1. Washington action alert - Spring blade knife ban repeal thread. Hearing is Tues, Vote is Friday, let your voice be heard!

Save the Gimmick, Just Make this Better

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by T.L.E. Sharp, Feb 5, 2018.

1. basmca

basmca

Aug 1, 2017
    this is a good point.

we are snobs, we want the best we can get for every knife that we like.
    most people aren't like this though, so that's where Kershaw and CRKT are aiming their products.
    not at the knife snob who demands atleast S35VN and turns his head as soon as he hears '' assisted with teflon washers''
    but at the people who just want a cool looking knife that cuts stuff and will do so for many years if not abused.

i do disagree with you on the ZT not making working knives part.
    what makes you feel ZT knives don't do well in actual use, for me the're great.

2. basmca

basmca

Aug 1, 2017
    tip down only carry also drives me up the wall...

GB940Rookie likes this.
  3. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will Gold Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Spyderco military comes to mind. A framelock, 4 position clip military would have made me spend the loot. But I know many of the guys here like it the way it is.

4. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I
    I think you are right that there are a lot of idiots out there who require flash on a knife, but there are still those who buy a standard basic crk sebenza or spyderco PM2.
    Those who just want the best cutting tool, don't most knife companies make cutting tools for people to use ? It's not like they come in display boxes.
    It would seem to me that with some companies it's like TV ratings, a lot of people may love it but if it's not who they target it gets canceled.
    It would also seem that they want the most popular YouTube reviewers to like it, if a reviewer who loved simplicity got very popular it may show that simplicity can sell.
    I may be wrong but I think enough people out there go for a simple cutting tool, not everyone out there is an idiot who desperately requires flash on a knife.

5. BubbaGump

BubbaGump

Oct 30, 2015
    Everyone is focused on folders. I see a lot of puzzling fixed blades that if not for the bizarre and gimmicky nature of the design, I would probably be seriously considering.

E.G.... TOPS Knives..If you want to know which ones I am talking about, just randomly pick out any one model outside of their Bushcraft/Camp series.

T.L.E. Sharp likes this.
  6. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Why do they have to be idiots, instead of just people who like something different than you like?

Cvrobinson, Armadew, palonej and 2 others like this.
  7. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    Because the stench of intolerance is a cologne he seems to enjoy.

Cvrobinson, willc, Armadew and 2 others like this.
  8. basmca

basmca

Aug 1, 2017
    almost everyone in some way or another likes to own a functional item(s) that are also good looking, even though that doesn't impact their function.
    it can be knives, cars, watches, clothes, houses, shoes, furnature, glassware, you name it.

some of them you may not understand, some of them that you do others may not understand.
    that doesn't make those people (or you) idoits.

BTW, @NickShabazz often praises a simple thing done well. he's one of the, if not the most populair youtuber when it comes to knives.

9. Quiet

Oct 11, 2013
    Well, to be fair, TOPS is definitely catering to their market. Well, perhaps not so much anymore. I haven't seen their latest revealed lineup, but I recall reading that it's more camp/woods style useful knives, and less commando SWATSEAL spec-ops battle knives now.

10. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Maybe idiots was a bit harsh, but I what I was referring to was someone saying " this knife isn't flashy enough for me to cut stuff with ", " it looks good, but needs to have some jewels added to it ".

11. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    I haven't been here as long as many guys, I have never seen anyone say those words.

Armadew and palonej like this.
  12. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    I get it, some people want a monochromatic, dull appearance, that doesn't have any appeal. But why on God's earth is someone having a knife that looks good and functional a bad thing? I don't know anyone on this forum who has jewels in their knife or refuses to use a knife because it's jewel less.

It's either no frills plain or decked out in jewels huh? No middle ground?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Quiet, palonej and basmca like this.
  13. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar

Sep 1, 2016
    At the end of the day, the truth is that we, the entire population of knife users, are spoiled for choice. There's a multitude of knives at every price point and for every user. From that perspective, Kershaw, CRKT, et al. fill their market niche admirably.

However, it's obvious that we, actual knife enthusiasts, would want more and better from the knives we see and use. It seems to me that we should naturally, as enthusiasts, want it all (full functionality, great fit and finish, terrific appearance and quality materials) within the limits of our budgets.

palonej and benchwarmer380 like this.
  14. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    blade geometry. they are too thick behind the edge.

15. BubbaGump

BubbaGump

Oct 30, 2015

TOPS invested too much into the tacticool craze. Hopefully they are moving a bit back towards a mainstream design philosophy as their bushcraft and scandi line is really good. If they can expand on this they can reap some better profits. But IMO, their brand is synonymous with goofy 'tactical' designs in a lot of people's mind and this causes these potential customers to overlook or ignore their bushcraft line.

16. basmca

basmca

Aug 1, 2017
    for my use it isn't a problem, but i will agree many are too thick.
    recently bought an Opinel, and wow the difference in slicing....

Pomsbz and Mo2 like this.
  17. Quiet

Oct 11, 2013
    You aren't wrong!

18. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    I've seen you say this many times. What angle would you suggest for the average joe that scrapes his edge against God knows what?

19. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    And just so we're clear, I reprofile my knves to around 30 degrees inclusive. I completely get the difference in cutting ability. That said, I witness the non knife people all the time.. it's HORRIFIC.

20. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    I generally agree (e.g. the 0801 log splitting wedge, er, knife) but there are exceptions. I carry the 0770cf semi-regularly and while it doesn't cut like a laser it also doesn't cut like an axe either.

It's how thin the blade is behind the edge--and for deep cuts how thin it is in totality--that has the biggest effect on performance, assuming edges are sharpened similarly when comparing two knives. It's not rocket science or magic, take your thickest tacticool folder and sharpen it similar to a small Opinel and see which cuts better for a variety of tasks. Outside of splitting wood or prying, the flimsy little Opinel will win in a landslide . . .

Full disclosure: I often carry too-thick folding brick knives, including possibly the ultimate stupidity--a Medford. I don't pretend thick knives excel at being knives, though.

Pomsbz and Mo2 like this.