Sloppy Spyderco Fit & Finish- Manix 2 XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you contact them via email? I received this when I sent a Leafstorm in for warranty service:

"Unless there is a problem we do not notify you upon arrival or departure of your knife. We are currently at 3 week turn around. Spyderco cannot be responsible for items that do not arrive to us. When mailing your package you should send it in a box (knives have a way of working out of bubble mailers)."

Did you contact them via email? I received this when I sent a Leafstorm in for warranty service:

Okay well at least I'm not wondering anymore. Did they pay for your shipping? Did they include a free gift for your troubles? Anything like that?

You have every right to be disappointed. Sure your course of action may not have been the best, but people are getting a little too bent out of shape about it. It's not like you came here slandering spyderco, your just expressing your feelings. 100$ and up should buy you a knife with good (not excellent) fit and finish. This knife would be below my standards too (which are based on the standards spyderco has set for themselves).

Most of my knives are spydies and i've never seen a liner with machining marks like that. Looks like it came loose while it was being machined and you see lots of tool chatter (or water jet chatter? if that makes sense). That should have gone in the scrap bin, liners are not worth that much.

Spyderco will take care of you, let us know how it goes.

Okay well at least I'm not wondering anymore. Did they pay for your shipping? Did they include a free gift for your troubles? Anything like that?

No. They didn't pay for shipping. That's what the $5 was for. Anything for my troubles? No. They fixed the knife, that's all I needed.

No. They didn't pay for shipping. That's what the $5 was for. Anything for my troubles? No. They fixed the knife, that's all I needed.

Hmm, well if it was a repair I suppose I understand a bit more. If I ran a company, I would do everything in my power to apologize to the customer in an event like this. But we'll see.

Apologize for what? Did the knife cut or not? Cosmetic issues can be bothersome, but come on it's a $100 production knife. How did it perform? I'd still say you're getting a deal, flat ground S30V, caged ball bearing lock on a huge knife with excellent ergos. You act like they done you something dirty. If you're looking for absolute perfection, don't buy production unless it's a Chris Reeve. Not trying to be a prick, but let's see you try and find a knife with all these features and materials for $100 someplace else. Bet you can't.

I don't have much money, so when I spend $100 I want to get my monies worth. One of the liners is perfect, the other is defective and damaged. Is that so ridiculous for me to be annoyed?

In my experience, $100 does not buy perfection. In this range, I've purchased multiple Spydies. I have a Manix 2, Manix 2 XL, and Manix Lightweight. I also have a Para Military 2. None are perfect, although the regular Manix 2 was closest. All others have off-center blades and some other fitment issues.

To me, they're awesome at this price. If you want perfection, get a $400 Sebenza. I'm afraid your quality demands at this price point are a bit high.

If you can pay closer to MSRP, buy the knife at a local retailer. You can check out the knife before buying. When you buy online, it's luck of the draw on what you get.

Apologize for what? Did the knife cut or not? Cosmetic issues can be bothersome, but come on it's a $100 production knife. How did it perform? I'd still say you're getting a deal, flat ground S30V, caged ball bearing lock on a huge knife with excellent ergos. You act like they done you something dirty. If you're looking for absolute perfection, don't buy production unless it's a Chris Reeve. Not trying to be a prick, but let's see you try and find a knife with all these features and materials for $100 someplace else. Bet you can't.

Every Kershaw I own came with flawless fit and finish. Those were 1/3 the price. The knife would also cut if the handles were broken in half, your point? I know this knife is a killer deal, but I expect every company to provide a quality product at ANY price point. You've got to be insane if you honestly think the only knife one should expect to be a flawless is a custom. Spyderco should be apologetic they allowed a liner such as the one pictured to go through quality control.

I will be very disappointed if when I finally receive my knife it costed me $5 extra, a trip to the post office, and 2-3 weeks (maybe more..) of my patience all just to get the knife I originally expected and paid for. I feel entitled to something in return for this annoying situation. Call me what you will.

Why did you not just exchange it with the dealer?

Sell or trade the knife and move on. Your being unreasonable at this point, should have sent the knife back to where you bought it and asked for someone to inspect a replacement. This sense of entitlement is really overbearing by any standards. Yep, the liners were gnarly and there was a simple solution to the problem. Yet you chose to go on with this like a long drawn out soap opera. For what, $5? What are you really hoping to gain here? Stop and think how this is making you look.

2 weeks sounds about right. It took Kershaw a week just to send me some screws and a clip. You do realize that you're probably not the only one sending in knives for warranty right?

Sell or trade the knife and move on. Your being unreasonable at this point, should have sent the knife back to where you bought it and asked for someone to inspect a replacement. This sense of entitlement is really overbearing by any standards. Yep, the liners were gnarly and there was a simple solution to the problem. Yet you chose to go on with this like a long drawn out soap opera. For what, $5? What are you really hoping to gain here? Stop and think how this is making you look.

Don't look to far into this. I'm simply mad at how long this is taking. The whole gift/entitlement thing is a semi-joke anyways. However I do feel strongly they pay for my shipping, just because I shouldn't lose a cent over this.

I didn't send it back to the dealer because it's not their fault. However they did promise to send me a new one if Spyderco would not.

For a $100 factory knife, I think it looks fine.

If sending it back makes you happy, go for it. Maybe they will hand pick one for you this time.

There is no such thing as a perfect knife; custom or factory.

I've had $600 folders with obvious flaws.

Your right it isn't the dealers fault but I don't drive to Detroit when my car has a problem.

Don't look to far into this. I'm simply mad at how long this is taking. The whole gift/entitlement thing is a semi-joke anyways. However I do feel strongly they pay for my shipping, just because I shouldn't lose a cent over this.

I didn't send it back to the dealer because it's not their fault. However they did promise to send me a new one if Spyderco would not.

I am, in no way, saying that Spyderco would not replace the knife BUT if you had just sent the knife back to the dealer that you bought it from(after they told you they would replace it with a new one) and ask them to inspect the new one they were sending you, all of this would have been taken care of within the first week of you becoming aware of the problem. And the 'poorly' finished knife would have become the dealer's problem....

Nonetheless, from my personal experience, Spyderco does have excellent customer service and they will take care of your situation. However, I call them up and don't wait around for them to answer any email that I may send to them.

Every Kershaw I own came with flawless fit and finish. Those were 1/3 the price. The knife would also cut if the handles were broken in half, your point? I know this knife is a killer deal, but I expect every company to provide a quality product at ANY price point. You've got to be insane if you honestly think the only knife one should expect to be a flawless is a custom. Spyderco should be apologetic they allowed a liner such as the one pictured to go through quality control.

I will be very disappointed if when I finally receive my knife it costed me $5 extra, a trip to the post office, and 2-3 weeks (maybe more..) of my patience all just to get the knife I originally expected and paid for. I feel entitled to something in return for this annoying situation. Call me what you will.

I am just happy that spyderco is a great American company willing to stand behind their product and do anything within reason to make things right for the customer. Most companies in this day and age would have told you to get lost. There is a lot of overhead associated with providing customer service at this level. You should be thanking spyderco for making the decision to put the customer first instead of the almighty dollar.

The fact you feel entitled to something for free and have voiced your displeasure in a public forum makes it seem like you are trying to work/scam something out of spyderco. You should have worked with the dealer you purchased the knife through to come to a satisfactory resolution for both parties.

I hope spyderco customer service rarely has to deal with a customer like you!

I am just happy that spyderco is a great American company willing to stand behind their product and do anything within reason to make things right for the customer. Most companies in this day and age would have told you to get lost. There is a lot of overhead associated with providing customer service at this level. You should be thanking spyderco for making the decision to put the customer first instead of the almighty dollar.

The fact you feel entitled to something for free and have voiced your displeasure in a public forum makes it seem like you are trying to work/scam something out of spyderco. You should have worked with the dealer you purchased the knife through to come to a satisfactory resolution for both parties.

I hope spyderco customer service rarely has to deal with a customer like you!

Cute!

I'm not looking too far into it, I'm merely observing your statments and basing my comments on that alone. It's not a matter of "fault", the dealer sold a knife that was below your expectations. They would have replaced it had you gone through that option and your problem would have been solved within 4-5 business days. But the long, drawn out & dramatic road was chosen for whatever reason. It's far from being the best way to handle it.

As to why they might have not "snapped to" upon your demands, it's the time of year for the largest knife show in the US. Blade show takes a lot of planning and preparation, Spyderco is not a mega company with 100s of employees cranking out knives 24/7. You have heard of Blade Show right?

These types of threads are a rarity in these parts, and for good reason. Just chill out man, everything's gonna be alright.

As they say, **it happens. When a company turns out this many of an item, there are bound to be a few mistakes made, PERIOD. You sent it in, now let them fix it and send it back to you. You are being whiney and a more than a bit unreasonable. When you get your knife back I'm sure all will be well. You should just be glad they'll fix it up for you. If the $5 you spent to ship it is really *that* big of a deal for you, should you really be spending $100 on a knife? You've already said you have other knives, so I'm sure you will be fine without it for a little while. Expecting a freebie of any sort over this is just over the top selfish.

What you really should have done in the first place before posting here was call Spyderco and get it fixed (or alternately, contacted the dealer for a replacement). Then, once you got it back you could have come on here and told us how well they took care of you. Instead, you came off in your first posts as a sniveling newbie doing nothing but complaining, and you're not making any friends like that. :thumbdn: The members who've been around here at BF for awhile are really getting tired of this kind of behavior, and it will not be rewarded (quite the opposite in fact, as you've seen here).

... I feel entitled to something in return for this annoying situation. Call me what you will.

Ahhhh, NOW I see the real problem... :rolleyes: This speaks volumes to what you have posted up till now. Also, now that you've asked people to call you what you should be called, I hope you have your Nomex suit on!!! :foot:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back