Sloppy Spyderco Fit & Finish- Manix 2 XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spyderco will do you right don't worry, I've owned a lot of spydercos and had a small problem with 1 out of probably 40 that I've owned, I sent the knife in and spyderco took care of me they fixed the knife and sent it back to me and now it's perfect. My question is, Is the jimping on that manix hurting your hands or is it just that you don't like it because it might not be identical on both sides??

The OP has every right to complain about bad fit & finish. This is a public forum where we come to discuss, debate and raise issues. It is not the Care Bears forum where everything is rainbows and smiles. Sometimes people will complain about things. Knife manufacturers will get it wrong sometimes and their customers will address the issue as they see fit, even if a forum posting is not the best way to resolve it.

I have read many posts in the past about bad F&F relating to many knife brands, most of the time people will sympathize or tell the OP how their model is perfect. It seems to me that the larger issue with this post is that it is a post complaining about Spyderco. It irks me that on this forum Sal and Spyderco are gods and can do no wrong. Heaven forbid somebody points out a failing or short coming. Heathens and Heretics!

Don't misunderstand me. I REALLY like my Spyderco knives, and have not had any quality or F&F issues. So I am not bashing Spyderco at all. What I am saying is that the Spyderco fanboys on Bladeforums need to get off their high horses for a while and realize that Spyderco is fallible.

There is no point in starting up something with 'fanboys', especially since you profess in being a Spyderco fan yourself. A few members posted their opinions and that was it. And after reading through this thread again, I didn't read any post that mentioned Sal and Spyderco as being gods.....no need for the drama in your post. :rolleyes:

Next time post this is whine and cheese and not the Spyderco forum, youll have way less fanboys hating on you for posting a legitimate complaint.

There is no point in starting up something with 'fanboys', especially since you profess in being a Spyderco fan yourself. A few members posted their opinions and that was it. And after reading through this thread again, I didn't read any post that mentioned Sal and Spyderco as being gods.....no need for the drama in your post. :rolleyes:

I am a fan....

Urban dictionary - fanboy
a person willing to defend and promote the object of his affection regardless of fact and objectivity

a fanboy...not so much.

I never said this thread mentioned Spyderco and Sal being gods. That comment comes from years spent lurking on this forum. I have felt this way for some time, but I have not voiced my opinion. It built up and all came out now.

The OP has the right to be disappointed, but posting a rant or complaint in a public forum does nothing to fix the problem. All threads like this do is get everyone riled up, and give pause to uninformed, potential new customers. Sometimes the complaint is legit and sometimes it's not, but in any case why would someone use this as their first recourse (especially when they profess their fondess for said company and their products)? Everyones image gets tarnished and no one wins.

People, please remember that it is always best to let the dealer, or Spyderco have a chance to take care of the problem before bringing it to the boards.

I have had to send a couple of Spyderco's back over the years, but Spyderco made it right both time's, as they do for most all that has a problem.
At least give them a chance please. If they don't take care of you then take your pics and start a long thread about it, but at least give them a chance.

This site would be full of threads like this if everyone that got a production knife with flaws started a thread about it before contacting the dealer or manufacturer.

Let's not squash individuals rights on a public forum or chastise them for "venting" but rather educate and give sound advice on the correct and possibly better way to resolve an issue. Sal & Deacon seem able to get the point across with out belittling folks and so should we all. When a particular person does not respond to rational advise then it is their loss and we ought to let them be on their way rather than throw fuel on the fire.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/829215-Juice-fit-and-finish?highlight=fit+finish
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/779752-Vulcan-fit-and-finish?highlight=fit+finish
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/758371-Case-fit-and-finish?highlight=fit+finish

The threads above have taken a totally different path to this thread. But then again, they are not about Spyderco.

So come to onto Bladeforums and tell us how your last 3 Benchmades have been flawless and every Spyderco you own is perfect. That's great publicity for the manufacturers. If they can publicly benefit from those kind of posts, then they can be held publicly accountable if they make a mistake every now and again. It swings both ways.

Lots of good points being made here. I agree this thread does NOTHING to solve my problem. And I am very certain that Spyderco will make this right when my knife is shipped and reaches them. However, this sort of cosmetic damage (in my opinion) is unacceptable and I see no wrong in voicing my experience and holding Spyderco accountable. This will not sway my further purchases because I know this sort of thing happens every now and again and who knows, maybe my pictures will make Sal and whoever else see a potential problem in their machining/QC (this is a fairly new product). I like keeping things transparent and I will keep this thread up to date.

This thread was not meant to be an angry rant, If I thought this was an accurate example of Spyderco's products I would have made it very clear to stay away from them.

First off, I never "squashed" the OP's right to publicly view his frustration, actually, I agreed with his diappointment. I just pointed out the ramifications to ALL parties that happens with these kinds of threads. Secondly, Crispy, how does this make a company held accountable? It doesn't change his disappointment, and it doesn't fix the issue with his knife. Using the word "accountable" implies that this was done on purpose and malicious.

Mike, lets not get pedantic about actual words used. If you dont like "accountable" then I'll think up a new one for you later.

My point is that if we are only ever going to report good things on this forum, then what is the point.

If I want to buy a particular product, I usually do some research on it first. One of the places I look is a related forum. On these forums I hope to find honest feedback both positive and negative. If a company is doing a good job then there will be more positive feedback. I believe Spyderco falls into this category. So if somebody does have a negative experience, then let them have their say.

And once again...Spyderco is not the target of my posts, the Fanboys are who I am taking aim at.

Agreed, no war of words. I just think you read far too much into my post. I have no problem with negative feedback, but what's the point in doing so before contacting the dealer or manufactuer? Every company of any product can have a lemon slip through. :)

Agreed on the lemons ;-)

Lets also agree that we are both coming at this from slightly different points of view, both of which are valid, and if we carry on Im not going to get enough sleep.

Cheers, sleep tight.

No one should be saying- it's only $100 why should he expect excellent fit and finish. If a person or company takes true pride in their product, whether $10 or $100,000, they will assure quality fit and finish. That's what we use to expect in the US. Maybe we lost that.

Agreed on the lemons ;-)

Lets also agree that we are both coming at this from slightly different points of view, both of which are valid, and if we carry on Im not going to get enough sleep.

Cheers, sleep tight.

Agreed. Rest well.

I see no need to bring up the issue until you contact Spyderco or the site where you bought it. I agree, I would feel slighted as well, but this is something Spyderco will take care of.

Lots of good points being made here. I agree this thread does NOTHING to solve my problem. And I am very certain that Spyderco will make this right when my knife is shipped and reaches them. However, this sort of cosmetic damage (in my opinion) is unacceptable and I see no wrong in voicing my experience and holding Spyderco accountable. This will not sway my further purchases because I know this sort of thing happens every now and again and who knows, maybe my pictures will make Sal and whoever else see a potential problem in their machining/QC (this is a fairly new product). I like keeping things transparent and I will keep this thread up to date.

This thread was not meant to be an angry rant, If I thought this was an accurate example of Spyderco's products I would have made it very clear to stay away from them.
No problem with that, as long as you're willing to accept the fact that those whose opinions with regard to the minor cosmetic imperfections you consider unacceptable differ from yours have an equal right to express theirs. In that regard, mine would be that persons who require an extremely high level of fit and finish on production knives should at least consider restricting their sources to brick and mortar dealers within driving distance, so as to allow personal inspection prior to purchase.

I read and this and just set here and laugh to myself. It really seems as if anybody says anything about someone's favorite knife brand they get jumped on, the funny thing is this young man bought a knife from a major knife company and when he got it it had some issues(and looking at the heel of the knife where there is jimping on one side and not on the other, that is an issue) if anybody on this forum bought an Apple Imac and when they opened it up it had a button missing or a scratch across the screen you would be mad as heck. Now the scratch on the screen did not affect the working of the computer it is cosmetic damage but I would still be pissed. The thing is regardless of what we think this knife is not perfect to him, and if you got something you were unhappy with you might not post it on a forum but your gonna tell somebody and then they will tell somebody and so on. The way I see it with a company like Spydero by him posting this thread it might prevent this from happening to somebody else, when you get your food at a fast food restaurant and it's not right do you turn around and go back or just go home, I turn around and go back every time and the thing is it's just like this knife sure he going to send up having to send it back and blah, blah, blah but it is an inconvenience to him just like turning around and going back to a restaurant is when they mess up your order. Maybe this thread will help Spyderco's attention to detail because everyone on this forum knows that in reality that knife should have never left Spyderco because somebody put that knife together and somebody should have caught that on an inspection. Just my 2 cents, everyone have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back