Reate Knives 2015 Horizon High-end Series

I dunno, did the knife sell out at the higher price point?? Cuz if it did, I guess it's not overpriced.

All we've heard about Reate for the past year or two has been "great value" and "you get a lot for what you pay". Well now maybe Reate is moving into a new category or whatever you'd call it. Maybe now, you're still getting quality materials, but paying for, in my opinion, better designs, and the fact that the brand has increased in popularity (due largely to word-of-mouth about their outstanding quality)
Reate is on the come up. People are miffed that the company is moving up and no longer solely producing $199 Ti framelock folders.
I think it's fine that the price if finally catching up with the quality, so now people can review Reate knives on their own merit, not just as "a good bargain" knife, but just "a good knife".

Well lets be straight here, Im not miffed. I am far from angry about any of this. I simply dont agree with a few of the choices and I am voicing that opinion in the hopes that since they have always listened to their customers they will continue to do so and it might mean something. I have no problem if reate wants to move into higher cost knives. But I think the higher cost should be proportional to the upgrades which I simply dont feel applies here. Had the horizon A never sold at the $250 you could buy them for I probably wouldnt be too alarmed at the price of this new version. Since I dont think I have been very clear on my position, these are the only things that I dont agree with

1. If the knife is comparable to an existing or recently discontinued model and the only real difference is price, Its hard for me to get behind it.

2. Anything pitched as anything approaching "high end" should imho be free of faux materials. Im not even against an artistic anodizing job. If it was a splash anodizing I think that would be awesome. Or even solid colors. But I think faux materials really dont exude a feeling of quality or class. Its like faux carbon fiber or pleather. And the fact that it doesnt match the backspacer anodizing is off to me too. Again just preferences.

Thats really it. Id probably even forgive the price if the anodizing was changed. Ive had these bouts of WTF before. The last time was with the southard. I ate crow on that one and I may still on this knife. As for people voting with their wallets, yeah the carbon fiber models seemed to move but not nearly as fast as I think anyone expected. And the full ti models seem to be stalling. You are right people did mostly talk about the value these knives possessed. And that is what I think really got people to try them. Im not saying to not expand into new territories. Im just saying dont forget the people who made you.

I didn't mean you specifically when I said "people are miffed". I meant anyone who is miffed.

" But I think the higher cost should be proportional to the upgrades which I simply dont feel applies here."
I understand why you would want that, but you have to allow for the possibility that the price may increase based solely on other factors besides materials.

"If the knife is comparable to an existing or recently discontinued model and the only real difference is price, Its hard for me to get behind it."
The knives may be comparable, but Reate is not the same company they were when the Horizon A was first released. Sorry. It's true though. I think Reate's rep has really increased in the past 12 months. And now people are taking notice and the "mid-tech crowd" is taking notice, and that crowd has more money to throw around, so you are seeing prices go up, simple as that.

I won't even address the "faux" ano comments. That's your personal taste. But I wouldn't use the term "faux" because it's not like David's trying to pass it off as timascus. It's just an ano style. Call it "swirl" or whatever you want.

I don't think Reate is forgetting anyone. Just released a new version of the D9 at $199 and the Hills is still $189 or so.
So I wouldn't say they are abandoning their fan base, they are just trying to welcome some richer guys into it ;) lol

Why are members continuously alowed to troll Reate and Kizer threads?....And no it is not just a matter of "sharing opinions". Is it because Reate doesn't have their own subforum? I've read that Kizer wants to open a subforum, what's the hold-up? What's stopping them? For comparision, I've seen members get warned or outright banned for trolling, or arguing with company reps or amongst others in other makers' threads/subforums. You weren't even allowed to say anything bad about a certain framelock company in their subforum at one point. Maybe a subforum is worth a try, so people who have negative EMOTIONS or have no interest in their knives do not have to visit them.

Mind you, I have very little interest in Reate and Kizer knives but do occasionaly check out these threads and it's always the same tired BS. Something should be done.

I agree.
That's why I spend so little time on the USN.

Threads are so interesting, and everyone learns so much when there is only one opinion allowed.

Nobody is trolling, that's just a way to categorize an opinion you don't like, and that's the problem in a lot of these threads.
There is nothing wrong with throwing a variety of opinions into one thread, it gives it substance. The issue's start when grown 'people' turn into babies about an opinion and everything turns into a personal attack war.

Otherwise, we shouldn't encourage any manufacture or maker to hide under a rock or in a sub-forum.

We all have questions and concerns when it comes to something we are so passionate about.
If I was a maker or manufacture I would welcome this as a chance to address everyone.

This is the best part about BF. I can not like something, and I can say it. Hope that doesn't change.....

In my opinion, strong candidates for Knife of the Year or Import Knife of the Year awards at Blade Show next month. Reate is certainly one of the higher end manufacturers in terms of quality.

I like the Mascus accents in pictures but won't know until my CF comes in next week. At 5.5 ounces the CF weighs just right for a 3.75" blade.

Horizon-D, at $400, is going to run about $150 more than the Horizon-C so I think it'll have a limited audience.

Note: You need pictures of the CF lock side and the backspacer.

I am VERY glad I actually own knives with real, 100% steel and parts. Little did I know that my knives, some 50 years old should have been Knife of the year. But, none of mine have fake parts or coatings, etc, and none would qualify for "imports".

My only reason for not liking the timascus parts is because it isnt really timascus. Its a nifty anodizing trick. It reminds me of other simulated materials which i really cant equate to high end no matter how good it looks.

It is not about where these knives are made, it is the constant bling and glitter show, attempting to tell us we should accept "faux" parts and services. That it's standard. It simply is not,, not even in Mid tech knives. Shiny hubcaps don't make a Kia, a Mercedes, but yes both will do the job, I agree. I have said since last years pass around that the non MFG., actually the importer of product in this case, not sure who actually makes it and the exact plant or the origin of the exact parts, is really a marketing expert. Today almost anyone can have products produced in various off shore markets, place a desired name on such produce and sell it as "special" to anyone willing to buy the knife. I am surprised with the past facts of origin and the complex attempt to identify the actual site of production, these knives still sell. And I respect the hard work of marketing these knives, but I shutter to think they are compared to CRK, Benchmade, Brous, Medford, etc. and one can purchase those knives < $400. I also wonder how many free knives were gifted as a marketing tool. The company has every right to demand pricing, but imo the knives do not support the cost.

I was hoping you would discuss the use of fake timascus which has been mentioned many times since page one. As in all threads that you reply to little facts like this are side stepped, over looked. However with nearly 10 pages of advertising here on Bladeforums, you have again proven that marketing is your strength. As for "your" factory, I did not realize you had actually purchased a Chinese plant. That must have required a lot of funding and knowledge, can we get photos of the facility or a location ? I am sure you are proud of it. Is that the same plant that makes parts imported for knife production to your Texas location ? I do own several knives designed by Todd Begg, but was not aware the parts were imported from China. Or are you still affiliated with Mr. Begg ? It's important to me, because the box and knife state, "USA made for domestic users", but it has been proven the parts were produced and imported from China. The knives I own also possess, " special, magical steel " was that too produced in "your" China plant ? As a customer I think I deserve a direct and honest answer, I would like to feel special about owning these knives, thanks, Sir.

Well,since Horizon-D series released,many people think that the price is too high.However it is the most resonable price that decide after our company meeting.We use the top material and special heat treatment technology with fine workmanship as well as strict quality.Maybe you guys think the price is too high,however,it is really the most resonable price.

I didn't mean you specifically when I said "people are miffed". I meant anyone who is miffed.

" But I think the higher cost should be proportional to the upgrades which I simply dont feel applies here."
I understand why you would want that, but you have to allow for the possibility that the price may increase based solely on other factors besides materials.

"If the knife is comparable to an existing or recently discontinued model and the only real difference is price, Its hard for me to get behind it."
The knives may be comparable, but Reate is not the same company they were when the Horizon A was first released. Sorry. It's true though. I think Reate's rep has really increased in the past 12 months. And now people are taking notice and the "mid-tech crowd" is taking notice, and that crowd has more money to throw around, so you are seeing prices go up, simple as that.

I won't even address the "faux" ano comments. That's your personal taste. But I wouldn't use the term "faux" because it's not like David's trying to pass it off as timascus. It's just an ano style. Call it "swirl" or whatever you want.

I don't think Reate is forgetting anyone. Just released a new version of the D9 at $199 and the Hills is still $189 or so.
So I wouldn't say they are abandoning their fan base, they are just trying to welcome some richer guys into it ;) lol

Well agree to disagree. Any material that isnt something but is made to LOOK like that something is a faux material. Faux leather, faux carbon fiber, man made gems, etc. Just because someone isnt trying to pass it off as the real thing doesnt mean its not a faux material. IMHO its a contradiction to use such a material and call it high end and charge a premium.

I was hoping you would discuss the use of fake timascus which has been mentioned many times since page one. As in all threads that you reply to little facts like this are side stepped, over looked. However with nearly 10 pages of advertising here on Bladeforums, you have again proven that marketing is your strength. As for "your" factory, I did not realize you had actually purchased a Chinese plant. That must have required a lot of funding and knowledge, can we get photos of the facility or a location ? I am sure you are proud of it. Is that the same plant that makes parts imported for knife production to your Texas location ? I do own several knives designed by Todd Begg, but was not aware the parts were imported from China. Or are you still affiliated with Mr. Begg ? It's important to me, because the box and knife state, "USA made for domestic users", but it has been proven the parts were produced and imported from China. The knives I own also possess, " special, magical steel " was that too produced in "your" China plant ? As a customer I think I deserve a direct and honest answer, I would like to feel special about owning these knives, thanks, Sir.

Im confused as to some of your inqueries. Particularly these

1. Todd Begg chinese knife thing- Todd has simply started using reate to make a production version of one of his designs. It seems to be an independent project from the rest of begg production so I dont understand why you are assuming other beggs tie into Reate.

2. Reate has always been a chinese company owned by a person of Chinese descent and I have not seen anything about them having a USA point of operation. You may be thinking of kizer.

1. Todd Begg chinese knife thing- Todd has simply started using reate to make a production version of one of his designs. It seems to be an independent project from the rest of begg production so I dont understand why you are assuming other beggs tie into Reate.

2. Reate has always been a chinese company owned by a person of Chinese descent and I have not seen anything about them having a USA point of operation. You may be thinking of kizer.

I think he was trying to allude to Quartermaster out of Texas, which has nothing to do with Reate.

2. Reate has always been a chinese company owned by a person of Chinese descent and I have not seen anything about them having a USA point of operation. You have bared your dumb ass for all the world to see.

I went and fixed that for you

And I respect the hard work of marketing these knives, but I shutter to think they are compared to CRK, Benchmade, Brous, Medford, etc. and one can purchase those knives < $400.

While I don't have any personal experience with Benchmade or Brous, my impression, based on what people say, is that their fit and finish/general quality is mediocre, while Reate's fit and finish/quality is excellent.

While I don't have any personal experience with Benchmade or Brous, my impression, based on what people say, is that their fit and finish/general quality is mediocre, while Reate's fit and finish/quality is excellent.

I can get behind that. When benchmade is on, they are spot on. But when they are having an off period its really off. Brous for me? IDK they just dont seem as refined as they should be for their cost and I find the finishing to be lacking. Honestly If I didnt know what I know I would think brous were made in china and Reate the USA. The T4 I had flipped decent and was solid but it was just really rough around the edges and honestly it reminded me of a wild boar clone honestly.

I would agree with that.

Well I am often wrong about things. And when this happens I like to own up to it. The more I am thinking about this knife and reading the comments and I am over my initial sticker shock I actually dont see these knives as overpriced. I would say they are right at their max potential for what they are. But the thing I forget and thanks to those who mentioned it yes the horizon A sold on bladehq for $250 but when it was first released it was a hundred dollars more. So now I am thinking maybe the low cost on the horizon A was to move a discontinued product. I advocate for china all the time. But even I can let the idea of cost cloud my thinking and I think that has happened hear. If you take where these things are made out of the equation and just judge the knife on its own merits I think the quality exceeds that of many of the USA based competitors. Not all but many. And maybe I can also admit to a small amount of resentment because the price was announced higher than I was wanting to pay so I had to justify my own contempt. Still even though I am coming around to the pricing, I still think the anodizing should be reconsidered. At least offer a choice of color or to have or not have that etch. I have a reputation as a bit of a ball buster and I would agree with that sentiment. But when I have a change of heart on something like this I feel its important to let that be known. So there it is.

Well I am often wrong about things. And when this happens I like to own up to it. The more I am thinking about this knife and reading the comments and I am over my initial sticker shock I actually dont see these knives as overpriced. I would say they are right at their max potential for what they are. But the thing I forget and thanks to those who mentioned it yes the horizon A sold on bladehq for $250 but when it was first released it was a hundred dollars more. So now I am thinking maybe the low cost on the horizon A was to move a discontinued product. I advocate for china all the time. But even I can let the idea of cost cloud my thinking and I think that has happened hear. If you take where these things are made out of the equation and just judge the knife on its own merits I think the quality exceeds that of many of the USA based competitors. Not all but many. And maybe I can also admit to a small amount of resentment because the price was announced higher than I was wanting to pay so I had to justify my own contempt. Still even though I am coming around to the pricing, I still think the anodizing should be reconsidered. At least offer a choice of color or to have or not have that etch. I have a reputation as a bit of a ball buster and I would agree with that sentiment. But when I have a change of heart on something like this I feel its important to let that be known. So there it is.

I respect you for stating your change of view. I've kind of come to the same opinion; I hovered over the "add to cart" button a couple of times on the CF model. I don't blink at dropping 4 bills on a ZT or CRK, and the fit, finish and materials on the Horizon D are certainly at or near equal to those brands. The biggest hangup I still have is local warranty service. Reate has no Stateside presence so for all purposes the knife comes with no warranty barring an uncertain overseas shipping. For that reason alone I don't feel that they can operate in the mid-tech price range but are obliged to sell at a some discount.

Another small issue is identification and production numbers. I like having a unique serial number or birth date on a knife that costs this much. I like knowing that my ZT 0392 is one of probably less than 500...or I can collect a CRK with the same born on date as me. They're little things, but without knowing production numbers, I really like to have some kind of unique identifier on blades that cost nearly half a grand.

And, as others have said, I'll be all over a smaller Reate...just so long as the price is smaller too!

And, as others have said, I'll be all over a smaller Reate...just so long as the price is smaller too!

I wish Reate would go straight to the just under 3 inch flipper pronto but if I remember correctly they're going with a 3.25"-3.3" blade length next.

They'll have serious competition since the high-quality LionSteel TRE flipper full titanium with a just under 3 inch M390 blade (Blade Show Overall Knife of the Year) should sell for just over $300 at U.S. dealers!

Wow, just looked at the LionSteel TRE...that is one SWEET looking knife! The G10 version should land at a little over $200. I may have to pick one up, looks like an ideal office environment EDC.

Back