New GSO 2.7 Thread

@Hard Knock. Pictures or maybe a small review?

I think I've posted most/all of the in-use pictures I've got of it so far Ruudr. I've used it several nights while catfishing, but it's been after dark, so not good for picture-taking.

I guess to add to the other thoughts I had earlier in the thread, I would say to give the 2.7 a chance if it's an appealing design to you. The 2.7 I wasn't sure about at first. But now that I'm getting used to it, I'm liking it very much, and really appreciating how easy it carries.

I've put this one to use mostly cleaning trout and clipping fishing line. Nothing too rough, and I don't plan on getting rough with the 2.7. It clips trout gills and guts trout really well. It removes excess monofilament line from hook eyes effortlessly :thumbup: (up to 40# because I've been hoping for the big one :) ).

I'm thinking the chubby scales on the 2.7 lend it less to a piggyback rig than the 3.5 with the slim scales. Although a 2.7 on the belt paired with a larger blade in the pack, now that might be a really nice little carry :thumbup:

Hope this helps. Only having it for a very short time, that's really all I've got bud.

Cheers

ETA: I don't believe I posted these here in the 2.7 thread:

Thanks, HK. Delish!

HK, your thoughts so far make a lot of sense. So, not you, but in general, there almost seems to be a noticeable amount of hesitation about the 2.7 because it is small. I never sensed the same thing with the necker II. What's up with that? Nobody expects the 2.7 to compete with the 4.1, right? People in other areas support the idea of a neck knife and there's loads of people who like becker neckers and izulas. I'm really looking forward to trying out the 2.7 for what it is.......... because I'm not expecting a hand filling camp knife, I'm just expecting a tiny light duty blade.

I'm really looking forward to trying out the 2.7 for what it is.......... because I'm not expecting a hand filling camp knife, I'm just expecting a tiny light duty blade.

I think that's the right way to look at it Silver. I'm a big fan of the little companion blades, so the 2.7 is right up my alley. Also, I know you were curious about the square butt. After getting some use on it, I'm not finding that it's a problem for me. It's actually very comfortable for such a tiny blade, probably the most comfortable blade in that size that I've tried. The extra-small blades generally give up a lot of comfort and ergonomics, but not the 2.7. I was just expecting it to be like the 3.5 and it's not, so that threw me for a loop for a bit.

I should mention also that this is the first 20CV blade that I've tried. I intentionally rinsed it after cleaning those trout and shoved it back in the sheath wet. There were no signs of rust or discoloration the next morning. The blade and sheath were dry by then, and I did give it a light coat of oil at that point.

Thanks for the small review and your thoughts! It indeed makes sence that the 2.7 is a small blade and no comparison for a 4.7 or a other heavy duty blade. This is a nice back up or smaller camp knife. Hopefully mine will come next month.

Also, I know you were curious about the square butt. After getting some use on it, I'm not finding that it's a problem for me. It's actually very comfortable for such a tiny blade, probably the most comfortable blade in that size that I've tried. The extra-small blades generally give up a lot of comfort and ergonomics, but not the 2.7. I was just expecting it to be like the 3.5 and it's not, so that threw me for a loop for a bit.

I should mention also that this is the first 20CV blade that I've tried. I intentionally rinsed it after cleaning those trout and shoved it back in the sheath wet. There were no signs of rust or discoloration the next morning. The blade and sheath were dry by then, and I did give it a light coat of oil at that point.

Your memory and attention to detail know no bounds! Thank you for alleviating my unfounded concern!

Great, real world corrosion test. Glad it passed so well. What a sweet little blade!

Thanks, HK. Delish!

HK, your thoughts so far make a lot of sense. So, not you, but in general, there almost seems to be a noticeable amount of hesitation about the 2.7 because it is small. I never sensed the same thing with the necker II. What's up with that? Nobody expects the 2.7 to compete with the 4.1, right? People in other areas support the idea of a neck knife and there's loads of people who like becker neckers and izulas. I'm really looking forward to trying out the 2.7 for what it is.......... because I'm not expecting a hand filling camp knife, I'm just expecting a tiny light duty blade.

Not HK, but I am a fan of small blades that are big enough for real cutting chores. If you have a folder in that size range (2.5 - 3") and find it useful, seems to me a FB would also be handy. What kills a lot of neck knives or other small fixed blades for me is their way-too-small handles. I have small hands and I can go down to 3.5" handles with a 4 finger grip. That is as small as I like. A Delica (spyderco obviously) has a 4" handle and 3" blade and that is a pretty good combination without being too tiny. The Izula II is the same I think. The appeal to me of the SK 2.7 was the smallish blade, but usable handle, and a first-rate steel. That is a rare combination! I ordered one as soon as the starter was posted. Can't wait to get it!!!

I snagged a 2.7 2nd a couple other members here had passed along and got it in today. I planned to get a handful of this model for my nephews, seemed to me it would be a good knife for them to learn some basics on with the short, easily controlled blade.

Well, they might not be getting them now, I really like this one. We could thumb wrestle for them I suppose... I've got big hands but I can still get 4 fingers on the handle, though my pinky is a little crowded. The blade is very small but with the full grip that just makes it very easy to control.

I did my first attempt at a try stick with the 2.7 after I unboxed it. The sloppiness is all me, the knife was very easy to use and comfortable throughout. The tip made the square hole a bit of a task but it still went quickly.

19be2eaf44585f724cc4b5246e6be5f0.jpg

I don't have a clue what the root stripper end is supposed to look like so I pretty much just made a big fork.

1cff81ee1c5e4a960744840ba9b7bb08.jpg

This is my first 20CV blade by S!K. It would still push cut paper afterwards but not quite as cleanly, there's a bit of raggedness to the cuts. Similarly it would still shave arm hair but it didn't just wipe the hair off like it did before. There's still a lot of working edge left in it though, I think it could've kept going for a good while before it needed touching up.

f399697270e75c5d5bb52e56b180b892.jpg

I've never been interested in them before but this knife makes me want to try an inside the pocket type fixed blade sheath. The sheath retention and build are very good, it just seems like a bit too much bulk for such a small blade.

a5bffda9b235e725b5cb62bc8d7b13ff.jpg

I think this is going to make an excellent backup or neck knife that can punch well above its size.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Grogimus, thanks for the writeup and pictures.

I had a guy send mail a Sharpshooter pocket/slip sheath. I am going to use it for another knife, and when my 2.7 comes in I will try it. I am going to have one made if it looks like it will work. Check Sharpshooter out.

Edit, I have no idea if sharpshooter makes sheaths. When I have one made it will be a custom sheath by anow individual.

yee ha! Just got shipping notice for my 2.7 starter. I'm pretty excited to get this and put it to work!
I expect it will become my edc pocket fixed blade!

yee ha! Just got shipping notice for my 2.7 starter. I'm pretty excited to get this and put it to work!
I expect it will become my edc pocket fixed blade!

Sweet! What was your order date?

They must really be mixing things up in the shop as far as how they're working on things. Variety is the spice of life!

3/9/2015

wow, it's been a while :) But we are all in that boat and I'm sure it will be worth the wait. And I did have my first gen 3.5 to get me through :)

Wow! Early orderer :thumbup:

Was that the very first day of the starter campaign?

3/9/2015

wow, it's been a while :) But we are all in that boat and I'm sure it will be worth the wait. And I did have my first gen 3.5 to get me through :)

I received my notice two days ago as well. I am very excited to put this one to the test, I love my 3.5 and think this will be better for an EDC.

I've ordered mine the 25th of March 2015. won't be too long before I get my shipping notice :D

Back