Spyderco Rubicon Goodness

Blade steel is just one side of the triangle when it comes to cutting performance. The blade thickness is not unreasonably thick (ahem Southard) and so long as the edge bevel is small and the steel is thin behind the edge (and Taichung is really good at that) It'll perform better than you'd ever need with s30v.

These blade steel wars are more novelty than practicality. In any case, CF is a mother to cut and machine, no to mention it's expensive. Everyone seemed to dislike Spyderco's peel-ply CF (personally I prefer it) so at least they're listening to their customers and going for the real thing now. So that's where your money is going I'd expect.

S35Vn is easier to grind s30v. It's not an upgrade.

It would probably be helpful not to view ANY steel as an "upgrade," considering what we have commonly available to us at this point. Depending on many factors, S110V might be a worse choice than S30V, just to throw out an example. I know this comment will unleash the pitchfork wielding townsfolk, but being newer, more expensive, or higher carbide does not make any steel a better choice for a given application. The composition of steel imparts a number of properties that will give it advantages and disadvantages over others of different composition.

I have been guilty of the above value judgement in the past ("steel A is BETTER than steel B"), but I've been trying to realign my thinking on the matter so that I can more objectively judge the performance of the steels I have access to.

From what I've read, the differences between s30v and s35vn are negligible. Isn't s110v older than either?

From what I've read, the differences between s30v and s35vn are negligible. Isn't s110v older than either?

S110v is much older. I believe it's biggest downfall is that at high hardness, it's very chippy and if you back the hardness down for toughness, it's not much better than S30v.

Hmm, can't wait to fondle one down at BladeHQ.... A few months after the release date when they are done with preorders. :-(

It's sweet looking- I usually like the ffg on my spydercos but this blade grind looks awesome!

It may be pricey but I think the CF is quite expensive. It's a home run for the flipper action, the gorgeous CF and the blade grind. S30V is just fine. I can see replacing the orange with moonglow in the backspacer and pivot area.

S110v is much older. I believe it's biggest downfall is that at high hardness, it's very chippy and if you back the hardness down for toughness, it's not much better than S30v.
\\

Couldn't help but comment on this since Spyderco has since nailed the hardness on the S110V Manix LW. Great edge holding, and great edge stability even at very thin grinds. Let's just say it is way better than S30V, in all categories.

I like the size, I like the look of it, I like S30V just fine, and, I will buy it.

First Spydie I've wanted in a while. It still has the obsolete hole, but at least its up to date with the flipper, and it doesn't look like the Spydercos of the last twenty years.

The pocket clip is definitely an eyesore though.

All you guys that are whining about a $280 folder with S30V should DEFINATLEY not buy one of these. No sireee. Stay far away from this model.

At least until I get mine.

You really don't need a hole or thumb stud or thumb disc if your opening mechanism is a flipper. Makes for a cleaner design too.

The thumb hole is Spyderco's trademark. Even their fixed blades have a decorative mini thumbhole.

Last edited:
Back