Our "Front Porch" ....

I agree no respect... But they think they at privelaged and deserve it without none given... Entitlement... Oh well... Let them keep slurping their mountain dews and chomping on their cheesy poofs. And we'll take care of the real stuff!

Thanks for the retrospect Rubi :thumbup:

Well said Rubi, I couldn't agree more. It's frustrating to say the lest.
Also, what ever happened to please and thank you??

Crazy. Drives me nuts. I say "Thank you" and almost without fail (if the person is young) I get back, "No problem"
My kids let that slip once or twice (once) I said "Thank You" and I hear "no problem" :eek:

Really!!! are you sure? It really wasn't a problem Oh Good! I'm happy about that.
Didn't take long for that bad habit to not be a habit anymore. No wonder I hear how polite, respectful articulate and well-mannered my kids are.
When I am complimented for that I usually say Thank you but add, Really no thanks are needed. They are simply doing what they should be doing but, Thank you.

How refreshing to know that there are folks who still practice the art of manners, integrity, and take responsibility for their actions, and pass it on to their children!

Rubi, you got me interested in this and it got me searching the interwebs. I was thinking to myself about the differences between You're Welcome and no problem and found some interesting things online regarding opinions on these phrases. The first is interesting.

The following is not a view expressed by the poster but merely shared for discussion sake;

The phrase "no problem" is a short version of "It was no problem," implying that it didn't cause the person any trouble or hardship to do the thing for which they are being thanked.
It could be construed as an act of humility or deference, because they are suggesting that the action they performed, and any inconvenience it may have caused them, are unimportant relative to the positive impact to the thanking party.
Fully unpacked, it goes like this:
"It was no problem for me to hold the door for you, because your ease of access is more important than me getting to my car faster."
Compare this with "You're welcome", which could be construed as an acknowledgement by the thanked party that they did do something worth thanking.
In an extreme case, this could be construed as more selfish or even arrogant, because the thanked party is allowing attention to be on them, instead of the other party.
"You're welcome to this open door, which I am holding open."
Obviously both connotations are usually very minor and mostly ignored; most of the time, people choose 'you're welcome' or 'no problem' because "It's just what you say when someone thanks you." I doubt many people actually think it's arrogant to say "you're welcome" unless it's said with a rude tone of voice. However, these implications may explain why 'no problem' has become more common, and could even be seen as a more polite reply.

Even references to other languages. In Spanish it is common for Gracias to be answered with De Nada "it's nothing".

Now back to the posters opinions;

Manners and respect were traits drilled into me by my parents and grandparents. First and foremost treat others as you wish to be treated. I think "You're Welcome" is very appropriate and is probably the better bet but I have used no problem with friends. Kids to adults should always be "you're welcome" in my book though.

Rubi, you got me interested in this and it got me searching the interwebs. I was thinking to myself about the differences between You're Welcome and no problem and found some interesting things online regarding opinions on these phrases. The first is interesting.

The following is not a view expressed by the poster but merely shared for discussion sake;

The phrase "no problem" is a short version of "It was no problem," implying that it didn't cause the person any trouble or hardship to do the thing for which they are being thanked.
It could be construed as an act of humility or deference, because they are suggesting that the action they performed, and any inconvenience it may have caused them, are unimportant relative to the positive impact to the thanking party.
Fully unpacked, it goes like this:
"It was no problem for me to hold the door for you, because your ease of access is more important than me getting to my car faster."
Compare this with "You're welcome", which could be construed as an acknowledgement by the thanked party that they did do something worth thanking.
In an extreme case, this could be construed as more selfish or even arrogant, because the thanked party is allowing attention to be on them, instead of the other party.
"You're welcome to this open door, which I am holding open."
Obviously both connotations are usually very minor and mostly ignored; most of the time, people choose 'you're welcome' or 'no problem' because "It's just what you say when someone thanks you." I doubt many people actually think it's arrogant to say "you're welcome" unless it's said with a rude tone of voice. However, these implications may explain why 'no problem' has become more common, and could even be seen as a more polite reply.

Even references to other languages. In Spanish it is common for Gracias to be answered with De Nada "it's nothing".

Now back to the posters opinions;

Manners and respect were traits drilled into me by my parents and grandparents. First and foremost treat others as you wish to be treated. I think "You're Welcome" is very appropriate and is probably the better bet but I have used no problem with friends. Kids to adults should always be "you're welcome" in my book though.

Good points!
There is a fast food chain that trains its employees to respond to "thank you" with "my pleasure", which is quite refreshing to hear.

I generally agree with Rubi's rant but I don't take issue with "No problem" as a response for the reasons noted above. I know I say it when thanked at times and my response is intended as "it was no problem, glad to do it".

I also have a strange habit of when "thanked" responding with "thanks" rather than "welcome".

While I don't care for "no problem" from the nieces, at least it's better than "uh huh".

I am actively working on removing both from their lexicon..

… "like" (ad naseum) is also high on the list..

"No problem" is definitely much better than "Ok".

I am a huge proponent of respect & the use of proper language. My sons just turned 6 and they here it from me with a gentle reminder, if they slip.

I truly believe if "you" help someone or "they" help you - pleasantries should be exchanged and acknowledged. I thought I was helping someone out recently with some info & pictures and not a single "thank you". All it did was show me who NOT to help in the future....

I find it very interesting that many of the "active" members of this forum think so much alike on things that are not knife related at all. Speaking in overarching generalities, we all somewhat agree on what it means to be a productive member of society and we each, in our own way, try to instill those values in those around us and under our watch.

I generally agree with Rubi's rant but I don't take issue with "No problem" as a response for the reasons noted above. I know I say it when thanked at times and my response is intended as "it was no problem, glad to do it".

I also have a strange habit of when "thanked" responding with "thanks" rather than "welcome".

That's like after a gate attendant at the airport tells you; "Have a nice flight" and you respond "thanks, you too".

Or a waiter at a resaurant says; "enjoy your meal" and you respond "thanks, you too".

Palm to face. We've all done it.

Yes, ALL goes to the Art of communication. Possibly because I grew up with a Dad that was a radio talk show host or just the era in general...
I have always been a student of all forms of communication (verbal, non-verbal, written etc.) I now watch a show called "Lie to Me" which I find interesting because I have always done some of the things the characters in the show do, paying attention to tone and facial expressions as well as physical signs while communicating. Have always paid attention to the subtleties of active listening as well.
The exchange between humans in ALL forms of communication, if allowed to slip, will continue to slip until the traditions are no longer recognizeable as versions of the originals.
Seems insignificant when viewed as the individual cuts but when seen as a thousand cuts.....
Look at what we do here, our communication is one of the things that joins us and we all value how we do it more than we may think.
As always, I genuinely appreciate those of you who make up this group.

That's like after a gate attendant at the airport tells you; "Have a nice flight" and you respond "thanks, you too".

Or a waiter at a resaurant says; "enjoy your meal" and you respond "thanks, you too".

LOL. I have a better one: this past Father's Day a woman wished me happy Father's Day, and I responded "thanks, you too". DOH

Actually, my responding with "thanks" is more because I am thanking them for thanking me (as opposed to what you are alluding to).

Actually, my responding with "thanks" is more because I am thanking them for thanking me (as opposed to what you are alluding to).

Let's just hope you don't run into another individual with the same habit. That could be a long standoff.

TO BE FILED UNDER......WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU DO NOW.....????

So.....my daughter and I went to Canada's Wonderland (Canada's biggest amusement park) today and she played a game (ring toss) and won a prize......all by herself.......

What am I supposed to do now?

Back