Princess Mononoke: Real Ashitaka's Sword

BOOM ... ... ... * splash *

2ouDWXa.gif

Still a butt ugly sword, bro!

I could see that being a take on it, though to be fair the pic you posted is a cosplay prop of an animated movie sword and looks cheap and cheesy.

But I dig the idea of the short, broad-bladed, ring-pommeled sword with a kiriha zukuri tip on it for unknown reasons. And the plain, square sheath and shoulder sling. Guess it strikes me as a weapon/tool and that appeals to me. More of what some guy out in the bush would carry as opposed to a samurai. Chop some bamboo, make some fuzz sticks, use the tip as a skew chisel. Not sure how the balance would feel in the hand of what I'm envisioning. Some day I'll give it a crack.

I have made clear and to the point arguments. Its very sad that you think I'm the one who is wrong.

No, you most certainly have not.
I just marked an exam where the student got zero marks, because they got everything wrong. They probably though they had made clear points also; sadly for them, they had no knowledge at all.

What are talking about? I'm the only one who stated facts. You and everyone else are just saying your idiot opinions.

All time classic reply, stabman...whoosh right over its head :biggrin:

Last edited:
About calling this Stowe Industries..
I've seen this trick before, probably somebody pissed at Stowe Industries. If it isn't that, he's a rich little asshole whose Mommy and Daddy have bought him everything. Or he's actually the rich little asshole, and is mad at Mommy & Daddy for not buying him another sports car for Christmas after he wrecked the last one, and wants everyone to call harassing his Dad's business.
Isn't that monoke thing some anime stuff? Guy had to be like 15.

I was late to this party but DAMN!!! That was one of the more entertaining threads I've seen in a while. Lil Billy sure flamed out fast! Oh yea, his initials would be BS wouldn't they.

Dug around and found some images I had seen before and forgotten. Some of the warabite-to, or Ainu swords, have a similar blade shape.

And this Chinese ken's tang is a similar construction as the warabite-to's, though the shape is more like what Ashitaka's sword was like.

So, teh Interwebz haven't turned up anything exactly like Ashitaka's sword, but different elements of swords that can combine to something like it.

Isn't that monoke thing some anime stuff? Guy had to be like 15.

Yeah, it's anime, but it's a good movie, and not the obsessive fanboy series kinda stuff, but one that anyone can enjoy. Although, obviously, there's some obsessive fanboys. If Mr. Stowe hadn't been banned, this thread probably would have degenerated (further) into arguing why the only real version is with the Japanese voice actors, and not hacks like Billy Cruddup, Billy Bob Thornton, Minnie Driver, Gillian Anderson, and veteran American voice actors like John DiMaggio and Tara Strong.

"Spirited Away" is another beautiful film by the same director, enjoyable and moving to people who don't give a crap about stuff like "Pokemon" or "The Last Airbender". Think of them like Japanese "Lion King" or "Aladdin", and not obsessive fanboy "anime".

If Mr. Stowe hadn't been banned, this thread probably would have degenerated (further) into arguing why the only real version is with the Japanese voice actors, and not hacks like Billy Cruddup, Billy Bob Thornton, Minnie Driver, Gillian Anderson, and veteran American voice actors like John DiMaggio and Tara Strong.

With much respect, I think you far overestimate the level of discussion Mr. Stowe would have brought to the table. The above would be a marked improvement.

I haven't seen all of his work, but all of the Miyazaki films I've seen have been beautiful and heartfelt, even if the philosophy is a bit different from mine.

Welp, I'm off to bed. This has been entertaining. :)

But I dig the idea of the short, broad-bladed, ring-pommeled sword with a kiriha zukuri tip on it for unknown reasons. And the plain, square sheath and shoulder sling. Guess it strikes me as a weapon/tool and that appeals to me. More of what some guy out in the bush would carry as opposed to a samurai. Chop some bamboo, make some fuzz sticks, use the tip as a skew chisel. Not sure how the balance would feel in the hand of what I'm envisioning. Some day I'll give it a crack.

If you dig a seax, you will dig an Ainu sword.

I hate the way seax's look, but some people dig them.

There is a sword for every hand, or taste for that matter. While I love, study and appreciate Nihonto above all other swords...I also have a Pirate Cutlass from Windlass Steelcrafts, an Artilleria Nacional 1907 Pattern Spanish Cavalry Saber, a Kevin Cashen damascus small sword and am actively looking for a decent rapier.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

"Spirited Away" is another beautiful film by the same director, enjoyable and moving to people who don't give a crap about stuff like "Pokemon" or "The Last Airbender". Think of them like Japanese "Lion King" or "Aladdin", and not obsessive fanboy "anime".

Woah, woah, woah.... The Last Airbender is a solid show. Lets not go lumping it in with pokemon.

Back