Tacticlol Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, settle down there. Regardless of how much you like this guy's work those last couple of fixed blades of his posted, are absolutely ridiculous. Also, while I don't currently own a PM2 or Sebenza they certainly aren't all tactical fancy. No spikes, no uber-fancy serrations, gut hooks, zombie killing features etc. and so on. They do not contain the elements standard to this thread. Don't get your panties all in a bunch, this thread is supposed to be for laughs.

I'm actually not a fan of most of his designs, though I kind of enjoy the "counter terrorism knife"... He is largely a fantasy/decorative knife maker, and that does hurt the look of many of his "use-intended" designs: What I pointed out was that his work was not by the "Shadow Ops" company, which is what SilentJohn was implying by saying "they" and not mentioning his name...

Also, while the serrations he does often look decorative (SilentJohn mentions them as looking like they are done by a drunk), they are actually designed to work, being specifically designed to break in a way that preserves their cutting ability when the material is too hard... It is a specialty of his, and the performance they provide can't be replicated by machine cut serrations like the stuff Spyderco does... Just because they look "tacticool" doesn't mean they are low quality trash that doesn't work.

The "technical" sheaths are not my idea of a sheath (neither are his leather ones), but the "technical" sheaths are available for all his tactical knives, and you can bet there is a reason for every feature, as most of the features are there by user input...

As for the Spyderco Paramilitary II, the blade to handle ratio is absurd, and most of its users would be better off with a good box cutter... Or at least the Spyderco Military for that matter (at least that offers something the box cutter doesn't)... I won't even go into the Sebenza, as with lock wear/failure from hand pressure, rolling edges and crummy edge-holding, that is almost like kicking someone while they are down...

Gaston

Last edited:
"They"?!? Whose "They"? Those are knives by custom maker Jay Fisher, widely recognized by all those "in the know" as the best custom combat knife maker in the world... He does a lot of fantasy blades, especially highly decorated handles, and some of that styling rubs off on some of the "users" he makes, but his users are made to function at the highest level, and are the best rated by the services using them, most of the others dreaming they could afford them...

As for the Spyderco Paramilitary 2, it's basically all handle, and about as overrated as the Sebenza. They're both just too plain to be easily made fun of, but for the hype they generate they would deserve it...

Gaston

That second blade just screams cutting performance.

Browsed my pics gallery and I think I have never shared this one:

EL29Arp.jpg

edit: whoops, kinda meant this for the meme thread :D

Close. Very close, but the American Army Knife needs a tiger stripe blade and a wave feature for super quick deployment. Also needs a lock bar stabilizer and a braided lanyard with a skull bead so it can look badass tacticool.

I'm actually not a fan of most of his designs, though I kind of enjoy the "counter terrorism knife"... He is largely a fantasy/decorative knife maker, and that does hurt the look of many of his "use-intended" designs: What I pointed out was that his work was not by the "Shadow Ops" company, which is what SilentJohn was implying by saying "they" and not mentioning his name...

Also, while the serrations he does often look decorative (SilentJohn mentions them as looking like they are done by a drunk), they are actually designed to work, being specifically designed to break in a way that preserves their cutting ability when the material is too hard... It is a specialty of his, and the performance they provide can't be replicated by machine cut serrations like the stuff Spyderco does... Just because they look "tacticool" doesn't mean they are low quality trash that doesn't work.

The "technical" sheaths are not my idea of a sheath (neither are his leather ones), but the "technical" sheaths are available for all his tactical knives, and you can bet there is a reason for every feature, as most of the features are there by user input...

As for the Spyderco Paramilitary II, the blade to handle ratio is absurd, and most of its users would be better off with a good box cutter... Or at least the Spyderco Military for that matter (at least that offers something the box cutter doesn't)... I won't even go into the Sebenza, as with lock wear/failure from hand pressure, rolling edges and crummy edge-holding, that is almost like kicking someone while they are down...

Gaston

Good Lord!

At 4:00am you're standing on your soapbox about Jay Fisher's (goofy) knives? Then go on about the Sebenza lock strength thread???

You need to sleep-in a little later, have your coffee a little earlier, or reprioritize what you find important at 4:00am:D

Wow, I think someone has missed the point of the tacticlol thread.

Gaston444, just because you like Jay Fisher's stuff does not make it not silly, and just because you don't like two of the most popular and widely lauded knives I know of doesn't make a sebenza or pm tacticlol.

This is supposed to be a fun thread

Wow, settle down there. Regardless of how much you like this guy's work those last couple of fixed blades of his posted, are absolutely ridiculous. Also, while I don't currently own a PM2 or Sebenza they certainly aren't all tactical fancy. No spikes, no uber-fancy serrations, gut hooks, zombie killing features etc. and so on. They do not contain the elements standard to this thread. Don't get your panties all in a bunch, this thread is supposed to be for laughs.

Yeah, Jay Fisher definitely has some tacticool submissions.
FOTritonRedRiverJasper1.jpg

I think this one is a submission to see how complicated we can make a kydex sheath.
63b6882c2cd9bc68604decd46d94fb02.jpg

FOArcturusRedBlueG1014.jpg

seriously though, here is a nice one.
gfk02.jpg
I dig the Karambit actually. If the knife blade was made at more of an angle, and with a different handle material and a wrist lanyard hole was drilled it would be the perfect tactical knife. Very deadly.

989e6df30b1ca9a95eb1753fe07f967d.jpg

Personally the Busse serrations make me laugh. They just don't look effective. And besides that serrations on a quarter inch thick blade? I don't see that helping much

As for the Spyderco Paramilitary II, the blade to handle ratio is absurd, and most of its users would be better off with a good box cutter...
Gaston

Oh Gaston, I can always count on you to say the most ridiculous things. :D

its so you can stab the mag into the wall for a fast re-load later! Can't wait to see Keanu Reeves do it in Jon Wick 2. Or once its empty, maybe you use it as a throwing knife?

Also did someone just say something about serrations designed to break? really? Anywho. I'm more interested in a sheath designed to hold two flashlights, one of which is a mini-mag solitare, and is held with twisted wire. Was it done in the 90s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back