New 14 run

My attraction to the CCs was the fact that they are 2 blade knives.

So few 2 blade variants were produced overall, I wasn't feeling that particular about the branding. But now, if I have to worry about losing the shield when carrying it around, my elderberry is pretty much relegated to a showpiece. And you are certainly correct about the premium charged for them as well.

My uneducated wild guess is that the CC shields were already available and had no pins, so they had to be glued.

Yeah that is what I am thinking, especially at the premium of the CCs! Also, a rookie move by me, which I should have researched, is that the CC has nothing to do with Mr. Cargill. I thought that even though he was not making them, it was at least commissioned by him. A little research beforehand would have easily gave me the accurate answer. Live and learn.
So are , or would you be , worried about buying a Northfield knife because they are not being made by the founder of them ???

Harry

An adhesive wouldn't necessarily bother me if it were the right one. Sounds like whatever they used isn't doing the trick.

An adhesive wouldn't necessarily bother me if it were the right one. Sounds like whatever they used isn't doing the trick.
Maybe that's the holdup on the ironwood/cocobolo. Perhaps the glue refuses to stick to the wood?

So are , or would you be , worried about buying a Northfield knife because they are not being made by the founder of them ???

Harry
Maybe the founder is not making it, but still has an interest in it. GEC owns that brand right? So maybe it is an old name and they bought the brand. They are the manufacturer that owns the brand. Am I on the right track?

Get where you are coming from now. Looked on GEC and Northfield is a very old brand. But GEC has the rights now.

Also, Mr. Cargill is still living, right?

What are your thoughts?

Of course I started gabbing and now realize that maybe this is more appropriate on the Cripple Creek thread. Sorry back on track.

Last edited:
Maybe the founder is not making it, but still has an interest in it. GEC owns that brand right? So maybe it is an old name and they bought the brand. They are the manufacturer that owns the brand. Am I on the right track?

Get where you are coming from now. Looked on GEC and Northfield is a very old brand. But GEC has the rights now.

Also, Mr. Cargill is still living, right?

What are your thoughts?
I certainly appreciate what Mr. Cargill has accomplished in his life and things most likely would have been different were it not for his health . It would have been nice if he had commissioned them , but apparently he has sold the rights to the name .
Maybe I read something into what you said that is not there and if so , then I apologize Sir .
I have a few of the new Cripple Creeks and am happy with them and someday I will surely get at least one of the originals .

Harry

Regarding the pinning of shields with relief work on the CC 14s. When the Diamond Jack 15 harness and radio jacks came out, the factory had a very hard time affixing the shields properly on the ebonies due to the fancy diamond shields and that they would not be repeating the endeavor. Charlie has mentioned something to this effect a number of years ago.
Could also be a cost savings for the commissioner if the Cripple Creeks.

Last edited:
I was cutting open a package of bacon this morning and dropped mine on the tile floor in the kitchen. I can sadly confirm the shield is glued! At least the bacon came out good!

View attachment 1030345
Hahaha!! #3! Why did you have to drop it! You should be more careful. If you didn’t have dropped it, then the shield would not have fallen off! Hahaha! We have to find some humor in this! You are now part of the elite club now! Anyone else care to join.
Serously though, I am sure Bill has caught wind of this and I wonder what he is thinking?

Last edited:
Hahaha!! #3! Why did you have to drop it! You should be more careful. If you didn’t have dropped it, then the shield would not have fallen off! Hahaha! We have to find some humor in this! You are now part of the elite club now! Anyone else care to join.
Serously though, I am sure Bill have caught wind of this and I wonder what he is thinking?

I have to split the responsibility with the bacon company. Normally, the package has a split in the seal that can be pulled apart. Today’s package was sealed up tight, so I had to use the knife! Any other time this happens, I grab one of the kitchen knives. That’ll learn me!

I'd say it's better to drop it in the kitchen and knock it off where you can find the shield than to leave it to chance later. If I had one of these knives I would almost be inclined to remove the shield and resecure it myself with 2 part epoxy so I knew it was safe.

The CC's are now the Boker of the GEC world.
Sorry for your misfortune drj211 drj211 .
I have replaced a number of Boker shields, and I recommend two part epoxy. Cyanoacrylates like superglue are kind of brittle, and won't fill gaps well. Also, those insets look pretty shallow, so take a scribe and scratch up the surface under the shield to give the glue something to hold onto.

I asked SMKW for comment so this could be settled and we can all move on to enjoying this thread for its intended purpose. Everything else belongs in whine and cheese at this point.

"Darren : All production knives produced today feature shields that are glued in .. Case , Buck , Boker , Rough Rider, Marbles...and yes Cripple Creek... In fact the original Cripple Creek knife shields were also glued . For your general information , the shields we are using in this production and many more in the future are actually left over original production shields and were acquired when Cripple Creek sold out. Thanks for your support of the Brand and I would imagine that just not enough glue was put into the handle cavity before the shield was placed in the pocket... Hope this helps. Kevin Pipes"

I asked SMKW for comment so this could be settled and we can all move on to enjoying this thread for its intended purpose. Everything else belongs in whine and cheese at this point.

Wasn't the intended purpose of this thread to talk about the 14's?
What and cheese??

I have replaced a number of Boker shields, and I recommend two part epoxy. Cyanoacrylates like superglue are kind of brittle, and won't fill gaps well. Also, those insets look pretty shallow, so take a scribe and scratch up the surface under the shield to give the glue something to hold onto.

I think 2 part Epoxy is the right adhesive to use here, too.:thumbsup: And excellent advice to score both surfaces.

Back