"Old Knives"

Duncan - Quite a few beauties there!

S-K - I always like to see this one. Do you have an approximate manufacture date? What is the closed length?

Hi, Thanks for your comments. The closed length is just shy of 4 inches. I have no definitive evidence, but I always thought it was made 1900 to 1920s.

Beautiful rope knives guys, those Miller Bros rope knives are high on my want list but so far have eluded me.

Picked up a Southington Barlow this week, seems to be a boys Barlow, only 2 7/8". Knife is in unused condition, seller claimed was found in the back of an antique dresser from New England.
Construction matches every Southington I have seen but have never seen one in this size, all steel construction, ebony wood with the wood proud of the bolsters and tapered on the edges.
Posted pics showing it next to a standard sized barlow and a TC boys Barlow.

IMG_7453.jpg IMG_7459.jpg IMG_7454.jpg IMG_7455.jpg IMG_7452.jpg IMG_7450.jpg

Beautiful rope knives guys, those Miller Bros rope knives are high on my want list but so far have eluded me.

Picked up a Southington Barlow this week, seems to be a boys Barlow, only 2 7/8". Knife is in unused condition, seller claimed was found in the back of an antique dresser from New England.
Construction matches every Southington I have seen but have never seen one in this size, all steel construction, ebony wood with the wood proud of the bolsters and tapered on the edges.

View attachment 775563 View attachment 775564 View attachment 775565 View attachment 775566 View attachment 775567 View attachment 775568
Great old knife and a mighty fine story.
- Stuart

View attachment 775563 View attachment 775564 View attachment 775565 View attachment 775566 View attachment 775567 View attachment 775568

Whoah.

Thank you for the kind comment Lambertiana :) :thumbsup:

Stuart- Dave - who could not agree just how awesome those Miller Bros. are! In fact pretty much any Knife from this firm is usually a pretty darned nice one!

Augie- Oh mate - like the guys have said - not too sure how you do it my friend.
What a neat addition to your vast Barlow Collection- finding a Southington in the larger and smaller size is something really neat.

Here is a Norvell Shapleigh DE Jack I just recently acquired. This jack is marked only on the master spear blade tang Norvell Shapleigh DE--no tang mark on the secondary pen tang. According to Goins page no. 250 the blades were all marked until the mid 1940s after which only the master blade was marked. This folder seems older than mid 1940s or later. I have some other Shapleigh DE folders (Jacks and Congresses) with all blades tang marked (same exact tang stamp) and several look very similar to this one. Although it has been lightly buffed and polished (not by me) it has what I would consider older pick bone handles and hand hammered pins. Am I missing something or is this indeed a mid 1940s or after produced folder? Thanks for your input and help!IMG_1530.jpg IMG_1529.jpg IMG_1532.jpg

Beautiful D-E, Lloyd!!
There are always exceptions to the rules, I'd say. That looks like a pre-war knife to me!

Gorgeous Jack!
Here is a Norvell Shapleigh DE Jack I just recently acquired. This jack is marked only on the master spear blade tang Norvell Shapleigh DE--no tang mark on the secondary pen tang. According to Goins page no. 250 the blades were all marked until the mid 1940s after which only the master blade was marked. This folder seems older than mid 1940s or later. I have some other Shapleigh DE folders (Jacks and Congresses) with all blades tang marked (same exact tang stamp) and several look very similar to this one. Although it has been lightly buffed and polished (not by me) it has what I would consider older pick bone handles and hand hammered pins. Am I missing something or is this indeed a mid 1940s or after produced folder? Thanks for your input and help!View attachment 776023 View attachment 776022 View attachment 776021

Thanks for everyones comments on the Southington. Charlie, I thought you would like that one:D

Lloyd,really nice Norvell Shapleigh, if I remember right having the Norvell dates it from 1901 to the 1920 time frame, after that they went back to just Shapleigh.

Here are three Jacks - not a bad hand in some types of Poker!!:D
The cards are from a reproduction of an 18th century deck. I purchased it when visiting Fort Louisburg, on Cape Breton in Nova Scotia.
Two of the Jacks are of course, Knives - nice examples that I traded for last Saturday. I felt like the evil Sorcerer in Aladdin!
"New Knives for Old! New Knives for Old!!"
:D:D
An arched-stamp Utica, and a Fulton. I was especially drawn to them because they both have great snap; the Fulton a 7 or so, the Utica a solid 8 1/2!! Neither shows much wear at all.
I ask ya, is there anything better than a good old Jack knife???:)

Aladdin 1.jpg Aladdin 2.jpg Aladdin 3.jpg Aladdin 4.jpg Aladdin 5.jpg Aladdin 6.jpg

It doesn't scan well, but the etch on the Fulton says, "The 25 Cent Wonder"!!

Sounds like a good trade to me Charlie! :thumbsup:
Love the bone and shield on the Utica!! :cool:
But :cool:the "25 Cent Wonder" is WAY :cool::cool::cool::D

Dave

Thanks Dave!
There were Fultons made in Sheffield, Germany and the USA. This one might be German, given the steel pivot pin. Anyway, it's a good'un, IMO!

Thanks Charlie, Rob, Paul and Augie for your nice comments on my DE Jack and for your insights--much appreciated!!

Charlie those are some handsome Jacks:thumbsup::thumbsup: "I ask ya, is there anything better than a good old Jack knife???:)" Not much Charlie Not much:D That is my knife trading mantra also "NewKnives for Old! New Knives for Old" except I am running out of New Knives:eek:

Last edited:
Sweet deal done Charlie:thumbsup:

Nothing to rare here (except it's condition) a VOOS jack. Beautiful bone thats free of defects, like new blades that sit SOLID. I have three now this being the nicest.

These had excellent fit and finish and are a terrific knife, at least the three I own do.

m6jR1v.jpg

4Tblsb.jpg

da5q2H.jpg

efM3uj.jpg

ZBqDTW.jpg

I believe they were owned by Bertram Hen and Rooster, many similar or identical models but with VOOS tang stamp?

Back