Questions about Emerson knives

I'd kick that up a step further. From personal experience, even most SF guys aren't knife nuts. At least they weren't back in the early 90's when I was assigned to 3rd Group and later 10th Group. The knife I remember seeing most frequently was the basic original Leatherman. There were also a lot of Gerbers (that's what the PX sold, mostly).

Outside of our community of knife-obsessed wackos, knives are just basic work tools to people whose work requires cutting things.
I concur.

Most sf type guys I know in and out of service, including those met in Astan, had/have scant interest in knives or guns outside of training/missions.

A whole lot of them only wanted to and talked about parachuting.

I like jumping out of perfectly good airplanes as much as the next guy but its hardly as interesting as knives:D

I concur.

Most sf type guys I know in and out of service, including those met in Astan, had/have scant interest in knives or guns outside of training/missions.

A whole lot of them only wanted to and talked about parachuting.

I like jumping out of perfectly good airplanes as much as the next guy but its hardly as interesting as knives:D

Jeebus I didn't! I was very happy when my orders got changed from Bragg to Drum

Enjoy your commander. If you don't, no worries but I it may be worth to check another. Although some of the designs don't appear overly different, they can feel totally different in hand.

I enjoy the emersons I have, have sold some that weren't for me and have another on the way. I could say the same thing about my benchmades, spydies...brous, hinderer, sebbie...etc etc...

Jeebus I didn't! I was very happy when my orders got changed from Bragg to Drum
I loved it though I jumped in my spare time with military buddies when we were all in the service (i.e. I was never paid to jump).

Not so much BEFORE the first jump though:D

From the plane, cows n people n cars suddenly looked VERY small on the ground.

My only ever handled an Emerson once several years ago. I didnt know what model it was then and i still don’t now. Absolutely nothing about it said it commanded the $250+ they cost. It was on the counter from a previous person checking it out so i picked it up to see what it was about. The guy at the counter was like, “that is a nice one.” I said, “if you say so.”

EDIT: it was a decent weight. Thats the only good thing i can say about it

I'm jealous, fort bliss wasn't actually bliss. 1st armored division moved to fort bliss while I was there, which is mostly the only notable thing about bliss. I'd have took bragg over bliss any day.

Tanks and missles is bliss..
I loved it though I jumped in my spare time with military buddies when we were all in the service (i.e. I was never paid to jump).

My five were enough :eek:

I've owned four Emersons (Mini CQC-7BW, Mini Commander, CQC-7V, CQC-7V with a scale swap), and I was happy with all of them. They all had good detents (ideal for me: won't shake out unless I try hard to make it shake out, but still opens smoothly), nice action, sharp blades, and good fit and finish. As I pared down my collection, I sold all but the scale-swapped 7V, which is my favorite.

On paper, I agree that they're expensive for the materials involved. The other two folders I kept, a Spyderco Military (G10/S30V) and Manix 2 LW (S110V) both cost less than my Emersons, use better materials, and have a finer level of "polish" to their construction. These days, those get carried more than my 7V because they're lighter, use steels I prefer, and have a flat grind for slicing; the Manix is my current EDC.

Where the Emersons I've owned have excelled was in hand and in use. Ergonomics are excellent, particularly the full-size CQC-7; it's one of the most comfortable knife handles I've ever held. Lockup is great, and they rarely need oiling. Action has remained excellent over the years, too. I also enjoy being able to lightly customize them without much work; the scale swap and larger thumb disk make my Emerson mine, which I dig.

Overall, there's just something about them that I like. They make good tools, and I enjoy using them.

I agree with the earlier recommendation to try before you buy, both so you can pick a handle that works for your hand and because there are enough stories out there about poor fit and finish to make me wary. I held two of mine before buying them (and ruled out several others in the store, because of shape in my hand), got lucky on one bought blind, and bought the other from a member who described it perfectly to me.

E8xDOop.jpg

Don't bother buying an Emerson.

Emersons are poor contenders in every category. A RAT 2 in D2 will do a better job and be more secure than any Emerson ever made. A Spyderco Military will slice better, last longer, and won't come apart if you abuse it.

I don't know where people seem to get this idea that an Emerson is somehow indestructible and their liner lock is immune to damage. There's no reason that you should have to adjust your blade in the field because it's poorly made (A well-made knife should not have to be adjust in the field because of somebody's ego), and there's also no reason for it to have a soft poor performing steel that's going to need constant maintenance. Want a hard use knife? Get something with better materials for less. Cold Steel has knives in S35VN now and will outlast any Emerson. Spyderco and any other knife manufacturer have plenty of options that will be better suited for abuse.

Emersons are poor contenders in every category. A RAT 2 in D2 will do a better job and be more secure than any Emerson ever made. A Spyderco Military will slice better, last longer, and won't come apart if you abuse it.

Where do you get the idea that Emerson knives come apart if you use them?
Sounds like you have opinions based on not using the knives...

I have 3 Spyderco Military's, and 5 Emerson knives. None of those knives have fallen apart.

I can tell you that the tip on the Military will bust off before the one on the Super Commander, if that's your definition of abuse.

Hey, look at this Emerson knife fall apart!

Where do you get the idea that Emerson knives come apart if you use them?
Sounds like you have opinions based on not using the knives...

I have 3 Spyderco Military's, and 5 Emerson knives. None of those knives have fallen apart.

I can tell you that the tip on the Military will bust off before the one on the Super Commander, if that's your definition of abuse.

Hey, look at this Emerson knife fall apart!

I'm sure he didn't mean literally, or at least I hope he didn't. The edge grind on those knives are probably the most stout thing about an emerson, for better or for worse.

While mine didn't fall apart, it certainly gave me the impression that it would, being easily one of the worst constructed knives I've ever taken apart. It literally creaked when I squeezed it tightly.

Last edited:
Uninformed drivel
:rolleyes:

I don't know where people seem to get this idea that an Emerson is somehow indestructible and their liner lock is immune to damage. There's no reason that you should have to adjust your blade in the field because it's poorly made (A well-made knife should not have to be adjust in the field because of somebody's ego), and there's also no reason for it to have a soft poor performing steel that's going to need constant maintenance. Want a hard use knife? Get something with better materials for less. Cold Steel has knives in S35VN now and will outlast any Emerson. Spyderco and any other knife manufacturer have plenty of options that will be better suited for abuse.

I'm sure he didn't mean literally, or at least I hope he didn't. The edge grind on those knives are probably the most stout thing about an emerson, for better or for worse.

While mine didn't fall apart, it certainly gave me the impression that it would, being easily one of the worst constructed knives I've ever taken apart. It literally creaked when I squeezed it tightly.

My Emerson Micro commander will creak a little bit if the screws are loose, particularly the pivot.

That said while the fit and finish is not amazing on Emersons, (it is improving lately) that in no way means they are poorly built or likely to fall apart.

In fact my Emersons are extremely well made. They are one of the few knives I can take apart again and again and they go back together with zero issue. Most other knives seem to be less capable of this.

I've bought 2 consecutive CQC-8's that had blades that would scrape the liners. I adjusted them and they would still scrape when using the thumb disk. That was a turn off.

I sold them with the described issue, and ordered another one, because I loved the feel, design, and double bevel.

The new one was off center, had a loose pocket clip, and had a double stamped logo (ghost stamp).

I sent it to Emerson and they sent me a new one. The new one is perfect, but I would still prefer my Recon 1 with the SnaggleTooth MF wave style device that cost half the price. Better in every category except feel in hand. The CQC-8 wins there for sure.

I think people defend Emerson knives because of the investment/attachment aspect. They are nice knives if you find one with good fit. However, there are better value knives that are more hard use oriented.

I only have one Emerson and it works just fine - centered, no scraping the liner - and sits well in the hand.

Im to some degree ambivalent about the knives and the marketing.

But I thought a couple of the posts here in this thread a bit over the top and must admit to not quite understand the claims of the knives falling apart, the loathing if not seemingly hatred from several forum members.

My Emerson Micro commander will creak a little bit if the screws are loose, particularly the pivot.

That said while the fit and finish is not amazing on Emersons, (it is improving lately) that in no way means they are poorly built or likely to fall apart.

In fact my Emersons are extremely well made. They are one of the few knives I can take apart again and again and they go back together with zero issue. Most other knives seem to be less capable of this.

Which model years are your knives? Mine was a 2012 Roadhouse. Maybe (hopefully) they've gotten better since. It creaked with everything tightened down just from pressure on the thumb ramp. I don't think the screws were loose, because that was already with a stiff pivot setup to keep the blade from wobbling and from opening up unintentionally.

IDK, my Emerson was more difficult to get back together than most other comparable liner/frame lock knives, and I was a bit concerned about stripping the hardware. For ease of maintenance, I prefer my ZT 0620.

Which model years are your knives? Mine was a 2012 Roadhouse. Maybe (hopefully) they've gotten better since. It creaked with everything tightened down just from pressure on the thumb ramp. I don't think the screws were loose, because that was already with a stiff pivot setup to keep the blade from wobbling and from opening up unintentionally.

IDK, my Emerson was more difficult to get back together than most other comparable liner/frame lock knives, and I was a bit concerned about stripping the hardware. For ease of maintenance, I prefer my ZT 0620.

I actually had the opposite problem. Those hourglass shaped standoffs used by ZT on the 0620 are alumnum I believe and highly prone to stripping. I actually had one on my 0620 that would get somehow stuck so the screw didn’t want to feed in or out of it. Don’t get me wrong the 0620 is a great knife and I love it, I just find it abit heavy.

On the other hand I am not saying the Emersons ar perfect either. The older backspacer versions I prefer have the screws fastening directly into the Ti which is also not good.

If your knife was creaking when you put pressure on the spine that was likely a bad lock. The creaking was likely abit of lock slip. In that case you should send it to Emerson for warranty work.

Sorry you had a bad experience with them.

Back