1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spear-Carriers!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Will Power, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    :thumbsup::D Thanks Will!

Will Power likes this.
  2. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Two spears to "rule" them all. :rolleyes:
    Marbles Workman trapper:
    [​IMG]

Marbles Handymans Helper II:
    [​IMG]

- GT

3. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    [​IMG]

This thread in part inspired me to write a Knife Thoughts article on blade shapes, so here's my GEC USER spear points. I've got some RRs, Victorinoxs, and such with spear blades but I thought these looked good together.

Ramrodmb, TFBraden, Jak3 and 12 others like this.
  4. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Old Boiley - I have been carrying this knife for over 7 years now - it holds an edge forever (almost!!)!! Boiley is Back 1.jpg Boiley.jpg
    New acquisition at the Oregon Show, this old Schrade Cut. Co. bowled me over!! Schrade E2.jpg Schrade E3.jpg
    Great thread Will!! 10 pages while my back was turned for a minute!!!:eek:
    :D

5. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Isn't that three spears?

Fodderwing, L.H.S and JohnDF like this.
  6. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Good question, Vince. :thumbsup: Secondary pen blades sure look like little spearpoint blades to me, but I doubt that everyone agrees with me.
    (Having just sent in tax returns on Monday, I'm happy if I'm off by no more than 1 on my calculations. :rolleyes:)

- GT

7. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Victorinox seems to do well with Spear mains.

Electrician
    [​IMG]

8. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    An excellent grouping which very much illustrates the essence of the Spear: its variability and the fact it compliments the frame of the knife.

Still longing for a Barehead Longpull Spear 15 or a 68 White Owl re-run with Spears :cool:

Regards, Will

L.H.S likes this.
  9. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    @waynorth Thank you Charlie and thanks for displaying a very interesting Serp Schrade. A wonderful testament to jigging skill and beautiful long Spear. The blades must sit down low in the frame and I notice a tidy cut-out to access the minor's nick :cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, Will

Cutfinger likes this.
  10. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    92 Talon in Ebony has some of the mystique of older knives, ageing well too-unlike the rest of us :eek:

[​IMG]

Ramrodmb, TFBraden, balor85 and 10 others like this.
  11. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    More about that Spear Schrade in the Oregon Show thread, Will. It's way cool!! Nicely fitted!

Fodderwing and Will Power like this.
  12. MrMike

MrMike

Jan 22, 2006
    Wow! Great knife.

13. JB in LV

JB in LV Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2016
    I do not have a lot of spear mains, but do like these three.

L-R: GEC 77 mineral oil reflecting on blade, Northwoods Indian River Jack, Northwoods Presidential.

59318FFD-922D-4E8D-BB77-1B3CA7D223CD.jpeg

14. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    IMG_2064.jpeg

Ramrodmb, TFBraden, balor85 and 13 others like this.
  15. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

16. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    @flatblackcapo really atmospheric shot there:cool: The Teardrop a big favourite of mine and I really like those American Number/Licence plates, could do with one for my garage:D

flatblackcapo likes this.
  17. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Here a GEC 25 Spear and an early model too 08 or 09. This is one frame I think that doesn't suit the Spear so well, it's too short and stubby, goes well with Drop-Point (rare) or Clip/Sheepfoot

[​IMG]

18. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    IMG_8741.jpeg

19. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    You made me realize something important: the Spear looks very at home on the 25 frame when it doesn't have the EZ-Open notch. In fact, most knives and their blades look better without it;)

Ramrodmb and Fodderwing like this.
  20. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    [​IMG]