"Old Knives"

I don't often get a knife old enough to post in this thread. However, I just got this Fairmount Cut Co, supposedly from the 30's. I believe it was made by Camillus. I liked the handle covers and of course I love serpentine Jacks. Pretty happy with this one, it's in excellent shape and well-built.

I like those covers, can you tell what they’re made of?

I don't often get a knife old enough to post in this thread. However, I just got this Fairmount Cut Co, supposedly from the 30's. I believe it was made by Camillus. I liked the handle covers and of course I love serpentine Jacks. Pretty happy with this one, it's in excellent shape and well-built.

I like that "bit of fancy" on the middle spacer. :thumbsup:

I like those covers, can you tell what they’re made of?
That's what sold me on the knife. It looks like camo/marble.
I have no idea what it's made of, some type of composite, perhaps celluloid but it doesn't look like your typical celluloid.

I like that "bit of fancy" on the middle spacer. :thumbsup:
Ya, isn't that a neat feature.
I can tell you that it's really well put together and the blades are tight and 'snappy'. :cool::thumbsup:

tongueriver, great old pre-war Boker lockback hunter model. That one got my attention. :)
The Chunk91, a couple of nice stockman models.
paulhilborn, neat grinder, I could see many uses for that.
JohnDF, wonderful stockman with an unusual stamp, and I agree with Camillus made.

Here is a lovely old pre-war German made Ed Wusthof 4-blade folder. Wusthof made high quality pocket knives, but they are not commonly found in the U. S.
This old fellow has a nice flowing shape with ebony handles and fancy nickel silver pinched bolsters.

View attachment 1283886

JohnDF, wonderful stockman with an unusual stamp, and I agree with Camillus made.
Thank you, :)

bf-german-wusthof-4-blade-jpg.1283886
That is a really interesting knife, kinda like half trapper and half congress. :cool::thumbsup:

I agree with you John matey- Good looking Knife Herder Sir- The Ed Wusthof Stag Whittler I have look so so identical to a Henckels its not funny, very very slight differences slight enough to make one wonder mmmmmm? Contract by Henckels?

tongueriver, great old pre-war Boker lockback hunter model. That one got my attention. :)

Here is a lovely old pre-war German made Ed Wusthof 4-blade folder. Wusthof made high quality pocket knives, but they are not commonly found in the U. S.
This old fellow has a nice flowing shape with ebony handles and fancy nickel silver pinched bolsters.

View attachment 1283886

Thank you, :)

That is a really interesting knife, kinda like half trapper and half congress. :cool::thumbsup:

Cool old knife, makes me think a trapper whittler with an extra blade. Guess right when we think we got this whole "pattern" thing figured someone goes and throws something like this in the mix lol :confused:
:D:thumbsup:

View attachment 1283886

Got this Challenge in earlier this week, it's well made, the blades don't rub each other or the liners. Nice crisp snap on all blades and no play.
wS1Djez.jpg
uaA23JQ.jpg
6Yag3LI.jpg
5CXFYuR.jpg

herder, Rob, thanks for posting two unique and wonderful knives:cool:

These little "rough black" knives were gifts from a friend nearby!:cool:
Orange Cut. Co. was apparently formed by ex-Walden employees in 1923!!
Apparently, Walden moved to New Haven and merged with Winchester in that year!!:eek: These are in unused condition - cute little buggers!!:D
Rough black pens 1.jpg Rough black pens 2.jpg Rough black pens 3.jpg
(The ring is Navajo silver, set with chunks of Mediterranean Coral!
Hallmark is a simple" J", which I cannot find in my books!)

herder, that Wusthof is a spectacular knife, love the pinched and ringed bolsters!:thumbsup:
Great of Challenge congress, Rob!:thumbsup:
Lovely pair of Walden made knives, Charlie!:thumbsup: Here is news item from page 1 of the Walden Citizen Herald, published on May 9, 1929, announcing the start up of the Orange Cutlery Co., about 6 years later than is commonly believed by most collectors. I also have an article, from the Walden Citizen Herald in May 1930, stating that business was picking up for the Orange Cutlery Co. I could not find any info as to when the company closed, but most believe it was only around for a year, or two at the most.

Page 1 of Citizen Herald,published in Walden, New York on Thursday, May 9th, 1929.jpg

I also believe that the Walden Knife Co. plant was not shut down and moved to New Haven immediately following the Simmons/Winchester merger, again contrary to what is commonly believed among knife collectors. There is a lot of historical evidence that the Walden plant did not close until April of 1927, and continued to manufacture Keen Kutters right up until then. I have been meaning to post that evidence in the Keen Kutter and Walden (I think there is a thread on Walden?) threads for some time now.

Thanks for the updated information, Dan!!:thumbsup: It feels good to see history corrected, and the truth (hopefully) be revealed!!:eek::cool:

Last edited:
Back