Spyderco Siren Lock Issue

My new in the box Siren also has this problem. I purchased mine when they were first released, and it has been sitting on a shelf in the box since this problem was found.

I love the shape of the handle and blade, love the light weight, love the rust proof steel, but I have never owned a locking knife that had this tip pressure=unlocking problem. I don’t see how this is a safe situation, and I do not plan to use my brand new in the box Siren unless it can be repaired.

I am hopeful Spyderco will repair or replace these knives. I still see new Siren’s for sale, so they are still making it to the retail channel.

Reactions: 353
My new in the box Siren also has this problem. I purchased mine when they were first released, and it has been sitting on a shelf in the box since this problem was found.

I love the shape of the handle and blade, love the light weight, love the rust proof steel, but I have never owned a locking knife that had this tip pressure=unlocking problem. I don’t see how this is a safe situation, and I do not plan to use my brand new in the box Siren unless it can be repaired.

I am hopeful Spyderco will repair or replace these knives. I still see new Siren’s for sale, so they are still making it to the retail channel.

I'm glad I didn't jump on this model, it looks really nice and I wanted one. But with the lock failing like this it's more or less worthless IMO.

And I think it's pretty questionable to continue selling them knowing there is a potential safety issue here...

The right thing to do, as you said, would be to take all knives back. Fix them or replace them with free shipping both ways.

I'm glad I didn't jump on this model, it looks really nice and I wanted one. But with the lock failing like this it's more or less worthless IMO.

And I think it's pretty questionable to continue selling them knowing there is a potential safety issue here...

The right thing to do, as you said, would be to take all knives back. Fix them or replace them with free shipping both ways.

From reading this thread I'm not sure its a safety issue or a confidence issue (just as bad) but I do hope its resolved.

I was actually looking to purchase this knife until I did some research and saw this thread.

This is absolutely an issue and it's a terrible business practice to not recall this knife and make it well-known to the public about this knife's flaw.

Unsuspecting buyers should not need to search Spyderco forums or this forum to be aware of a faulty locking mechanism of a knife.

Hi C_L_I_C_K,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for sharing your thoughts.

We've been working on the issue since we found out about it. It's not common to all pcs. We have a fix and we're working on it now. We're checking inventory to see how many have the issue. Then we'll begin working with customers to solve those with a problem.

sal

Glad to see it is being addressed.

I really enjoy my Spyderco knives, and this model is one that once buttoned up will be one I purchase. The design and steel choice are perfect for an EDC that will accompany me on fishing and camp trips.

For now, I’m still getting great performance from my H1 Pacific Salt as a primary fishing and surf pocket knife.

The Siren takes this performance even further into a wider array of tasks.

Last edited:
We've been working on the issue since we found out about it. It's not common to all pcs. We have a fix and we're working on it now. We're checking inventory to see how many have the issue. Then we'll begin working with customers to solve those with a problem.

sal
It is time for my monthly check-in on the siren issue. Where are we at?

Over the last year my knife collection has been reduced greatly. The Siren still holds a spot but with no use because of the lock issue, I'm not sure how much longer I can justify keeping it in the stable. Really looking for some news on a fix. Hopefully a time line for customer warranty repairs.

Last edited:
I have to admit I like the Siren ;) reminds me of the old Goddard. The one issue i have with it is the back spring which could be stronger. To avoid blade-play i did add a boye dent, works fine now...

4bkVOzB.jpg

5TbwYfE.jpg

Small belt grinder 180 grit, and some 600 sand paper by hand. You have to be careful not to remove too much. Best to use a pen to mark the max removeable amount without disabling the lock.

Small belt grinder 180 grit, and some 600 sand paper by hand. You have to be careful not to remove too much. Best to use a pen to mark the max removeable amount without disabling the lock.
Thanks BeerButtChicken! I need to get a belt sander. I have some blades I’d like to reshape and this would be a good thing to add to my Siren.

Spyderco has had a great reputation for quality and service, but I am starting to become concerned that this Siren lock slip defect is not being resolved. It has been nearly a year since these knives came out, and no solution or repair from Spyderco.

I have suspended buying Spyderco products until I get a satisfactory resolution/repair for my Siren. I am agreeable to a repair, replacement or a refund, but this never ending wait seems unfair and out of character for Spyderco.

Hi Elgatodeacero,

I'm sorry for your disappointment and I apologize for out time line on this. We have made some major changes in the management in our factory as the "fix" for the Siren was not satisfactory. Eric has now taken over management in the factory to sort out a number of issues, of which the Siren lock was one.

I'm sorry that you have suspended buying or products, though I would request that you be patient. Considering the hundreds of models that we make and the millions of pieces we have in the field for the past 45 years, that you not place all of your judgement of Spyderco on one model for which we are having problems.

sal

Back