Moose Knife Passaround Review Thread

Somehow with bladeforums being down, this thread got dropped...

Where's the lil' rascal now?

I'll have to check my list.

I was beginning to wonder the same thing, hope it pops up somewhere!:eek:

I sent it on it's way on 8/14/03, have not seen any posts since?

I have it, sorry. And a whole bunch of crap has happened here at home, so this has been pushed to back burner.

Will try to give some more input later, but here's what I have now. Most of stuff has already been covered, so I'll keep it short.

FIrst off Dan, I love the piece, and so does my old roommate. That horn looks amazing. Didn't think there'd be that many shades/colors in it. Just assume that I'd type more praise here if I had time.

Only a coupla little things I'd say, that others have probably already covered.

I'm unsure on the rayskin, haven't decided if I like it yet or not(partly because of the color). But I do think it would have done better as an inset then as a full piece. It's showing stress//wear/not sure what else to call it at the fold on spine side of sheath. This doesn't look very good. Well, it makes it look used, and I like that idea, but don't like how the rayskin ages/wears.

I would prefer a ricasso on the blade. That being said, I can't for the life of me get a good plunge for a ricasso on any knives I make, so can understand someone not putting one there. :)

Only other little thing is that bubble in the epoxy where the tang is. And not jsut that, but the epoxy itself. I wish it was closer to color of handle. THing is though, not sure how you'd do it back on that part of the horn. Because that's part that has the huge variety/pattern of colors that I like. If it had been in the pretty solid white parts of the horn, would have just sugested mixing some of the dust from grinding in with the epoxy. So yet again, it's one of those things I notice, but I have no suggestions on how you could have done better, because I know I would havebeen able to.

Anwyays, hope that's helpful/what you were looking for/etc. Had hoped to get more input from friend i had check it out, but that ended up not happening.

Putting it in box and taking it to PO now. Roadrunner should have it by Monday at the latest, hopefully.

Yay, yay, yippee! :D :D :cool: :p :) :) Please e-mail me the tracking # when you send it so I'll know when it arrives, otherwise it might sit in the mailroom for weeks before I know about it. Thanks! :)

wait....yikes!

**passaround thread spiraling out of control...**

I need you to send it to Dwayne first. Sorry, RR. :(

He was supposed to get it before you, but I changed it around for Yvsa.

If you don't have the address, email me.

Dan

Sorry RR, you almost got it, but Dan caught me with an email right as I came back in here to pick up packages and leave. Just make sure you blame it on him, not me. ;)

And of course, being the genius I am, managed to open up the wrong passaround box. SO now get to repackage both things I was mailing out. :)

Glad I order these Priority mail boxes 25 or 50 at a time

You crack me up, Joel.

Dwayne - it's headed your way!

RR - you're next, buddy.

Thanks for the comments, by the way.

Dan

sad2.gif

Zal, it's tough, that's for sure. I'm being overly dramatic though, my attitude toward the whole thing is a little more like this guy :rolleyes:. It's no biggie in the long run, but I really am excited to see this thing. It's gorgeous in the pictures.

Shhhh, RR. It takes all the fun out of being overly dramatic when you call attention to it! ;)

Ahh well. I'm seriously looking forward to this blade. I've been blade-deprived of late and having one like this in my posession for a week will be just the boost I need. :)

RR and Zal, It'll be worth the wait :)
AND don't forget to really use it when you get it.
It inspired me to look for a blank I like and then attempt to find some antler or bone of a good dimension.
Still lookin tho.....sigh
so many plans, so little time :)
Tom

Hey Guys,
Finally getting around to posting about this knife, computer went haywire for three days. Talk about widthdrawl!! Quitting smoking was less difficult!:p
This thing is godawful sharp, I sat and cut strips of leather with ease, in fact its sharper than my skiving knife. I really like the way the mustard patina turned out, now I feel the need to try that myself! Its going to get some kitchen use tomorrow, as well as some carving on more leather, so far no signs of dulling.
The sheath is getting some treatment as well. Dan and I have agreed on some areas to strengthen so the new users will have something new to work with. Oh yea, Dan, That wax is a pain in the rear to work around!;) Contact cement wouldnt stick to anything, lol!! It is a real test and I thank you for that, gotta keep me on my toes! Pics coming soon as I can get them taken, the computer is still a little behind but its getting better.

Heres the pics of the re-covered sheath, its got a new overlay, belt loop, and a bit thicker welting. This knife is still scary sharp!:eek: Whatever kind of heat treat you did Pen is really holding up!

Back