PIF-ERS just talking shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
cchu518 cchu518 - :thumbsup: Ya dun good brother :thumbsup: "By and large the drama derived from totally solid intentions." Exactly!

My sense is that EVERYONE posting on PIF, for the longest time, are all good spirited, generous as they can be, and well intentioned. Growing pains, social dynamics and the momentum of the thread just caused a little rumble. Please bury the hatchet gents and lets move on.

NO to starting a new PIF. We can continue blaming it ALL on BellaBlades BellaBlades :D

Ray

So I will say that with the poll up on the thread I think there has still been far more positive than any negative with the thread and even the negative that we have had I feel has mostly been minimal and fairly well controlled. I don't think it is yet time for an end to the thread as we have plenty of interest and good will still going and we are in my opinion in a recovery swing from some of the more recent drama.

cchu518 cchu518 - :thumbsup: Ya dun good brother :thumbsup: "By and large the drama derived from totally solid intentions." Exactly!

My sense is that EVERYONE posting on PIF, for the longest time, are all good spirited, generous as they can be, and well intentioned. Growing pains, social dynamics and the momentum of the thread just caused a little rumble. Please bury the hatchet gents and lets move on.

NO to starting a new PIF. We can continue blaming it ALL on BellaBlades BellaBlades :D

Ray

I've made a few friends through this thing myself and bring on the blame ;)

@mycough so let's just do a one and done on what happened in terms of this situation and maybe chaulk it up to a learning experience.

By and large the PIF in this last iteration and I've taken part in all of the past iterations has literally been the most successful PIF thread in the 6 years that I've been on bladeforums.

The most positive approach to PIF is
1. Take a penny, put in a penny
2. Help out the bladeforum community — period. And this means that some people contribute to the overall knowledge base or bf, some people always help out others and keep fun threads going by being fun.
3. They want to so something nice for the bladeforum community for _____ fill in the blank reasons.

There was some friction with @WValtakis and @strongbear0 who to my knowledge and experience from how they have behaved on this thread have been stand-up bladeforum members. The problem came up with the interpretation of PIF of a used Gen 4 Hinderer. On the one hand it's a Hinderer. Outside of a few guys like woodysone woodysone , bikerector bikerector , @strongbear0 and a couple of other guys I'm forgetting, please forgive me.... this thread has not seen the knife values get kicked up to the degree as the overall contributions of the aforementioned people.

What ending up happening was Strongbead and WValtakis just had a disagreement in terms of claiming that Hinderer. So without fueling the fire and I wish Strongbear and WValtakis could bury the hatchet. I believe Strongbear felt slighted despite the fact that this brother probbie PIF'd almost $1,000 worth of cutting tools. I mean look at the Benchmade Glory he gave away, that was a $300 blade new, not even mention that it's collectible and equal to the value of the Hinderer as a stand alone.

On WValtakis's perspective irrespective of the amount of knives that Strongbear had sent off to folks on this thread he wanted that particular PIF'd to be a 1 to 1 in order to kick start the higher end PIF's in this thread. So I understand the spirit of the thread. I actually believe without question that Strongbear without anyone urging him to, would have put up something sick immediately after claiming the Hinderer.

The end result is neither here nor there but that's how we got to where we are now. People can take sides of course and you can't stop two bulls in their prime from going at it. It goes against the bro code, let's just be direct about that.

But at the end of the day both of these guys had their hearts in the right place and sometimes stuff like what transpired happens. I know that they were both trying to prevent some of the situations that organically happens on a pif thread. And I'm not pointing any transactions out but sometimes a person has collected a really cool knife and then offered up a stick of bubblegum, some bellybutton lint and a clamshell Kershaw knife from Walmart.

Let's just be honest when that happens you just go "ughhhh" and that totally deflates the fun from this thread as well. It's not to judge that person that did that, for me if I did that, and maybe I have I don't know. I knew to put up a replacement item for whatever wasn't claimed. But then again, other people might not be as invested in this thread than you or me.

That's the way I see it at least. By and large the drama derived from totally solid intentions.

Why is this still a topic of discussion?

Just to clarify, and out of curiosity... IIRC the PIF thread started by BellaBlades BellaBlades originally worked in a manner such that a person would post something up, someone else would grab it and then find something to post up of their own. I'm not sure when it changed to the new method of clarifying your own PIF with the owner of the one you want... somewhere in the 400 odd pages lol. When I posted my two up a couple of weeks ago I was under the assumption that it was still operating in the old manner from when originally started, fwiw I apologize for not reading the new rules first :)

I remember it starting that way as well.

Posting your PIF first insured, at the time, that there was actually stuff on the list to claim. At this point in time, the list is fairly large, so I'm not sure it matters as much which order you post or claim.

Somewhere along the lines it just kinda became the norm to verify with the original poster, as, at least for myself, I don't always know the value of a PIF, and want to make sure my offering isn't drastically below what I'm claiming.

I'm not sure there really are any hard and fast rules at this point. I know that the majority of us who frequent the thread are pretty nonchalant about how it operates, as long as it stays fun, friendly, and fair.

I look at the whole thread the kinda the same as the 'take-a-penny, leave-a-penny' tray at the gas station. As long as we're all putting back into the tray on occasion, we all benefit from it.

The part where approval of a PIF offering was needed started very early on because the initial request was that the knives offered back into the pool were of equal or lesser value. How is that determined? It was decided the person who's item was being claimed determined that. It is that simple.

Take a penny, leave a penny is a similar but different analogy because a penny has the same value as any other penny.

Take a penny, leave a penny is a similar but different analogy because a penny has the same value as any other penny.

Sometimes you take a penny, sometimes you take two. Sometimes you leave three or four. I’ve taken nickels out, and put dimes back in other times.

Where were we again...? :D

I notice all but 2 of the names in the "no" vote are people who either haven't posted much in the PIF thread or I haven't seen them there.

Well, I just changed my vote on keeping the tread open, after a couple of interactions with some long timers in this tread. I just was tried of seeing how good intentions were misconstrued. This was and is a great chance to meet and interact with others and reinforce that this is community rather then a all out for oneself. Thanks Andy, Coleman,Chris, Chip, John and Ray just to name a few great people I have interacted with. Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back