip, and a bunch of fumbling until I had it securely in my palm. When I got smart (let that one go) and drew it with my little and ring fingers, I had it exactly in my hand, ready to work.

Glad you figured that out. That was one of my concerns about belt carry - that you'd be able to draw it and sheath it ok. I like 'em tight and locked up, so that's what I did. If I need to toss it into a bag or backpack, I can do so with confidence.

The carry on the belt is very natural, with a good angle. As I mentioned in a prior post, it is vary easy to forget about, it is
so light.

:cool:

Thanks very much for the opportunity to examine it, Dan, and for trusting us with it. I only hope that, when I start making knives, one of them turns out as good as this.

Well, that was the idea, after all. I'm not trying to say that this is the best made knife out there. Actually, I started this passaround with the idea that maybe a few of you could see that making a knife really isn't that difficult and that's it's ok to screw up here and there, as long as you keep learning.

Thanks for the review, Joe.

Dan

pendentive
I have a question about your Moose knife. Did you use a full convex grind on the blade(spine to edge) or just the edge. I like the looks of the knife that you made. In general I am not that big of a fan of that style of handle but I think that it camne together nicely. I am in the middle of my first knife and am doing a full convex grind, from spine to edge. So far, so good, just wanted to see if you had any advice. You seem to be thr grandmaster of the convex edge:)
Thanks

I am posting Bruz's review that was posted on another thread:

---------------------------------------------------

Well, the Moose has come and gone...great knife. Had a party and everyone oood and ahhhd about it. Is that bone? No, it's horn or antler. No, it's like rock! Was fun to see everyone's reaction.

I play at making knives and know how hard it is to "stabalize" a handle. You did a fine job. Nice cut lines, well centered. The sheath looks great as well. The ray is very nice, what is it died with?

The blade is "simple" yet very functionable and fit the handle well. The little nick on the tip of the blade bugged me, but with the finish I did not want to risk grinding it out. The finish complimented the handles colors so looked good. Do not think I would use that finish on just any knife however.

OK, what can I nit pick? Hmmm, the only thing I might of have done is stuck a Mosaic Pin in the glue hole, but it is not that noticable.

Overall a fine knife I would be proud to own! Thanks for the opportunity to fondle it!

---------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by feth
I have a question about your Moose knife. Did you use a full convex grind on the blade(spine to edge) or just the edge.
Side note: This was the post I was replying to when the forum went down...:eek:

Anyway, the moose knife is ground top to bottom, spine to edge.

On the Village Model khukuris that I did (since they already had a hefty bevel, and I did not want to redo the face of the blade) I did not grind them spine to edge. However, I came pretty darn close - within around 1/32" of the spine on a one or two of them.

It's an easy edge to put on, if you're patient. If you're not patient, then it will kick your butt and you'll give up on it. You have to go slow with it or you'll just end up with a multi-beveled edge instead of a convex edge.

Dan

Osiyo Gang!!!!
Had to run up to my b-i-laws place to borrow their computer. Sorry to say the Moose Knife left my possesion this afternoon, headed to OKC now.:(
I like the Moose Knife, a lot!!!!
The blade reminds me of a Fowler's Pronghorn. :) I found a few faults with it, many of them already mentioned.
It appears that Dan ground the convex edge after the handle had been put on because it wasn't ground right up close to the guard. Also the blade had some dips in it from the grinding above the convex edge.
There was also some grind marks in the blade. The sheath is nice and well fitted, but the outer leather looks really sloppy to me. It's nothing that couldn't be fixed with some careful cutting of a new piece.
I think a slightly thicker piece would look better and especially with nicely rounded edges that have been polished.

I would've liked the blade better had Dan have left about an inch ricasso instead of trying to sharpen right to the guard. And I would've rounded the corners off the spine to make it more user friendly.

I liked the knife overall, really surprised me that the handle was as comfortable as it was.:)
It fit my hand perfectly.:D
I fixed the point and sharpened it as it came to me rather dull. I hope Joel is careful when he takes it outta the little round box.:eek:
I wish I had of had more time as I was pretty sick for 3 of the days it was with me so I didn't get to use it other than cutting open the box containing my new Foxy's Follie.:D

Really happy it's finally coming my way, but you shoulda kept it a few days longer Yvsa. I'm always patient. Do hope it gets here by Saturday or monday though, as I think I'm gonna be stuck in Dallas again for at least part of next week.

Oh yeah, and thaks for review and happy to see you back man. :)

Back