Off Topic Not even a snark-wide pandemic can keep us down...

Status
Not open for further replies.
we topped out at 63 today officially - may hit 70 tomorrow.
less than a week ago we bottomed out at -18 at my house not counting wind chill.

That's is a huge temp swing. Is that typical? We're getting a bit of a warm spell over the next few days. Temps will be above freezing which means lots of melting snow and possibly flooding. Been a crazy winter.

Got to the mid 40's here today. Supposed to hit 52ยฐ tomorrow.

That's is a huge temp swing. Is that typical? We're getting a bit of a warm spell over the next few days. Temps will be above freezing which means lots of melting snow and possibly flooding. Been a crazy winter.

neither is typical for us for this time of year.
lows should be in the 20's, highs in the 40's.
it's actually been about 30 years since we had a stretch of temps that cold for that long.

I got my first axis lock type knife today. Hogue ex03. Knife feels great in the hand, though its blade heavy due to the light handle and thick blade. I cant wait to put it to more use. Im so accustomed to liner and frame locks that this lock feels a little awkward to me to boot.

edit: i had thought this lock had the same internals as the able lock just actuated differently, but thats not the case. This has a plunge lock. Very cool knife regardless.

Last edited:
I got my first axis lock type knife today. Hogue ex03. Knife feels great in the hand, though its blade heavy due to the light handle and thick blade. I cant wait to put it to more use. Im so accustomed to liner and frame locks that this lock feels a little awkward to me to boot.

edit: i had thought this lock had the same internals as the able lock just actuated differently, but thats not the case. This has a plunge lock. Very cool knife regardless.
Congrats on the Hogue :thumbsup:! So far Iโ€™m really liking the Hogue Ritter :thumbsup: seems very well made. Smooth and solid :thumbsup::thumbsup:
DF8BA3CF-370E-41D1-93BB-5A6727E8ADEB.jpeg 18FD41B9-677F-468D-B868-238CCAB799FF.jpeg

I went ahead and changed to the black hardware :)

Last edited:
Thanks. It opens with such authority that it has flown right out of my hand three times. I cant say ive ever done that before.

3GvOfyo.jpg

Only issue is the plunge lock has a bit of stick to it. Trying to work the button, it has stabbed me once. I havent cut myself in many moons. Im still digging it overall. I do have another button lock knife, a kershaw dimension. 8cr, chinese, speedsafe.

Can I order some of that snow fall from Texas? I don't look forward to spring & summer. Been desert weather lately, tee shirts by day, wool by night.

Can I order some of that snow fall from Texas? I don't look forward to spring & summer. Been desert weather lately, tee shirts by day, wool by night.

Aw, man. You should have asked sooner. We'd have sent you all you wanted. We're back up in the upper 70's and humid again. I'm trying my best not to fire up the A/C in the house, but I'm weak and will probably give in soon.

I was using that bk5 tonight for dinner and that knife sure is piece of art. Makes me think of it as perfect knife that hearkens back to a more feudal era. Like the seax that was a knife that everyone carried which was essential to carry out their tasks. Not used so much for processing wood, but a tool that someone had on them at all times. The bk5 feels like a knife that would excel at such a role.

I was using that bk5 tonight for dinner and that knife sure is piece of art. Makes me think of it as perfect knife that hearkens back to a more feudal era. Like the seax that was a knife that everyone carried which was essential to carry out their tasks. Not used so much for processing wood, but a tool that someone had on them at all times. The bk5 feels like a knife that would excel at such a role.

The shape of the 5 is amazing. Incredibly useful and efficient. Do you have a 15?

Sadly, no. I was too late to the game to be able to pick one up. I can only imagine its ability to slice. I try to keep an eye out for one priced reasonably but its either priced absurd or its just at a bad time.

I wish I would have bought a 2nd and 3rd 15 when I had the chance and they were 30 something dollars on clearance. It's the only knife that I've ever liked more than my 9.

Dang thats a good deal. I bet many people regret not buying 2 or 3.

Sounds like there have been many good deals in days past. I dont think well be seeing anything like that ever again.

Got a Condor Woods Wise in today. Smaller than I thought. Cool little knife, but the grinds are way off. Have had this problem with Condor before.

I've had some good ones, but yes, bad ones too. They need to up their QC. Here's a photo of the grind. Not sharp from the red line down, and in the circle, you can see the uneven grind:

Cool little knife though:

Did I say little?

Oh, that is wee!

For the price and production methods, that seems like a reasonable fault.
It does need to see a good coarse stone back near the plunge.
Is there glue between the scales and the tang, or just the flared tubes?
Interesting thought experiment to imagine what it would cost me to produce something similar (and if anyone would buy it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back