Spyderco Siren Lock Issue

I haven't heard anything yet. I'll look into it.

Looks like they've got a fix. Will make one more proto and if all goes well, production should resume in about 3 weeks after these the latest proto checks out.

sal

Last edited:
I haven't heard anything yet. I'll look into it.

Looks like they've got a fix. Will make one more proto and if all goes well, production should resume in about 3 weeks after these the latest proto checks out.

sal
Great! Thanks.

I know it might be too early in the process to tell but I'll be curious to hear how those of us who already have the knife should go about getting ours fixed.

Curious if a stronger spring would work to fix this. I don't see it as a huge safety issue, but it's definitely not confidence inspiring when I use it for yard work and the lock bar pushes back.

I tried to get it to fail and have the blade close, but wasn't able. But I have trust issues and would like a fix.

The siren was gonna be my go-to folding camp/water/fish knife, I'd like it to be 100%.

Even if it's a 1 for 1 exchange I'd take it, although mine's a little scratched up lol.

There's been a handful of "non-issue" issues on Spyderco knives over the years, and they've never offered to exchange the original for the "cqi" edition to my recollection.

The best option is probably to sell it now before the cqi version comes out and tanks its value, then buy the fixed version whenever it's finally available.

Curious if a stronger spring would work to fix this. I don't see it as a huge safety issue, but it's definitely not confidence inspiring when I use it for yard work and the lock bar pushes back.

I tried to get it to fail and have the blade close, but wasn't able. But I have trust issues and would like a fix.

The siren was gonna be my go-to folding camp/water/fish knife, I'd like it to be 100%.

Even if it's a 1 for 1 exchange I'd take it, although mine's a little scratched up lol.

Google is telling me that the Spyderco Siren has a back lock. What "lock bar" are you referring to?

Note: I'm not an expert. Just trying to figure this out. :)

It is unfortunate to see this happening to any model that is already released to the market. Based on what I read and the number of reports, it is not a non-issue; it is obviously an issue. I don't know if the knife industry does "recalls" like the automobile industry, though that would be a reasonable solution I could think of.

I could see how it would be frustrating and maybe even worrisome if I carried it as an edc knife. As it is, I use the Siren solely as a fishing knife and I can't think of a single situation where the backlock shifting could cause an issue. I've decided it's a non-factor for me personally.

The knife unintentionally unlocks during use. To me, this is absolutely a flaw that should be addressed through warranty for those that want. I get that it is not a safety issue but still....the knife unlocks unintentionally during use!

The knife unintentionally unlocks during use. To me, this is absolutely a flaw that should be addressed through warranty for those that want. I get that it is not a safety issue but still....the knife unlocks unintentionally during use!
It "over locks", as in goes past the stopping point of lockup, but doesn't "unlock" upon returning after releasing the pressure that causes it to "over lock".

It's called "pop up" and our lock-backs from Japan had some "Pop up" on most of the models for at least the first 10 years. Never heard of one accidentally un-locking.

sal
If I understand you correctly, are you saying that the issue with some Sirens (I cannot replicate the OP's issue with my Siren for whatever reason) has been present in other Spydercos before now as well?

Hate to mention this, but my Siren did unlock recently. I was cutting some zip ties a few days ago, and when I looked down the blade was dangling. Another high cutting pressure near the tip situation, but other than that I don’t know what may have caused it.

I haven’t tried to replicate it since. First time this has ever happened to me with any knife. I’m not a user who has had an issue with my grip depressing the lock, but hard to say if that did or didn’t happen as I was just using the knife as I normally would.

It "over locks", as in goes past the stopping point of lockup, but doesn't "unlock" upon returning after releasing the pressure that causes it to "over lock".
Sorry, but in my book if the lock comes undone unintentionally, even if it pops back into place, that is unlocking.

At the end of the day, if this is how the knife is designed to operate, fine, spyderco should just say that. If not, fix the knives that have this issue. I'll wait a little longer for a fix before writing the model off, but I'm not waiting forever. My collection has whittled down to a select few and I don't have room in the stable for a knife that is defective out of the box. Too bad as Surfingringo Surfingringo 's design is fantastic and the materials are prefect. Just need the execution to match.

Hate to mention this, but my Siren did unlock recently. I was cutting some zip ties a few days ago, and when I looked down the blade was dangling. Another high cutting pressure near the tip situation, but other than that I don’t know what may have caused it.

I haven’t tried to replicate it since. First time this has ever happened to me with any knife. I’m not a user who has had an issue with my grip depressing the lock, but hard to say if that did or didn’t happen as I was just using the knife as I normally would.
Seems like with a given hand position while gripping the knife as it unintentionally unlocks during use, the lock could fail to "pop" back down.

This is why I don't trust the knife for anything but light use at this point.

We need a fix.

This thread has been going on for months. Spyderco needs to let us know if this is going to get fixed or not. I own numerous back locks. No pop up issue on any of them. If this was a prior issue, with Japanese knives…Spyderco should have solved the problem by now. I’m not angry, just tell the customer where they stand.

Last edited:
Back