New 14 run

I got a surprise when I went to the mailbox today. My stag Cripple Creek from Frank was there. I thought it would be tomorrow at the earliest. It is my first CC ever and I love it. The stag is fantastic, the blades are centered, love the blade etching and unique tang stamps, and the buffalo shield just tops it off. I thought I was done buying the 14's, but after Matt_WY posted the cover with the Canvas Micarta 14, I may not be done yet. I have never had a Micarta knife before. I also see that there is a Desert Ironwood one yet to drop, and I really love my only DI knife, the Whaler, that I have. So, I may have to call him and see if I can get a Micarta and/or Desert Ironwwod one. If any of you hear a loud scream, it will be my wallet! I may have to wait and try to get one off of the exchange.....at least that would put some time in between purchases.
Larry
View attachment 1015990
View attachment 1015991
View attachment 1015988
View attachment 1015989
Beauty!

Could somebody post a pic of a 14 beside a case peanut so I could get a size comparison? Thanks

While I don't have a direct, overhead shot with a ruler handy, I do have a picture of my single blade #14 Spear next to a Case Peanut.

0sITnqh.jpg

Looks like my Cripple Creek Stag is Landing today one day early .
Can’t wait to have it in my paws :D
I like my Elderberry so much it’s making me even more excited for the stag :thumbsup:
My Elderberry hasn’t left my pocket since it’s arrival.
0fC8lrq.jpg

Looks like my Cripple Creek Stag is Landing today one day early .
Can’t wait to have it in my paws :D
Don't you love it when Christmas comes a little early?:) I am positive you will be pleased with yours like I was with mine. Looking forward to seeing lots of pictures as they arrive.
Larry

Don't you love it when Christmas comes a little early?:) I am positive you will be pleased with yours like I was with mine. Looking forward to seeing lots of pictures as they arrive.
Larry
Yes who could not like 2 or more early Christmas’s and I’m sure liking your cripple creek :thumbsup:

-Ed

No pictures yet but Lyle's version arrived this afternoon, very quick delivery and I may have the first (and only...) in Europe:cool: Superb finish, GEC really bathed this one in oil it could be preserved for several centuries by the look of it:D

Been getting in quite a lot of knives recently and all tip top quality, have to balance the budget a bit...or else I won't be able to pay the electricity bill:eek: and then I'll have a few pennies for a tarp and start sleeping rough:D Tis NOT the season;)

Really pleased:thumbsup:

singin50 singin50 Thats some beautiful Stag !!
I asked Frank for some popcorn stag because I’ve never owned any :D
But I’m guessing withs such small covers it might be a tall order . Either way I’m Sure Frank will pick a nice one and from what I understand they all look stellar !!
Can’t wait to get home tonight :thumbsup:

Yeah Ed, I thought the same thing due to the smaller covers but apparently there are some out there. Gnobby, popcorn or whatever you want to call it, I’m happy!

I got my hands on both a Northfield and Cripple Creek stag, so I thought I'd show the two and some comparison (sorry for the poor pictures, this was quick). The Northfield I picked out from photos of the exact knife online. I tend to like the contrast of really white and dark stag. I was fully aware I was rolling the dice on the CC. While very well made and certainly attractive, it's not one that I would have picked out.

The shield on the CC is cool. Small, but appropriately so. The tang stamp looks classy, and shows on both blades. No other markings for material or pattern. The pen blade on the CC is slightly off center, but not rubbing.

So overall I like the presentation of the CC better. But I ended up with stag that I don't like as much. I'm not sure which I'll aim to keep, but I won't keep both. Maybe there will be another CC customer that likes mine and wants to trade. We'll see. I can always return it.

The other elephant in the room is the price. Not sure I'm supposed to talk about it, but it's a genuine concern. Is a shield and different tang stamp worth $30? I don't know. As the sales guys in my office say, that's a tough putt.

20181107_180359-756x1008_crop_604x604.jpg 20181107_180418(0)-756x1008_crop_604x604.jpg 20181107_180536-1008x756_crop_828x579.jpg

Hey Kiro, no question that it’s always a crap shoot where stag covers are concerned. I had to contact Frank personally, cause I wasn’t going to have it happen again to me. Frank was more than happy to help! That said, I don’t think your CC is ugly by any means. Just not perfectly matched, this matters to some and some don’t care.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned that there are more ebony 14s available :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I didn’t submit a request with Frank for my stag, but if I had picked one myself, it would have been what I recieved! I was crossing my fingers, playing the luck of the draw, and I feel like I won . Thanks Frank, and especially Darren for sharing the inside scoop on the CC’s! Pics soon...

~Jim

I didn’t submit a request with Frank for my stag, but if I had picked one myself, it would have been what I recieved! I was crossing my fingers, playing the luck of the draw, and I feel like I won . Thanks Frank, and especially Darren for sharing the inside scoop on the CC’s! Pics soon...

~Jim
My pleasure :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I'm glad you all were able to get what you wanted :) I'll definitely let Frank know to catch up on this thread, if he hasn't already, to see all the kudos and cool photos.

Back