Sebenza 25 Micarta

I don't like it either. No offense meant to CRK. I have two micarta large 21's and think they are perfect for the ratio of inlay to surface area.

I find myself feeling kinda sorry for Chris, or whomever came up with this design. It must be hard to put your new baby on display and have everyone tell you your kid is butt-ugly...

I agree with Cody here, I'm sure there was a lot of thought put into it, for me, the separation between the two pieces might provide a better grip, placement for your fingers, while the previous micarta inserts where spaced close together they might have well have been one piece.

Again, all speculation on my part, but I'd not toss out the baby with the bath water just yet ;)
G2

Last edited:
my first reaction was no way, my second was I'm glad I have a drawer full of 21s with inlays.

My first thought was "yea I hate it" but after looking at if for a second I said wow I get it that is pretty cool. I bet it will offer a great grip.

No thanks. Does not flow with the knife to me.

Looks like I'm slowly going to distance myself from buying anymore Chris reeve....

May I see the back side please?
It looks like pure business. IMHO GWG is right and it looks like the positioning adds to the grip.
I'd also like ot see the other variants ( positioning and size of the inlays) to make up my mind.
From what i can see now the inlay does not offer much space to display the pattern of wood.
So this can be seen as a step back to the "Sebenza = work" motto.
I'd love to handle one.
red mag

I can and have spent CRK-level $'s on knives, but I don't know that I can make myself do it for ugly ones. :(

It's time to start hoarding 21 with inlays.

I thought the same thing when I found out about the 25 coming out. The whole reason I love the Sebenza is because of the bushing system. It seems that it's only a matter of time before the 21 gets phased out like all the other previous Sebenza models :yawn: Don't get me wrong I really want to get a 25 when money is right but I won't be getting rid of my 21.

I spoke with Heather from CRK this morning. They are now taking orders on the 25 micarta. I'm personally sticking to the 21's.

I spoke with Heather from CRK this morning. They are now taking orders on the 25 micarta. I'm personally sticking to the 21's.

I expect they will sell a good number of them, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be improved. No bushings and those inlays... not for me.

I actually don't think they look bad. I've always seen CRK as function over form. Hard to knock the design without first having held it. Might pick it up and say, "Ok, I see why he did it like this." But as I said I don't think they look bad. Hopefully I'll get to handle one at Blade this year and I'll judge it then. That's my perspective and it could be that the looks just rule it out for you and that is understandable when you pay this much for a knife.

I also wonder if the "difference" from the inlay 21 is putting some of you off? Some of you love the inlays on the 21 and can't get use to this at first sight. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Ok, when I first looked at this, it was on my phone. Now that I look at it on a proper computer, I don't think it is as bad as I originally thought. The bottom inlay is the one that still seems off. I would need more pics and to hold one before I make final judgment.

When I first saw a plain sebenza, I thought 'wow that is a neat knife', when I saw a wood inlay sebenza I had to buy one (or two). Love at FIRST sight.

Inlay 25? More I look at it the more I dislike it.

Having cost SO much, it really should be a blend of looks and function.

I actually don't think they look bad. I've always seen CRK as function over form. Hard to knock the design without first having held it. Might pick it up and say, "Ok, I see why he did it like this." But as I said I don't think they look bad. Hopefully I'll get to handle one at Blade this year and I'll judge it then. That's my perspective and it could be that the looks just rule it out for you and that is understandable when you pay this much for a knife.

I also wonder if the "difference" from the inlay 21 is putting some of you off? Some of you love the inlays on the 21 and can't get use to this at first sight. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I think of Strider as function over form, CRK IMO is lovely simplistic design. This is not lovely or simple to my eye.

So this is really for real? Sorry to say, but I almost feel like this is a psychology experiment to see if CRK fans will accept almost anything CRK puts out. Sorry to sound so negative - I'll stop commenting on this knife now.

I also inquired with CRK regarding this one and she said it "may change" but did not have any further details available on it.

Like MRaymond I saw it on my phone first and thought it was hideous. So, I checked it out on my computer--still hideous.

A single inlay would look awesome if proportioned correctly. The one pictured is not my cup of tea. But I remember when the umnumzaan first came out there were quite a few detractors that really really disliked the, "oversized, ugly proprietary pivot". Sometimes I wonder if it's change we don't like.

A single inlay would look awesome if proportioned correctly. The one pictured is not my cup of tea. But I remember when the umnumzaan first came out there were quite a few detractors that really really disliked the, "oversized, ugly proprietary pivot". Sometimes I wonder if it's change we don't like.

Maybe, but nonetheless there is something off with those inlays. Need more pics IMO.

Back