Princess Mononoke: Real Ashitaka's Sword

Boris! I friggin knew it!

Wow, you became a master sword maker guy that fast?

Ah, but can your Mononoke sword cut a Schrade in half?

What an asshat.

Rut roh..the jig is up..

So, are we going to see one of the swords that you've crafted over that past seven years, or not?

2d2aph4.jpg

This is what he was talking about. I should have looked it up first. The old reverse kantana cantata.

It's quite possibly one of the ugliest "swords" ever conceived of.

Definitely either a child or someone with serious mental issues.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

My apologies, ladies and gentlemen. I took time off for dinner and return to find more of the same childish talk from our self-proclaimed swordsmith. While Whine & Cheese might enjoy a taste of this, the uncouth master of the BudK sword has no further place here.

I will leave the thread open for those who would like to advise Wiiliam Stowe where he might stow it.

OP is a moron and a poor broke pled. He should be on his knees earning the money he is begging for.

Respectfully, that sword is quite lame.

With all the fantasy weapons out there at least aim for one that is unique and interesting.

A video example of a dagger that was spawned from fantasy and was forged into reality.
[video=youtube;QSQX0NQJ8Fc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSQX0NQJ8Fc[/video]

Take your idiot advice somewhere else.
The brass alloy has a higher corrosion resistance, and higher resistance to abrasion.
VG-10 is a superior alloy.
Why did you reply to my post?
Check the facts, you fool.

I have checked some facts. Beyond your generally offensive attitude for someone who is coming around here to beg for money, your own grasp of facts is lacking. I have never made a sword or knife in my life, much less the seven years you claim to have been doing so, but even I know the following:

No reputable sword manufacturer, and certainly no custom swordsmith worth any salt, makes functional swords out of stainless steel. While admittedly what you are trying to make looks more like a large Chinese-inspired chopping knife, the blade is still of sufficient length that stainless steel is a poor choice. If you're wanting it just because it would polish nicely, why not just use a cheaper stainless?

VG-10 is a great stainless alloy, even if it has lost some of its luster and been relegated to the has-been pile of stainless cutlery super steels, but that's like using a BMW 6-series in a mud bogging competition. Great car, but... that's not what it's for.

Bronze has good corrosion resistance and is harder than brass, so it be more abrasion resistant. Brass is generally resistant to atmospheric corrosion, but if exposed to salt water or another electrolyte solution, it will dezincify over time, and then all you have is a crumbly bit of copper. All this of course depends on what specific alloy you are using, but you never said.

You can technically make a functional tool out of the materials you list, but it will certainly not be worth the $1,000 you want on your funding page, much less the 'thousands of dollars' you claim it would actually be worth.

WHAT THE ACTUAL F*** GUYS. In the time it took me to type up my response, this thread added seven pages of replies and the OP got banned!?!?

How are we going to know how butthurt he was if he is banned before we all get our knives out?

We were just celebrating the third day of Kwanzaa. :)

Ujima, Swahili for "collective work and responsibility," is the principle celebrated on the third day.

We focus on ways to build and maintain our community together and make our brother's and sister's problems our problems and to solve them together.

We came together as a community to solve the problem, and lo, the problem is gone, and we all feel much more community-tastic.

Merry Kwanzaa everybody! :D

STeven - Ashitaka's sword isn't a reversed katana. He's supposed to be Emishi, though a fictionalized version of them.

I've dug around online, and it's different from the historical Emishi/Ainu swords I've found, though the blade shape and ring pommel seem to be based on ancient swords from the area. There are hunters in the movie with similar sheaths and hilts, though they never draw the blades, which makes me think there may also be influence from the matagi hunters' blades, who seem to be related to the Emishi from what I've read.

Think more chokuto/jokoto and less the newer stuff.

And on behalf of Rustyboy:

So, is that a record for shortest time between first post and getting the ban hammer? Or did Esav's dinner break ruin that? :)

Might be tempting to call up Stowe Technologies and ask to speak to William. Their "Contact Us" page is the very first thing that pops up on a Google search. :D

Might be tempting to call up Stowe Technologies and ask to speak to William. Their "Contact Us" page is the very first thing that pops up on a Google search. :D

[video=youtube;dQHUAJTZqF0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQHUAJTZqF0[/video]

:D

So, is that a record for shortest time between first post and getting the ban hammer? Or did Esav's dinner break ruin that? :)

Still a butt ugly sword, bro!

Guy named Peter Blood posted this on another forum...he collects Ainu blades:

".... from my experience, that category can include a couple of different kinds of swords. 1) Most of the things classed as Ainu cutlery are Japanese 'knives" of various kinds that were imported from Japan and mounted and attractively fitted out for regular use by the Ainu. 2) Then there are "Japanese" blades that were tricked out to be used as essentially ceremonial gifts to local leaders in Hokkaido. These are often clunky, big swords with gross fittings, odd bits of kodogu, and rough - but Japanese - blades. Colonial powers used these sorts of things across the world during the 'Age of Exploration" to mark, reward, and trick out guys who the colonial powers viewed as allies. "Peace Medals","Chiefs' Grade Trade Fusils", are North American examples. There are other examples from Africa, Siberia, and Australia. 3) Finally, there are sword that were clearly mounted by the Ainu AND made on blade that appear not to have been made by Japanese swordsmiths. There were Ainu smiths, but it is also possible that some of these blades originated elsewhere in northeast Asia. They are big hirazukuri shoto, often with - ahhh - crude horimono, and unsigned narrow nakago. A catalog from the Shiogama jinja presents a bunch of these blades - like 20 of them. I am impressed that in that catalog, the bare blades are presented entirely unpolished and l in pretty rough 'as found' condition. In other words, the folks at Shiogama - who should know - seemed NOT to be treating them like Nippon-to
Ainu sword were either working knives, or largely ceremonial objects, given and worn as rank indicators by men who were involved in the middle to late Edo period Japanese management of their northern frontier. At least that the story I think that makes most sense. They are "ethnographic art"."

I'll be calling Stowe Tech manana first, no reason to throw the FBI a bone, when the owner might just have a little "talk" with William....and all can be settled with the adults.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Last edited:
Back