"Old Knives"

QRJcHCp.jpg

I've posted this Challenge before but I will again, I'm sure you all won't mind. :D Though it has rust pitting on the bolsters and the bolster end of the springs and bit here and there on the blades, it still has great walk'n'talk and no wobble/play. In the right light you can still make out the blade etch and its scary sharp and still has full blades. Challenge definitely was a top tier knife in their hayday imho:cool::thumbsup:

QRJcHCp.jpg

I've posted this Challenge before but I will again, I'm sure you all won't mind. :D Though it has rust pitting on the bolsters and the bolster end of the springs and bit here and there on the blades, it still has great walk'n'talk and no wobble/play. In the right light you can still make out the blade etch and its scary sharp and still has full blades. Challenge definitely was a top tier knife in their hayday imho:cool::thumbsup:
A fine machine, with Uber-patina, David!! Nice:thumbsup:

A fine machine, with Uber-patina, David!! Nice:thumbsup:
Thanks! One thing about its condition is I'm not afraid to drop it in my pocket from time to time. I don't use it hard by any means as I have other knives for serious work, but its a nice conversation piece. It still gets some moderate use every now and then,definitely fun to use a knife thats at least a century old imho ;):thumbsup:

QRJcHCp.jpg

Really nice Challenge David and I agree, Challenge made very high quality knives.:thumbsup:

Added to my jumbo jack collection this week with this 4 1/4" Southington, considering its age very nice condition although it has been cleaned, full blades and as with most jumbo's you don't want to get your finger in the way closing. Southington seems to be a very hard maker to find surviving knives in any condition.

IMG_2960.jpeg IMG_2958.jpeg IMG_2964.jpeg

As always John, impressive my friend, you have a knack;););):):thumbsup:

Augie whats your secret to getting your knives to look so good? They all have a similar look to them, I would know your knives out of a lineup.

Paul, North Shore, thanks guys:thumbsup::thumbsup:

North Shore, the knives themselves are pretty much as found, I do not believe in aggressive cleaning. I will wipe down with Balilstol and a microfiber rag, if real dirty will use soft toothbrush and mineral oil. If the blades have a coating of crud and light corrosion I may clean with 1500 to 2500 metal polishing paper to remove the crud, seems to leave the patina. I rarely use Flitz or Semicrome, I think shiny looks out of place on a hundred year old knife.
As far as photographing them, pretty much early morning or late afternoon outside, I use a Canon T3 and take multiple shots on auto and macro and select the best. I crop them with Apple Photos and usually adjust exposure, I find most pictures are overexposed.
I experiment with lighting and this morning took the pictures of the Southington in more sunlight than I usually do, got an interesting shadow effect off the swedge on the main blade.
Hope this answers your question.

Added to my jumbo jack collection this week with this 4 1/4" Southington, considering its age very nice condition although it has been cleaned, full blades and as with most jumbo's you don't want to get your finger in the way closing. Southington seems to be a very hard maker to find surviving knives in any condition.

View attachment 1492692 View attachment 1492694 View attachment 1492695
Macho, Macho Man!!:thumbsup::D
Beautiful, too!!:cool:
The other end of the pocket knife spectrum, a Southington Barlow!!
Gifted by (you might tell by the picture style!!??)!SouthingtonBarlow 1.jpg
Anyone??:rolleyes:

"QUOTE= r8shell, post: ]Here's an odd, old knife:
"Marx & Co. Maniago"
4 3/4" long, and unfortunately it's seen the grinder a time or two.
I couldn't find much, except that there was a German businessman named Albert Marx, who was an owner of a cutlery co-operative in Maniago, Italy from 1907 to 1914. Coricama (Coltellerie Riunite di Caslino e diManiago)

TaxApqN.jpg

hmmurSm.jpg

dvCxDHh.jpg

Rej5q9p.jpg
QUOTE"

Thanks for showing us that beautiful old knife, Rachel!!:thumbsup::cool:
I love older, Italian cutlery - kinda justifies my heritage!!
:rolleyes:

QRJcHCp.jpg

Any brief history of Challenge or where they were located? Nice knife so it peaked my curiosity. Thanks for the great pic.

Mail call from yesterday.

Small NYK Co Congress 2.75" with an early marking on all blades.
oSHXP5J.jpg

V5CdIih.jpg

Here's a shot for scale, you don't realize how tiny it is until you see it beside a 3.5" knife.
3MwaXPM.jpg

NYK Co De Luxe 3.25" Very thin knife, jewelry quality.
gn7HSUM.jpg
8ViiQDg.jpg

pl01o1a.jpg

NYK Co Hammer brand. 3.5" suffered a light cleaning, the edges appear unsharpened. Steel liners.
A7OEUuN.jpg

b8GqJsk.jpg

OVB lobster.
QsJmD4w.jpg
H4X2MOL.jpg

NYK Co Hammer brand. 3.5" with a lock back electrician blade.
IvyLqCU.jpg

IXNzSyn.jpg

Back