New 14 run

Cec45LF.jpg
Nice pile side :)

Thanks for the info Darren. I have three of the CCs, the two jigged bone and the stag, all three appear to be pinned, but that could just be the pre-drilled liner that they would be using, although the pinning hole does appear to be soldered. I'll have to reinspect this evening.

full

The CC jigged bone and stag do appear to be pinned. I misspoke saying they were soldered. Guess it would be more of a compression fit to describe it.

I did not buy any knives in 2018...if I was to buy one it would be one if these 14’s. I just looked through the whole thread. The clip blades look fantastic and then cover choices are even better than the first run.

Just talked thru a couple #85 issues with Bill and while I had him on the phone asked for this CC shield explanation. Since the shield is "coined", there is a lot of raised detail. Smooth handled knives are sanded smooth after assembly while getting everything flush and fit. Since you can't sand the shield and you can't pin a shield after assembly - it has to be glued after sanding. The stag requires a bit more of your mind's eye. They weld a pin to the back of the shield supplied by SMKW. Customers don't tend to like the shield sitting proud on textured surfaces, therefore it has to be set below the lowest surface. Then you route out the shape and set the shield, then nip / rivet the pin from the back. While you are doing this you are applying a good bit of pressure so the shield itself has to fit on a jig to absorb the pressure coming from the back. In deep or awkward textured handles the shield can't make a good seat with the jig; thus to avoid damage somewhere they just glue these on as well.

They have solved these problems two ways on their own knives. 1) Smooth handles knives always get smooth shields; and 2) Stag doesn't get shields. But sometimes SFO's really want what the heart wants.

Chris had told me originally that they glued all CC pins. But I am learning to ask her if she has had her first coffee yet before believing anything she says.

CC Ironwood are on SMKW. The description is wrong though, says it's micarta.

I wonder if either GEC or SMKW replace a shield that fell off and was lost?

Last edited:
Finally!
GEC_14_CrippleCreek_03.jpg
GEC_14_CrippleCreek_04.jpg

I really like the Ironwood I got and I was still owed a stag from the second batch. Frank actually called me to ask if I wanted "the fattest stag" he's seen on any of these 14's. Of course, I said yes! I love one-offs and oddities...and also realize these 14's are pretty small and thin to handle. So why not try one with some fat ol' stag on it. This thing has meat to it!
GEC_14_CrippleCreek_05.jpg

I actually had 4 more along the way (Ironwood, Micarta, Appaloosa Bone and Snakewood SFOs)... but here is what I ended up with. I am really happy with my collection of 14's and thoroughly enjoyed the entire run from start to finish.
GEC_14_family_1.jpg

Finally!
View attachment 1034085
View attachment 1034086

I really like the Ironwood I got and I was still owed a stag from the second batch. Frank actually called me to ask if I wanted "the fattest stag" he's seen on any of these 14's. Of course, I said yes! I love one-offs and oddities...and also realize these 14's are pretty small and thin to handle. So why not try one with some fat ol' stag on it. This thing has meat to it!
View attachment 1034087

Those both look exceptional. I'll bet that Stag one has an awesome in hand grip.

I actually had 4 more along the way (Ironwood, Micarta, Appaloosa Bone and Snakewood SFOs)... but here is what I ended up with. I am really happy with my collection of 14's and thoroughly enjoyed the entire run from start to finish.
View attachment 1034104
Wow, that is an awesome collection of 14's! What happened to the other 4? I really like my Snakewood.
Larry

Wow, that is an awesome collection of 14's! What happened to the other 4? I really like my Snakewood.
Larry
The Northfields were so beautiful but they were a little too fancy for me (if that makes sense). I wanted to give them a shot because they were beautiful but the only really fancy knives I collect are the tortoise shells so I sold them both. I traded the Ironwood SFO to a FB friend for one of the finest S&M coke bottles I have ever seen and then donated the Micarta to a good cause raffle on FB :)

Back