New 14 run

I have replaced a number of Boker shields, and I recommend two part epoxy. Cyanoacrylates like superglue are kind of brittle, and won't fill gaps well. Also, those insets look pretty shallow, so take a scribe and scratch up the surface under the shield to give the glue something to hold onto.
That definitely sounds like a permanent fix!

The purpose is to discuss yes...when it turns into bashing it belongs in another sub forum. Its called Whine and Cheese.

I don't see any bashing.
In discussion there is room for both sides. Accolades and criticisms. All expressed in a friendly manner, as far as I see.
Let's get back on the topic of 14's.

Love this one! A special gift from a great friend who wished to remain anonymous!
WjFKxPQ.jpg

I asked SMKW for comment so this could be settled and we can all move on to enjoying this thread for its intended purpose. Everything else belongs in whine and cheese at this point.

"Darren : All production knives produced today feature shields that are glued in .. Case , Buck , Boker , Rough Rider, Marbles...and yes Cripple Creek... In fact the original Cripple Creek knife shields were also glued . For your general information , the shields we are using in this production and many more in the future are actually left over original production shields and were acquired when Cripple Creek sold out. Thanks for your support of the Brand and I would imagine that just not enough glue was put into the handle cavity before the shield was placed in the pocket... Hope this helps. Kevin Pipes"

If SMKW is interested in settling questions, I hope they will let us know if Bob Cargill is receiving some form of compensation from the Cripple Creek knives. The name was built on the sweat of his brow.

I understand that business is business JohnDF JohnDF . Apparently Cargill let the license lapse and others picked it up gratis. That is his fault, but I do not believe he has received a penny. Just because something is legal, does not make it right. At the very least, consumers should know.

And if it were not for nostalgia and an interest in the history of these knives, I doubt the Traditionals Subforum would exist. Heck, "getting swept up into the nostalgia" is probably why I collect traditional folders anyway. It certainly is not for profit or a practical need for a few dozen knives.

Part of me wants to agree with JohnDF JohnDF . It is good to see the logo carried into the future, but I cannot separate the man from the brand that he created. As Frank wrote, we all have our own opinions. Mine are just the ramblings of a nostalgic old fool who believes that sometimes you should do more than you are legally required to. But I certainly understand and respect the opinion of others.

Last edited:
The only way Bob Cargill should be receiving any compensation is if it was written into the sale of his brand.
Sorry, I know it's easy to get swept up into the nostalgia of these products, but business is business. From what I have gathered, the brand was sold not stolen. I think that SMKW carrying on the brand name is a testament to the man and the CC name, especially since it's being made in a quality factory here in the Good 'ol USA. Posted with all due respect to the man and his fans.

Last edited:
I don't see any bashing. Discussions often include dissenting opinions. Nothing wrong with that, as long as everyone is friendly about it and remembers that opinions are like belly buttons. We all got one and the next guy's is just as good as ours.

any bone handled CC shields popping out? or just the micartas?
So far just the micartas. If the jigged bone or stag versions have popped off I didn't see it in this thread. It has been confirmed that all of them are glued. For whatever reason, there just wasn't sufficient glue to keep them in the micarta material very well. It is unfortunate for sure but it looks like the weak spot might be isolated to the micartas. I guess we will find out about the Ironwoods whenever those are released :)

So far just the micartas. If the jigged bone or stag versions have popped off I didn't see it in this thread. It has been confirmed that all of them are glued. For whatever reason, there just wasn't sufficient glue to keep them in the micarta material very well. It is unfortunate for sure but it looks like the weak spot might be isolated to the micartas. I guess we will find out about the Ironwoods whenever those are released :)
Not being familiar with the physical properties of Micarta , is it possible that the glue is actually sinking down into the Micarta prior to the curing process to take place ????

Harry

Not being familiar with the physical properties of Micarta , is it possible that the glue is actually sinking down into the Micarta prior to the curing process to take place ????

Harry
It could be that was the case...maybe just not enough glue? It seems to me like micarta would actually be an ideal surface to adhere to because it isn't perfectly smooth.

Harry

That would be my guess Harry, micarta is more porous than you'd think.

Simple glue test:

1) Place the knife in the freezer for 40-45 minutes, then apply hand pressure to the edge of the shield

or

2) Use a hair dryer to warm the knife for about 90 seconds, then apply hand pressure to the edge of the shield

Either method will test the strength of the glue.

If the shield pops out, clean both surfaces then apply a *small amount* of glue to each surface.

If not, the shield will stay in place.

6G87WfJ.jpg

JB in SC JB in SC mentioned this brand of glue earlier.

It works! :D

- Del

That would be my guess Harry, micarta is more porous than you'd think.

Simple glue test:

1) Place the knife in the freezer for 40-45 minutes, then apply hand pressure to the edge of the shield

or

2) Use a hair dryer to warm the knife for about 90 seconds, then apply hand pressure to the edge of the shield

Either method will test the strength of the glue.

If the shield pops out, clean both surfaces then apply a *small amount* of glue to each surface.

If not, the shield will stay in place.

6G87WfJ.jpg

JB in SC JB in SC mentioned this brand of glue earlier.

It works! :D

- Del
Good tips DO

It could be that was the case...maybe just not enough glue? It seems to me like micarta would actually be an ideal surface to adhere to because it isn't perfectly smooth.
I don't think there lies the problem. I have a Rough Rider sodbuster in micarta whose shield fell off. I glued it with cyanoacrylate glue. Since no more problem.

Edited.
I spoke with Frank Powers today...and he spoke with Bill Howard this morning. Some updates I thought might interest you:
* GEC has no intention of only glueing shields in the future and will pin them whenever possible. Bill was shocked to hear that anything else was being insinuated.
* SMKW requested no pins on the CCs however some of the run was pinned I think he said most of the stags and jigged bones.
* Some shields cannot be pinned due to the design and if they will get worn down in the finishing process...not just the CCs but for any shield like that. So for smooth bones or micartas with a unique shield that has depth to it and would extend above the material.
* There was an issue with the etching stamp stencil for the CCs and it caused the delay in the Ironwoods. It is now fixed, They are done and being shipped out to SMKW and the Blue Ridge and Frank this week.

Last edited:
Back