Off Topic Not even a snark-wide pandemic can keep us down...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It begins we got an inch of snow this morning . I started work 2 hours early and left 2 hours early. Freezing rain/ sleet started @2:30 I put a tarp over my windshield and I am in . Supposed to get at least 6 inches up to 12 . First serious snow in about 4 years . I am ready to clean my driveway but will have to wait for the roads to clear for work tomorrow

3ยฐ right now, wind chill is -17ยฐ. Snowing like a mofo, We're supposed to get 6-10".

Yucko.

Our most recent prediction has turned to rain, which I prefer at this point. I need to travel tomorrow (or they'll push the schedule a day) and would like to get it over with.

Currently 77 degrees... But weather app says we should be getting some mid to high 30 degree temps Friday and Saturday.

But... The... Rain.... Lots and lots of rain.

Right now it is sleet more than snow so we aren't getting the big snow fall they were predicting for The last couple of days. Still nasty outside, I am kicked back in the recliner reading my Bible

Hi,, everyone!

At the rate We're going, we will probably have right at or just below a foot of snow by morning.

Yeah, Indiana is covered as well. Good to see you back around Jerry.

That radar never updated for some reason. Never had that problem with that site before.

I heard that the wind this week might get up to 40 knots offshore.
Nothing here, no rain, no clouds, no freezing temps, just idiots in government screwing up a perfectly good coastline.
~
Looks like I got a modest bbq build request. Back to the drawing board.

Snowed Sunday into Monday and it's still here!

Y4QDCGi.png

Something like 4.6 million Texans without power. Fortunately we aren't among them - for now.

But we are among those whose pipes froze.

Will assess them damage when it thaws.

I remember as a kid, we used to keep the water dripping so it wouldn't freeze up. If it did freeze up, we used to crawl under the house, and heat the pipes up with a propane torch, haha. Ah, the good old days...

Stupid question for Y'all Southern's.... With the cold temps why are your pipes freezing?
I can understand when your power goes out for long periods of time, but it seems like it was pretty common there for a lot of people? And it seemed to happen quickly.

because of above ground water pipes? No basements?

mine enter our house underground. When our road was getting redone, the pipes were a good 20-30 feet underground. I was surprised they went that deep.

we got spring rain overnight and today. Now the sun's out and most of the snow has migrated south to Texas for the winter. Weird.

Stupid question for Y'all Southern's.... With the cold temps why are your pipes freezing?
I can understand when your power goes out for long periods of time, but it seems like it was pretty common there for a lot of people? And it seemed to happen quickly.

because of above ground water pipes? No basements?

mine enter our house underground. When our road was getting redone, the pipes were a good 20-30 feet underground. I was surprised they went that deep.

Our pipes don't typically run very deep, so if it's cold long, water lines in roads will burst - especially for older systems.

In houses it seems like a few culprits are common. Failure to properly cover outside faucets is pretty common. Pipes that aren't insulated in any way on an outside wall. Failure to drip/run your faucets at night. Lots of folks seem to be having pipes in their attics freezing. Some who have their water heater in the garage are having freezing on their hot water side if they didn't keep it dripping even as their cold water supply keeps working. One I found out about today was failure to drain your yard sprinkler system. Lots of houses also have their water supply come in above ground.

I'm not sure what all else.

Our pipes don't typically run very deep, so if it's cold long, water lines in roads will burst - especially for older systems.

In houses it seems like a few culprits are common. Failure to properly cover outside faucets is pretty common. Pipes that aren't insulated in any way on an outside wall. Failure to drip/run your faucets at night. Lots of folks seem to be having pipes in their attics freezing. Some who have their water heater in the garage are having freezing on their hot water side if they didn't keep it dripping even as their cold water supply keeps working. One I found out about today was failure to drain your yard sprinkler system. Lots of houses also have their water supply come in above ground.

I'm not sure what all else.
Yeah, I have my outside water faucets with special valves that go deep into my house, so they won't freeze. They aren't as common. Most people here have to shutoff their outside water around thanksgiving or early December.... That's the same weekend I put away the patio furniture for the year, and put on my snowtires....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back