New 14 run

I have Gorilla Glue at the house. That should work, right? Any reason not to use it?

Clean both surfaces with alcohol. Any oil will keep the glue from bonding properly. Micarta and metal should bond well with most glues. Wood has natural oils and expands/contracts, much harder to glue.

While unfortunate for those who's knives are losing the shields, it's a productive discussion. It helps us all know what to look for in GEC knives if we absolutely must have a pinned shield.

Apparently, any shield with features that might be damaged from the polishing process is subject to being glued instead of pinned. Makes sense but that would not have occurred to me if not for this thread.

I've never lost a shield on a GEC knife but I've lost them on two other knives that I can remember. I was fortunate enough to be able to find the shields and epoxy them back on. I don't look forward to the time when a shield falls off and I can't find it.
I would like to get a definitive answer on whether all the CC are not pinned. I had replied to Mike’s informative post on the issue to confirm but maybe he did not see it. Anyone know with 100% certainty? Anyone reach out to GEC about this?

I have Gorilla Glue at the house. That should work, right? Any reason not to use it?

Gorilla glue should be fine just use as little as possible...it tends to expand a little bit.

I personally wouldn't use Gorilla glue. I have never been too impressed with it. As waverave waverave said, it always expands and comes splooging out wherever it can. I guess it holds well enough but there are better options.
I would use 5 min epoxy or the like.

I would like to get a definitive answer on whether all the CC are not pinned. I had replied to Mike’s informative post on the issue to confirm but maybe he did not see it. Anyone know with 100% certainty? Anyone reach out to GEC about this?
We verified in previous posts, visually, that all the other CCs are pinned. The micarta seems to be the only one that is not.

I assume that all of the #14 mark side liners have a hole for a shield pin. I learned recently in a different thread that a pin hole doesn't necessarily mean the shield is pinned.

It's possible that folks with CC knives are seeing the pin hole and assuming there's a pin inside the hole when in reality, there might not be.

We verified in previous posts, visually, that all the other CCs are pinned. The micarta seems to be the only one that is not.
Yes I understand that was mentioned in previous posts. But when I saw Mike's comment, I questioned that as I interpreted Mike's comment that all CC are not pinned. Thanks.

I've made inquiries about the CC shield...awaiting a response. I'd like to find out what the deal is :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I assume that all of the #14 mark side liners have a hole for a shield pin. I learned recently in a different thread that a pin hole doesn't necessarily mean the shield is pinned.

It's possible that folks with CC knives are seeing the pin hole and assuming there's a pin inside the hole when in reality, there might not be.
Thank you for that info. You are making more clear to me. I thought maybe it was my misinterpretation again, as I was thinking there are different answers to this question. I appreciate your clarity on that!

I've made inquiries about the CC shield...awaiting a response. I'd like to find out what the deal is :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I had made inquires to when this happened to mine but not through GEC and when I brought it to the dealer's attention, the dealer was surprised and thought all were pinned. A call was made to Christine and as I said before, she indicated that "some" were glued and the answer as to why would have to be asked directly to Bill. So I guess we need to hear it from the "horses mouth."

IDK but that is a bummer. Maybe it is just me and glued is no big deal. But to me I wish I at least would have known beforehand as I have all the CC so far. Now it makes me think about the Ironwood I have reserved.

Having 2 members already have shields come un-glued is not a good sign.

I am not exactly thrilled to find this out. Although I don't really find myself liking my elderberry any less, I certainly won't be adding any more CC 14s to my collection.

Having 2 members already have shields come un-glued is not a good sign.

I am not exactly thrilled to find this out. Although I don't really find myself liking my elderberry any less, I certainly won't be adding any more CC 14s to my collection.
Yeah that is what I am thinking, especially at the premium of the CCs! Also, a rookie move by me, which I should have researched, is that the CC has nothing to do with Mr. Cargill. I thought that even though he was not making them, it was at least commissioned by him. A little research beforehand would have easily gave me the accurate answer. Live and learn.

Back