Spyderco Maxamet

I didn't notice any mention of a micro bevel. If you're not using one, is that your usual technique or is it just what you're trying with Maxamet? By the way, thanks for all the information.

No micro bevel, just a straight 32 inclusive bevel down to the apex. :)

Normally, I'd sharpen this way and micro bevel with a sharpmaker when dulling starts. With this blade, I'm doing no touch ups at all.

I forgot to add that to my post above. I noticed the same thing about the burr. It just doesn't like to raise a burr at all. Even at 200 grit no burr appeared when I apexed the edge.

And I agree, not having to worry about chasing the burr down does make the sharpening a nice experience. Although, the flip side of that is you have to be careful and visually check when you've apexed. Otherwise if you are expecting a burr you might just grind away a lot of material before you realize what's going on.

Overall, a pleasure to sharpen though.

Cutting so far:

-Broke down small USPS box after a package came in.
- Shredded" a stack of printer paper 4 sheets deep. About 20 cuts into that stack. Didn't need to be shredded, just a habit.
-Cut off excess to a "sit means sit" electric dog collar. The collar material was VERY tough. Some sort of fiber loaded rubber.

After all this, it no longer whittles hair, but that's to be expected. Other than that change, I can't tell a difference. Still extremely aggressive and still slicing phone book paper like it's not even there.

Will report back in a week or so with the rest of the cutting I've done and the edge condition. There will be no touch ups at all.

I have found it resists bur formation too and am glad others are reporting the same. For me that make achieving a high level of sharpness much easier.

RoKdWQg.jpg

cBPq32H.jpg

Had this for a day and it helped with dinner today. This steel has an interesting “feel”, it is very aggressive on meat and fat. It’s started to develop a bit of patina after contact with some blood. Used it to open up some bags of mussels and the salt water had no ill effect.

I’m liking this native more than any other native I’ve owned.

Yes stonewashed. It’s my favorite Native blade finish. The edge on the hole are not sharp and the blade feels very smooth.

I've had the opposite experience as the above and others. I have had no chipping, rolls, dents, or dings. I've sharpened mine a few times already and mainly keep it up by stropping it. I have seen others have chipping in their edge, but to leave ribbons of steel on your sharpening stone? Sounds like a lemon to me. I have cut rope, zip ties and cardboard with mine, but I never put any lateral stress on my edges either. I guess as stated before, YMMV.

That video means nothing to me. What a blowhard.

He gives his opinion at the end and then says that anybody who doesn't agree with him hasn't actually used their knife and is just justifying their purchase. So he is right and anybody who disagrees with him is a liar? He sounds like an open minded and objective fellow to me. :rolleyes:

That video means nothing to me. What a blowhard.

He gives his opinion at the end and then says that anybody who doesn't agree with him hasn't actually used their knife and is just justifying their purchase. So he is right and anybody who disagrees with him is a liar? He sounds like an open minded and objective fellow to me. :rolleyes:

Agreed.

5451F50A-17D6-4D3D-BE7C-AE30ADDEECC2.jpeg
AA1261F1-FA1C-4A29-AC98-B3F025C4615A.jpeg

Oh I fully agree that he is of the wrong opinion of maxamet but for those with issues he seems to have a crutch to get it to work. Tho the maxamet shouldn't do that. So it's more than likely a heat treatment issue.

Oh I fully agree that he is of the wrong opinion of maxamet but for those with issues he seems to have a crutch to get it to work. Tho the maxamet shouldn't do that. So it's more than likely a heat treatment issue.

I wondered if it was the heat treat too. He seemed to think not since he had a sample of (how many?) knives across time from multiple customers of his sharpening business. So as others mentioned in this thread, I also wonder if it's the pressure he's applying.

To be fair, he has objective experience here. The question is what is the root cause, and the conclusion sounds like it is off base. It doesn't help him come across as objective when there's a boat load of excellent questions in the comments section of the video (including Cliff Stamp), none of which have been answered. The only reply I see from him is a snarky response to someone with positive experience.

My observation...he is showing a lot of bias these days, which makes me less interested in his videos. Ironically, he's a huge supporter of Bark River, a company with lots of feedback and controversy here about chipping in factory edges. That one baffles me.

I watched the video and wasn’t impressed. This may be a sharpening issue and not one related to the steel. I have sharpened my native but never past 600 grit. I also use dmt diamond stones.

I believe that Maxamet is best with a very toothy edge and that is just not attractive to some people. Some knives are better off without the high mirror polish.

Also as a side note. If Spyderco ever decides to produce a fully serrated knife made out of Maxamet I will buy it on the spot as soon as it’s released. And I hate serrated edges.

Back