1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Off Topic The Hand Tool thread

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by phantomknives, Jul 19, 2018.

1. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    I guess this counts as a hand tool.

I found this pry bar at my dad's place. its 28" long exactly and 7/8" across the flats. I believe it is what's called an alignment bar or alignment pry bar.

It is stamped P T C does anyone know what that might stand for? I'm assuming P_____ Tool Company, but maybe not. could be anything, but I'll throw it out there in case anyone has an idea. Pretty neat old bar. looks kind of old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    yes it is, it wraps all the way around and all that's legible is
    PATENTED
    PER___CT__HANDLE SCREWDRIVER

3. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    Today I had a friend tell me he found an old tool while he was cleaning up his shop and wanted to know if I was interested. "Of course!", I said, so he went and got it and it turns out it's an Irwin perfect handle screwdriver. Right on time for this thread, in my opinion. So far I think this is the 4th or 5th perfect handle screwdriver in my collection.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DOGPOUND77, Fmont, Miller '72 and 9 others like this.
  4. Miller '72

Miller '72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2017
    I have slowly been trying to pick up and reorganize my workspace and I came across these tucked in a steel box from my last haul...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    When I found these all I could think of...what threads did these make and for what in house specially guarded project might it have been?
    Jet engines, machinery to repair machinary, to the mundane, a machinist or engineer that wanted to make his own set, to who knows what ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:cool:

6. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    nah that font's too old for jets, those are for radials, the best type of engine

Yankee Josh, A17, Fmont and 1 other person like this.
  7. Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    I believe jet engines have been around since the late 1940's in varying stages of development and success. Certainly going into the 1950's.

Not sure of the font of the print but the abbreviation of CT, CONN, was used while I was still in school and jets are older than me...by a little lol!

8. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I bought this saw about a week ago. And i am truly enamored with it. It's hands down my finest hand saw. Cross cut no53 Atkins. Here's a photo for comparison(not that you guys need it);[​IMG]
    You all probably know all about this but I'm just learning about "damaskeening" or in this case a "damaskeened" finish. A few more pics;[​IMG] [​IMG]
    On the back side of the saw you can still see some of the original finish; [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And here is the patent; [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And just a couple of snippets I found.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Have you guys run into this before? Are these saws very common? I'm very happy to have one! Cleaning the medallion is the only cleaning I'll do. I know I shouldn't have even done that! Anyway it's a beautiful saw in my opinion and I wanted to share it with you all and see what your thoughts are on it. Thanks!

9. Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    That is a great saw. I come by and across very few Atkins saws, any of their saws. I probably have well over 100 rip, crosscut panel saws...less than 5 are Atkins I would guess.
    Disston is more than common in my southern new England neck of the woods...very few Simonds as well...which is odd being so close to Fitchburg Ma.
    ...But Disston controlled the saw market like Coke or McDonalds does today. Way out front of the pack.

A17, Trailsawyer and Yankee Josh like this.
  10. Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    The William Schollhorn Company of New Haven Connecticut

William Bernard, inventor of the parallel-jaw pliers in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Sold his idea to W. Schollhorn Co. The company was incorporated in 1891 and remained active through the first part of the 20th century, eventually acquired by the Sargent Company in the
    1940's.

No. 102-8 Bernard

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Square_peg, A17, Trailsawyer and 3 others like this.
  11. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    EA72D560-4AA7-4134-A3CB-1E01DDA4B339.jpeg Campagnolo complete tool kit for bicycle frame building.

junkenstien, rjdankert, A17 and 5 others like this.
  12. Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    That's the pinnacle right there! What year range is that set?

Just wicked awesome

A17, Yankee Josh and ithinkverydeeply like this.
  13. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    I got this around 1985. The taps and dies are English/USA standard. They also made French and Italian. I have never made a frame from scratch. I just used this to clean up threads, reface surfaces, and align fork ends and dropouts.

Square_peg, A17, Trailsawyer and 3 others like this.
  14. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    It’s crazy how they roll marked them. You would think the bigger ones would be a straight rectangle but I have seen some roll marked like that and only one that was just a straight rectangle.

15. Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Great time (1985) for cycling...I was just starting as a bike mechanic's apprentice about that time.
    I greatly appreciate you sharing that here.
    I have not built a frame either, only repair, resurface and realign, and rebuilds.

Thanks again. Great set...Campy, '85...truely the pinnacle of the day.

ithinkverydeeply, A17 and Yankee Josh like this.
  16. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    the recent discussion in the 'it followed me home' thread reminded me that I recently found this 'Monkey Wrench'. Its pretty neat and has dual jaws. It is stamped FARNUM a couple places and has F stamped several other places on it. also, I don't know how close you can zoom in on the photo I'm posting here, but around the FARNUM stamp are some other things stamped very faintly. I think the bottom row is something about a patent date maybe, but I can't quite make out the top row. I've done some internet searches but can't find anything that seems to match. What do you think?
    [​IMG]

17. rjdankert

rjdankert Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2011
    :cool:

1938 catalog snip:
    [​IMG]

Bob

Miller '72 and Yankee Josh like this.
  18. rjdankert

rjdankert Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2011
    :thumbsup:

Snips from 1906 catalog:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bob

19. Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    The Slaters' ripper.

Not a roofer, a slater. That's a term that was vanished with the asphalt shingle.

Thank you Bob.

20. Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    To continue from the followed me home thread...

My Bemis & Call

[​IMG]

Boston & Albany R.R.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My R.R. Monkey :)

I use to use this monkey wrench for years, strictly my cast iron pipe fitting wrench when plumbing for heat or water in older homes and buildings.
    Never let me down.