Speed checks, "pass it down", proxies, please read.

Naw man, I don't think you follow. I'm not saying the weight of the death of those kittens will be on you. I mean those dead kittens will be on you. She will come to your home and put dead kittens on you. You don't want that. Nobody wants that. So folks need to straighten up and fly right. Or dead kittens.

LMAO! :D Uhh, wait... :eek:

It has been brought to my attention that some of our Friday sales are relatively brisk

Quite the understatement! I was going to say massive understatement but I’m not sure if that’s oxymoronic... or just moronic.
Thanks Nathan for levelling the playing field even further (than the already one per post rule). It’s much appreciated by slowpokes like myself, who are very keen for a UFK!

Naw man, I don't think you follow. I'm not saying the weight of the death of those kittens will be on you. I mean those dead kittens will be on you. She will come to your home and put dead kittens on you. You don't want that. Nobody wants that. So folks need to straighten up and fly right. Or dead kittens.

It’s not like she murders puppies. Now, that would be disturbing.

:)

Thanks

Save the kitties please!!! :eek:
DvrHC9S.jpg

Great post Nathan. Long overdue in my opinion.

I personally have never posted anything in the sale threads unless I was trying to buy because I respect that these threads are your “place of business” and I shouldn’t interfere unless I am conducting business. Win or lose on any given Friday, I am content to try my luck on my own and accept the results. I understand why folks need proxies occasionally, but I feel the process is way overused as a matter of convenience for the buyers and a sense of prideful power for some of the regular proxy posters.

I have held off sharing my opinion on these matters because I accepted the fact that you can run your place of business however you and Jo want. I believe the changes you posted above will go a long way to make the buying process more fun and efficient for everyone involved.

Thanks!

Phil

Phil speaks the truth. I think the time may have come to do away/discourage proxies. When you are proxying you are not deciding who comes first and who comes second, you are deciding who gets a knife and who doesn't. I have been a longtime stalker on the forum and I appreciate the banter and I can match some of the personalities to the names here. This wasnt a problem when everyone knew everyone here. But CPK is growing by leaps and bounds and I think is attracting a whole new crowd of hard users and collectors. The "hang out in the forum " " get to know the people" "ask for a proxy" may work for the collectors but not for the people who want to get a bloody good knife and get on with their lives.
Maybe to be perceived as being fair, it is time to do way with proxies and let the people who want to buy knives fight with the speed of their fingers, their internet connection and the vagaries of the bladeforums server and take away the " who likes whom " factor?
In case anyone thinks it is a case of sour grapes(I do suck majorly on the Friday sales), I have a couple of CPK's on order and a knifenut friend of mine to whom I introduced CPK to is on his third.

Last edited:
Phil speaks the truth. I think the time may have come to do away/discourage proxies. When you are proxying you are not deciding who comes first and who comes second, you are deciding who gets a knife and who doesn't. I have been a longtime stalker on the forum and I appreciate the banter and I can match some of the personalities to the names here. This wasnt a problem when everyone knew everyone here. But CPK is growing by leaps and bounds and I think is attracting a whole new crowd of hard users and collectors. The "hang out in the forum " " get to know the people" "ask for a proxy" may work for the collectors but not for the people who want to get a bloody good knife and get on with their lives.
Maybe to be perceived as being fair, it is time to do way with proxies and let the people who want to buy knives fight with the speed of their fingers, their internet connection and the vagaries of the bladeforums server and take away the " who likes whom " factor?
In case anyone thinks it is a case of sour grapes(I do suck majorly on the Friday sales), I have a couple of CPK's on order and a knifenut friend of mine to whom I introduced CPK to is on his third.
I can agree with a lot of what you are saying. However, the proxy system does allow people who can’t physically make the sale a chance at a knife. I have only ever proxied for people who can’t be there at sale time. The fact that CPK can sell 40 knives in under a minute is the main reason for the server errors and the people who show up once or twice and end up getting frustrated. I don’t think that getting rid of the speed checks will change that much.

My understanding of"Blade Forum"rules was that "Buyers" with implicit intentions of purchasing post in the sales thread and any other commentary in a sales thread was considered an infraction of the rules. For those unfortunate enough to miss the sale time there is always the Exchange.

First of all, and as one of the people that contributed to all of this, my apologies to the CPK team and especially to @Jo the Machinist.
Now, with the preliminaries out of the way:
Maybe I’m cranky because it’s one of my rare days off and it’s raining today, or because I’m going to have to schlepp myself out of bed an hour earlier for work come tomorrow.
Anyway, in reading though the threads on this subject, I feel there are very legitimate issues that deserved being addressed intermixed with some plain old whining from some that I can only call crybabies - probably sitting in their mothers’ basements - that will scream bloody murder anytime things don’t go exactly their way and are likely to be disgruntled or easily discouraged even after these changes...
Was this helpful? Probably not. Dunno. It’s raining. Sucks.

My understanding of"Blade Forum"rules was that "Buyers" with implicit intentions of purchasing post in the sales thread and any other commentary in a sales thread was considered an infraction of the rules. For those unfortunate enough to miss the sale time there is always the Exchange.

The knifemaker exchange is a little more relaxed and you can add feedback.

1. Do not post in a person's thread unless you have an implicit interest in buying the item. Posts like, "Nice knife!", "Why is the price so high/low?", "I wish I had funds" are not allowed. This means absolutely no commentary or feedback in someone's sales thread. Seriously, if you stomp on someone's ad, your account can and will be locked. The only exception to this is in the Knife Makers Market areas (if the maker/craftsman requests and welcomes feedback).Save questions and offers for email rather than cluttering the thread.

I understand the sentiment. However, what do you say to the guy who works in the field, say, in construction or forestry, who uses his knives hard on a daily basis and more closely resembles the type of person that Nathan & Co actually designed their products for, and who is unable to participate in the Friday sales?
To me, at least, this is where the proxy system really comes into its own.

ETA: in some ways, this forum is self-regulating because no one wants to get on Nathan‘s or the other members‘ bad side. For this reason, for example, several members that are eager to get a second UKF have already decided to hold off until things calm down - even without chiding from Nathan or others. In my experience, most of the folks here are pretty fair minded.

Last edited:
The knifemaker exchange is a little more relaxed and you can add feedback.

1. Do not post in a person's thread unless you have an implicit interest in buying the item. Posts like, "Nice knife!", "Why is the price so high/low?", "I wish I had funds" are not allowed. This means absolutely no commentary or feedback in someone's sales thread. Seriously, if you stomp on someone's ad, your account can and will be locked. The only exception to this is in the Knife Makers Market areas (if the maker/craftsman requests and welcomes feedback).Save questions and offers for email rather than cluttering the thread.
This is the exact quote....However most of the Banter is not FEEDBACK to the Maker it's mostly Snarky remarks or congratulations among the avid followers of Nathan's Creations...Or Just checking speed pass it down...That is not feedback and Nathan is gracious enough to host his own Forum where the Witty Bantering should be taking place...Seems like there is a wee bit of Disrespect To Nathans Sales thread anytime a post other than a legitimate Purchase post is made...I respect Nathan for his work and certainly will never attempt to clutter his Sales threads.

By the way Phill how many actual posts were Feedback to Nathan on the Actual Knife for Sale???

This is the exact quote....However most of the Banter is not FEEDBACK to the Maker it's mostly Snarky remarks or congratulations among the avid followers of Nathan's Creations...Or Just checking speed pass it down...That is not feedback and Nathan is gracious enough to host his own Forum where the Witty Bantering should be taking place...Seems like there is a wee bit of Disrespect To Nathans Sales thread anytime a post other than a legitimate Purchase post is made...I respect Nathan for his work and certainly will never attempt to clutter his Sales threads.

By the way Phill how many actual posts were Feedback to Nathan on the Actual Knife for Sale???
Given the speed of the sales and the time limit imposed before being able to post a second time in the thread, the congratulatory and other remarks generally occur long after the dust has settled and the available spots are spoken for. In this way, they rarely - never? - contribute to cluttering the actual sales portion of the thread. Could be wrong and maybe a change is in order, but that’s my impression.

ETA: speed tests are the notable exception. It’s probably fair to disallow these.

Ya I don’t disagree with what your saying.

Also I agree with post # 1 in this thread.

Oyster Oyster and Cap’n Smudge Cap’n Smudge , fair points from both of you. Personally it does not affect me, but remember I only spoke about the perception of fairness. To a group of outsiders, a group of insiders choosing winners and losers will not sit well. Just curious, is proxying prevalent across other forums?

Given the speed of the sales and the time limit imposed before being able to post a second time in the thread, the congratulatory and other remarks generally occur long after the dust has settled and the available spots are spoken for. In this way, they rarely - never? - contribute to cluttering the actual sales portion of the thread. Could be wrong and maybe a change is in order, but that’s my impression.

ETA: speed tests are the notable exception. It’s probably fair to disallow these.
By my count the First page had 11 non buyers...I recognize the Usual Suspects and it's been going on for some time so if a Business is about just Having Fun then it's all good. If I just want to purchase a Knife in a Sales Thread I'm competing with Non-Buyers showing off their Speed Connection skills and NOT paying to keep the business open.

Back