Sebenza 25 Micarta

DO NOT LIKE!!! :thumbdn::thumbdn:

One piece would have been much more appealing. There was a thread a while back where someone photoshopped a CF piece on a 25...now that looked good

I also inquired with CRK regarding this one and she said it "may change" but did not have any further details available on it.

I'm disappointed as well in the current design. What's funny though is if CRK releases say 100 as it is now and eventually changes the design those 100 will instantly become collectors items! I'm not embarrassed to admit that I'd want one then...maybe I should buy one now just in case lol.

I'm disappointed as well in the current design. What's funny though is if CRK releases say 100 as it is now and eventually changes the design those 100 will instantly become collectors items! I'm not embarrassed to admit that I'd want one then...maybe I should buy one now just in case lol.

They will be as collectible as a Pontiac Aztec.

No bushing, no lanyard hole, different grind, ugly inlays- this is no longer a Sebenza in my book. Between increasing the base price knife from $410 to $445 and reducing the complexity and aesthetics, I believe the Sebenza is loosing its value and increasing margins for CRK.

No bushing, no lanyard hole, different grind, ugly inlays- this is no longer a Sebenza in my book. Between increasing the base price knife from $410 to $445 and reducing the complexity and aesthetics, I believe the Sebenza is loosing its value and increasing margins for CRK.

Doubtful. The 25 grind is much more complex to do than a simple hollow grind, and they are hand finished after they leave the CNC machine. The aesthetics are a very relative thing, but removing that superfluous hole in the front scale and the lanyard hole looks nice to me. The standoff is now machined so the lanyard can go around it, and the setup works really well. Setting that ceramic ball in there perfectly isn't exactly easy, either. All of the tolerances are still the same, and they make the large, high tolerance pivot in house (I think).

I don't like the looks of the micarta, but there is no reason to think that the 25 costs less for them to make. I get the impression that it actually costs more.

I wonder if they could reduce the 25 price if you just get one thumb lug.

Doubtful. The 25 grind is much more complex to do than a simple hollow grind, and they are hand finished after they leave the CNC machine. The aesthetics are a very relative thing, but removing that superfluous hole in the front scale and the lanyard hole looks nice to me. The standoff is now machined so the lanyard can go around it, and the setup works really well. Setting that ceramic ball in there perfectly isn't exactly easy, either. All of the tolerances are still the same, and they make the large, high tolerance pivot in house (I think).

I don't like the looks of the micarta, but there is no reason to think that the 25 costs less for them to make. I get the impression that it actually costs more.

I agree with this. I just got my first 25. I do not feel its a lower quality knife than my 21's, regardless of what can be said about it's design. In fact the hand done items like the sharpening, and spine rounding on my 25 is finer than on any of my 21's. The blade came with an almost mirror polish flawless convex secondary bevel, and the high hollow grind is fantastic, and perfectly and precisely executed. Also the blade centering on my 25 is perfect, which it is not on two of my 21s, so I have no issues with the 25 in terms of value, or fit and finish. I do still think those new 25 inlays are not to my taste, and just don't seem to have the same great appeal that the inlays on the 21 have for me (I liked the 21 inlays the first time I laid eyes on them). I always thought the 21 inlay was perfectly executed, in perfect proportions, and the split design is an iconic part of the look of a Sebenza. Don't feel the same about the 25 inlays (at least for now).

You guys bring up some good points. The vast majority of the CRK business is fueled by the Sebenza. It's not like many people are purchasing TiLocks and Sikayos. The look of these inlays may very well cut down on the number of variations people will buy. I certainly won't feel the need for a CF, micarta and wood variants like I have now with the 21.

The Sebenza was a lot like the BMW 3 series. Car and Drivers 10 best for 22 years in a row. Performance and excellence you could expect. BMW looks to continually improve the 3 series without loosing the spirit of the car. I believe this variation of the Sebenza has lost its spirit.

1st time i look at chris reeve knife and my mind said...its ungly...
Please.. just stick micarta on this inlay design if you have to and make it as limited edition (for those who really need it) and do make up a new design for other wood and ivory inlay...

You guys bring up some good points. The vast majority of the CRK business is fueled by the Sebenza. It's not like many people are purchasing TiLocks and Sikayos. The look of these inlays may very well cut down on the number of variations people will buy. I certainly won't feel the need for a CF, micarta and wood variants like I have now with the 21.

The Sebenza was a lot like the BMW 3 series. Car and Drivers 10 best for 22 years in a row. Performance and excellence you could expect. BMW looks to continually improve the 3 series without loosing the spirit of the car. I believe this variation of the Sebenza has lost its spirit.

Very we'll said !

This comparison I like.

Just looked at it again after a day, still ugly. I can't exactly articulate what the problem is, it's just"off".

Just looked at it again after a day, still ugly. I can't exactly articulate what the problem is, it's just"off".

Same here...I've been looking at it all day, and it just doesn't look right. Maybe different pics and held in the hand will be better...I'm really hoping.

Remember way back when the 25 first came out and BBQ boy posted the first pics for us here? Even then we speculated on inlays, 99% of us hoping they would be one piece, similar to the annuals. Alas, not to be. Oddly proportioned inlays. There has to be a reason. Idk. I'd even take the 21 inlays over this. These just seem thin and out of whack. Much like the Idaho Made, although not a beloved addition, I don't see this stopping people from snatching em up and I don't see CRK changing things based off customers disapproval:p

Last edited:
Eh, the more I look at it the more it grows on me. It has a funky vibe to it I can dig. I think, for me, it was a long build up to the land of inlays for the 25 only to have a slight swoop in inlays that are similar to the 21. Kinda like expecting something for Xmas and still getting a cool gift just not the gift you were expecting. CRK brings out the spoiled brat in me:D

Back