Short sword for battling zombies

I don't think a short sword would be good for zombies. A sword is good for cutting and stabbing, but zombies aren't going to stop for that. You either have to smash their skull, or cut their head off to stop them. You just need more IMPACT that a sword can provide.
I would rather have some kind of mace or axe. That way if they don't die, at least the impact would throw them back. Of the two, I would rather have the mace. It won't get stuck in them.

On second thought, you can't cut off a head with a mace. Let's go with the axe. Just be careful not to get it stuck. I would pick an all-steel type. You don't want the handle breaking. Go shorter, for tight spaces, but make sure it's not too light. You want a good head smasher.

Here's the perfect one, an Estwing camp axe. It's super well made, one solid bar of forged steel. Heavy, but not too, and short enough to stick in your belt and not trip your knees up. You can also conceal it with a trench coat.

I sprayed mine with candy-red metallic paint.

thumb2.php

The khopesh is a sword which is used much like a battle axe. Some scholarly theory even suggests the earliest versions of the khopesh from ancient mesopotamia were developed from the 'epsilon axe'.

As such the edge on a proper khopesh should be rather axe-like in profile. I hand convexed mine and it cuts like the dickens while still having the impact effect of an axe.

Maybe something axe like combined with a sword style blade like this could be interesting:

Panabas.jpg

The Filipino Panabas
"... is a chopping weapon favored by the Moro tribes of Mindanao, which soon gained its place as a weapon of war similar to the western battle axe and with just as deadly results!

The above has a Blade Length of 19.75inches with an Overall Length of 34inches."

bansh.jpg

The Banshee is a cutting sword first and last.( ZOMBIE CUTTING THAT IS !!!!!!!)
Overall length : 83 cm.
Blade : 53,5 cm High-carbon steel, heat treated for optimum shock absoption and edge retention.
Weight : 820 g.

$245 :) good price !!!

They go for $150 or less.

zombie hunting is utterly useless, unless there are actually zombies...in which case you look like a genious!
ETA Becker is supposed to be reintroducing the machax, it will be more affordable than some of your other options. it is about 9.5" on the blade length.

Last edited:
Now that is interesting! :eek: :D :thumbup:

I'd like to see a variation of one of those that was designed for use as a combination felling/brush axe. Then all the people who don't like machetes would be able to clear brush and grasses/brambles. :p

With Zombies, how much damage do I have to inflict to move on to the next one? I know this thread is about short swords, but after using my Rodent Waki on different sizes of wood, I worry that it would just get stuck in some Zombie's head. Makes me think that the aluminum t-ball bat I was holding yesterday would be the better tool. "Shawn of the Dead" is a good example of blunt force trauma.
It was on clearance, $9, Easton 25", 15oz, and fast in one hand. I love the Rodent Waki, but it seems better in one hand, in a two handed swing it's too short and you loose reach. A two handed stab would be powerful, but a swing is slow and akward.
I need a Zombie analog to try each, so I know which one to grab, if/when the Zeds wake up.

Get a CS Brooklyn Smasher and screw some big gnarly bolts into it. :D

Good choice. Pierce and smash. :D:thumbup:

It's also a valuable tool for surviving such a situation because... it's a big hammer. You can use it to batter down doors (or at least bust the locks or hinges off), disabling vehicles, or smashing just about anything. It's also a very sturdy weapon.

Something like the Stanley Fubar might be a good choice then?

In the meantime, I'm quite happy with my Abaddon by John Gage.

I can't believe no one's covered the Grosse Messer by Cold Steel!
It definitely deserves a mention!

grosse-messer-88gms.jpg

Can you say Zombie Weapon? :)

check out the video too[video=youtube;kj4WRhG5BW0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj4WRhG5BW0[/video]

Made of 1055 mixed with a healthy dose of pure awesomeness and a dash of decapitated zombies ;)

I submitted a special request to Chris Palmer six weeks ago for a tweaked version of his standard khopesh. My modifications were a spur on the handle to help secure my hand on it, a lanyard hole (which I'm actually going to use for a decorative braided leather tassel), and slightly wider cutting bevels. He modified the design himself a little bit further by making it slightly narrower in both blade and hilt with less pronounced hooks on the blade.

The resulting piece is a thoroughbred high performance khopesh; lighter, leaner, more agile, and very very wickedly fast. I received it in the mail saturday morning and I couldn't possibly be more pleased with it. An ancient design made perfect by the use of modern 5160 steel. I'm ready to do some smiting now.

I submitted a special request to Chris Palmer six weeks ago for a tweaked version of his standard khopesh. My modifications were a spur on the handle to help secure my hand on it, a lanyard hole (which I'm actually going to use for a decorative braided leather tassel), and slightly wider cutting bevels. He modified the design himself a little bit further by making it slightly narrower in both blade and hilt with less pronounced hooks on the blade.

The resulting piece is a thoroughbred high performance khopesh; lighter, leaner, more agile, and very very wickedly fast. I received it in the mail saturday morning and I couldn't possibly be more pleased with it. An ancient design made perfect by the use of modern 5160 steel. I'm ready to do some smiting now.

Do we REALLY have to ask? PICS!

Here ye be:

117.jpg

Close to the same dimensions as the last one except the blade is a wee bit narrower as is the circumference of the hilt. Mr. Palmer seems to be using slightly thicker steel too. Very graceful and refined. Very agile and quick. The khopesh is a primitive sword from ancient times but there's really nothing "primitive" about it. These were well designed and deadly weapons in use for about 3,000 years and the khopesh finally became extinct by about 1000 BC give or take (from what I've read they're still arguing about that) a few centuries.

Overall length: 22.5" / 57.2cm
Blade length: 16.25" / 41.3cm

Haven't got my hilt decorated yet. I have a piece of deerskin thong I'm going to use but I'm going to brown it up in some coffee grounds first.

And yes I know the date stamp on the pic is wrong.

I am bringing my 22 inch hand forged Damascus Steel Langsax to the party. Razor sharp, .25 thick, hell for stout.
Langsax.jpg

^ Is that 22" overall or just the blade? Very cool either way — I really like the copper collar on the handle.

Back