PIF-ERS just talking shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad a few douchebags, you know who you're, had to ruin the fun of this thread for many people. Hope you'll have fun getting scammed by the people with devious, and selfish intentions, who don’t know the true meaning of paying it forward. They drove out people who really understand paying it forward and who were here to give to those who couldn’t otherwise get.

Really?:rolleyes: Couldn't just drop it and move on like the rest of us, had to get a final dig in? If anyone is souring the thread now, it's you...

What does this mean? I am still trying to figure this thread out. I know 2 things, I dont want to hurt anyones feelings, and I dont want my feelings hurt.
A question... If you offer something up do you have to have a value in your mind? A second question... If someone wants what you offered up do they check with you to make sure their item is an appropriate replacement for your offering?
I guess just one more question... What if the item offered as a replacement is not appropriate because of trade value or the item being very esoteric and limited in general interest?
Maybe someone who gets it could call me, this appeals to me theoretically but I have have seen a couple guys I like and respect get upset and leave.
Help figure this out, are people being selfish on here? If so, how?
I can see offering a delica then grabbing a michael zieba being clear cut but what happens that isnt copacetic and why?

Russ

Without getting into all the drama that some have stirred up in the PIF thread.....

Generally speaking, if you post something up as a PIF, it would be good to have a general value in mind, but it's not required. Essentially, if you post something that you feel is worth ~$50, you should expect the person who claims it to post something up of roughly equal value. Theoretically, this insure that someone isn't claiming a CRK, then posting a Leek in return. Think of it like a fair trade value. The exact value doesn't have to be spot on, but should be comparable +/- a few dollars.

Common practice has become to contact the person offering the PIF via PM, email, etc, to ask if your return offering is of an acceptable value. While this isn't mandatory, it's become a common curtesy in the thread to help insure people are posting similar value items. If you see something you like, put a claim on it (kind of puts it on hold) and send the poster a message - "hey Bob, is my xxxxx an acceptable offer?"

It doesn't really matter what you offer up, as long as it has some general interest, it doesn't have to be a knife. Things like watches, sunglasses, tools, outdoor equipment, etc, have all been popular. Just remember, no one wants your collection of used Bud Light bottles or commemorate Sears catalogs. Just use a bit of common sense.

No return PIF items are just that - free to claim without posting something in return. These are being offered up at the generosity of the person posting them, for anyone to claim. Just read the original posting to insure there are no stipulations on the item, like that it goes to a scout, or child, etc. If a stipulation exists, please be respectful of it.

That's the basics. It's really not that complicated. There have been a lot of interesting items posted and claimed, and have allowed some of us to try things we wouldn't have normally, as well as pass on stuff we're not using to other BF members.

@mycough to add to the above, the "karma" thing was a side concept where someone could offer something up front and claim something later. It worked fine when only a few of us did it but as the PIF thread grew, so did the headaches associated with the karma concept. It's hard to track. The whole thread is based on the honor system anyways and the person holding the item ALWAYS has the final decision on what is or is not an acceptable offering for the item they have. Some are more stringent on the value thing, some are less so. The karma thing has been the biggest reason for recent PO'ed people.

There has been some discontent with some individuals claiming a bunch of stuff quickly, along with a lot of side chatting making the PIF thread hard to follow. This thread was made to try and reduce some of the noise of the side conversation making it hard to know what's going on with the PIF's.

As expected, that was all temporary and largely "growing pains" as there was a ton of action that happened in a short time and left a few of our heads reeling. The current pace is more typical, a handful of posts a day vs a handful of pages a day.

Other than that, J jaseman did a good job tidying stuff up and there is also a link in the list that @JupiterPaladin manages that has the general guidelines. If you have any other questions, pretty much any of us that have followed the thread for a while are more than happy to help explain things. Just leave a message on our profile on how we can contact you (I don't think you have PM's yet as that's for paying members only).

As far as getting started, find something you like, find something you have of similar value, and contact the person with the item you're interested in. I'm going to start discouraging the idea of putting something into PIF 1st only because it complicates things as it's backwards from how the PIF was intended to run and the "karma" incident allowed us a learning opportunity of the downsides of such an approach.

And I apologize for the wordy response, I'm not known to create short posts. You should see my emails...

Not gonna lie I had to youtube that one! hah hah. Morning shot of a PIF. The Cu Natrix lives up to its reputation. Has probably one of the stickiest/stiffest detents of any knife that I've ever had. I'm guessing its the design and it won't break in. That said it's a great EDC if you don't need to depend on it to deploy everytime in an instant. Designs like these always feel like a small Sebby substitute for me. When I was carrying those guys, I was working in big corp. offices so I never actually got a chance to EDC them in NYC. But I might revisit that now that I work in a tiny 30 person company. I normally dislike metal scales but this one has an awesome 3 finger grip to it. Ergos are top notch. Do they make a mini Natrix this size in G10 too?

vcGxHXQ.jpg
Short answer is no they dont. The g-10 natrix is bigger and then there is one that's bigger then that the XL natrix I believe it is. Can't remember for sure. But the copper natrix is the smallest one. Also the only one in D2. The rest are in lesser steels.

Just to clarify, and out of curiosity... IIRC the PIF thread started by BellaBlades BellaBlades originally worked in a manner such that a person would post something up, someone else would grab it and then find something to post up of their own. I'm not sure when it changed to the new method of clarifying your own PIF with the owner of the one you want... somewhere in the 400 odd pages lol. When I posted my two up a couple of weeks ago I was under the assumption that it was still operating in the old manner from when originally started, fwiw I apologize for not reading the new rules first :)

@mycough so let's just do a one and done on what happened in terms of this situation and maybe chaulk it up to a learning experience.

By and large the PIF in this last iteration and I've taken part in all of the past iterations has literally been the most successful PIF thread in the 6 years that I've been on bladeforums.

The most positive approach to PIF is
1. Take a penny, put in a penny
2. Help out the bladeforum community — period. And this means that some people contribute to the overall knowledge base or bf, some people always help out others and keep fun threads going by being fun.
3. They want to so something nice for the bladeforum community for _____ fill in the blank reasons.

There was some friction with WValtakis WValtakis and @strongbear0 who to my knowledge and experience from how they have behaved on this thread have been stand-up bladeforum members. The problem came up with the interpretation of PIF of a used Gen 4 Hinderer. On the one hand it's a Hinderer. Outside of a few guys like @woodysone, bikerector bikerector , @strongbear0 and a couple of other guys I'm forgetting, please forgive me.... this thread has not seen the knife values get kicked up to the degree as the overall contributions of the aforementioned people.

What ending up happening was Strongbead and WValtakis just had a disagreement in terms of claiming that Hinderer. So without fueling the fire and I wish Strongbear and WValtakis could bury the hatchet. I believe Strongbear felt slighted despite the fact that this brother probbie PIF'd almost $1,000 worth of cutting tools. I mean look at the Benchmade Glory he gave away, that was a $300 blade new, not even mention that it's collectible and equal to the value of the Hinderer as a stand alone.

On WValtakis's perspective irrespective of the amount of knives that Strongbear had sent off to folks on this thread he wanted that particular PIF'd to be a 1 to 1 in order to kick start the higher end PIF's in this thread. So I understand the spirit of the thread. I actually believe without question that Strongbear without anyone urging him to, would have put up something sick immediately after claiming the Hinderer.

The end result is neither here nor there but that's how we got to where we are now. People can take sides of course and you can't stop two bulls in their prime from going at it. It goes against the bro code, let's just be direct about that.

But at the end of the day both of these guys had their hearts in the right place and sometimes stuff like what transpired happens. I know that they were both trying to prevent some of the situations that organically happens on a pif thread. And I'm not pointing any transactions out but sometimes a person has collected a really cool knife and then offered up a stick of bubblegum, some bellybutton lint and a clamshell Kershaw knife from Walmart.

Let's just be honest when that happens you just go "ughhhh" and that totally deflates the fun from this thread as well. It's not to judge that person that did that, for me if I did that, and maybe I have I don't know. I knew to put up a replacement item for whatever wasn't claimed. But then again, other people might not be as invested in this thread than you or me.

That's the way I see it at least. By and large the drama derived from totally solid intentions.

Just to clarify, and out of curiosity... IIRC the PIF thread started by BellaBlades BellaBlades originally worked in a manner such that a person would post something up, someone else would grab it and then find something to post up of their own. I'm not sure when it changed to the new method of clarifying your own PIF with the owner of the one you want... somewhere in the 400 odd pages lol. When I posted my two up a couple of weeks ago I was under the assumption that it was still operating in the old manner from when originally started, fwiw I apologize for not reading the new rules first :)

I remember it starting that way as well.

Posting your PIF first insured, at the time, that there was actually stuff on the list to claim. At this point in time, the list is fairly large, so I'm not sure it matters as much which order you post or claim.

Somewhere along the lines it just kinda became the norm to verify with the original poster, as, at least for myself, I don't always know the value of a PIF, and want to make sure my offering isn't drastically below what I'm claiming.

I'm not sure there really are any hard and fast rules at this point. I know that the majority of us who frequent the thread are pretty nonchalant about how it operates, as long as it stays fun, friendly, and fair.

I look at the whole thread the kinda the same as the 'take-a-penny, leave-a-penny' tray at the gas station. As long as we're all putting back into the tray on occasion, we all benefit from it.

My initial intention with the thread was quite pure and simple.

And it was rather successful for quite some time but recently it has turned into whatever the group wanted it to become. Which had also been great .

This was actually a social experiment.

;)

I've seen a lot of positive things come out of this thread and those who have kept it going and kept it organized You Know Who You Are.

If the time has come that it should be closed lmk.

A poll is up

Last edited:
BellaBlades BellaBlades there's a dozen examples of just how well the thread is working. By and large it's great. People get to try out knives around the same value that they're not using and often times discover something cool or new that they would never edc.

The hiccups are again putting back belly button lint into the PIF for a cool item, not replacing unclaimed/unwanted items, thinking of this thread as a trading post and as an open market to trade knives (it's not), hoarding, not bringing positives vibes and comraderie to the thread.

But the thread is organic and as a social experiment it's what people direct the thread into organically is what counts. It's like life...

We all are capable of good and evil. And each day, we wake up to make that decision, do we want to walk in the light or do we want to be in darkness. There's always that choice for each of us to make. As a human social experiment you see a lot of folks walking in the light and that's a good thing.

And it was rather successful for quite some time but recently it has turned into whatever the group wanted it to become.

;)

I've seen a lot of positive things come out of this thread and those who have kept it going and kept it organized You Know Who You Are.

If the time has come that it should be closed lmk. Someone else could always start a new one with the same tension as the original down the line.

NOOOOOOOO, please don't close it!!!!!! What would I look at while procrastinating at work?:)

BellaBlades BellaBlades there's a dozen examples of just how well the thread is working. By and large it's great. People get to try out knives around the same value that they're not using and often times discover something cool or new that they would never edc.

The hiccups are again putting back belly button lint into the PIF for a cool item, not replacing unclaimed/unwanted items, thinking of this thread as a trading post and as an open market to trade knives (it's not), hoarding, not bringing positives vibes and comraderie to the thread.

But the thread is organic and as a social experiment it's what people direct the thread into organically is what counts. It's like life...

We all are capable of good and evil. And each day, we wake up to make that decision, do we want to walk in the light or do we want to be in darkness. There's always that choice for each of us to make. As a human social experiment you see a lot of folks walking in the light and that's a good thing.

I totally agree with you. I added a pole to the original thread just to see what others think.

And it was rather successful for quite some time but recently it has turned into whatever the group wanted it to become.

;)

If the time has come that it should be closed lmk. Someone else could always start a new one with the same tension as the original down the line.

I have met quite a few people here that I hope I can call friends. And I hope to continue having future experiences with. I only wanted to enjoy everyone and have a great time doing it. This thread gave me many weeks of both. I hope it stays around. BellaBlades BellaBlades if you do shut it down I will close this one off as well. No need having a side chat for a thread that doesn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back