SODBUSTERS... bust 'em out, work 'em hard and show 'em off

01I343E.jpg

I had to pick one up when I was up there.
y4GFY6N.jpg

I mean you were there... you had to pick one up. I would've done the same. The top one looks almost burgundy in this photo. But I suspect Natural Canvas with a fair amount of use??

Sorry to hear that Jim. These are some of my Case Sod Buster and Sod Buster Jr. knives. The top three in the middle are Sod Buster knives while the rest of them are Sod Buster Jr. knives. I've yet to run across a Case Sod Buster or Sod Buster Jr. that has blade rap. Maybe I've just been lucky but I've found that regardless of manufacture, a couple/three sharpenings takes care of it.

View attachment 1573625

None of these has blade rap either. Give the Case Sod Buster Jr. knives another chance. I think you'll be glad you did.

View attachment 1573630

Oh. It never hurts to slow walk a knife blade closed - rap or no rap.
I’m with Ed, I’ve never had one with blade rap, some blade play on a few, but no rap. Ed, every time I see your collection I’m reminded...I need or Delrin! 😉👍
View attachment 1573974
ED and Todd, those are impressive groups of Case SBJrs you gentlemen have put together! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

That is the splice that connects the ends of a conveyor belt, creating a loop. After the nuts are torqued down you break off the threads and you have a low profile splice.
Those red 71's look great, and thats a cool pic of yours. Being originally from the coalfields of Virginia allot of my family are miners. The most commonly issued knife "back in the day" for belt repair was a Klien hawkbill. I was curious about what you use to cut the belt? Thanks

Those red 71's look great, and thats a cool pic of yours. Being originally from the coalfields of Virginia allot of my family are miners. The most commonly issued knife "back in the day" for belt repair was a Klien hawkbill. I was curious about what you use to cut the belt? Thanks
We use a retractable razor knife, I think I’m going to get a fixed one because cutting belt takes grip and I always push the button.
Back in the day they used to splice belt by cutting each end into thin strips and then they would weave them together!
Now I’m curious if a a hawkbill would work well. I know one of the electricians was using one recently, I think it was a Klein.

We use a retractable razor knife, I think I’m going to get a fixed one because cutting belt takes grip and I always push the button.
Back in the day they used to splice belt by cutting each end into thin strips and then they would weave them together!
Now I’m curious if a a hawkbill would work well. I know one of the electricians was using one recently, I think it was a Klein.
I would get an opinel 6/8 and cut the blade off. That's what I use for a box cutter.

Back