Off Topic The Hand Tool thread

I guess this counts as a hand tool.

I found this pry bar at my dad's place. its 28" long exactly and 7/8" across the flats. I believe it is what's called an alignment bar or alignment pry bar.

It is stamped P T C does anyone know what that might stand for? I'm assuming P_____ Tool Company, but maybe not. could be anything, but I'll throw it out there in case anyone has an idea. Pretty neat old bar. looks kind of old.

Today I had a friend tell me he found an old tool while he was cleaning up his shop and wanted to know if I was interested. "Of course!", I said, so he went and got it and it turns out it's an Irwin perfect handle screwdriver. Right on time for this thread, in my opinion. So far I think this is the 4th or 5th perfect handle screwdriver in my collection.
IMG-3452.jpg

IMG-3455.jpg

IMG-3454.jpg

When I found these all I could think of...what threads did these make and for what in house specially guarded project might it have been?
Jet engines, machinery to repair machinary, to the mundane, a machinist or engineer that wanted to make his own set, to who knows what ?

20190803-094534.jpg

20190803-094700.jpg

20190803-094815.jpg

20190803-094831.jpg

20190803-094922.jpg

20190803-094534.jpg

:cool:
nah that font's too old for jets, those are for radials, the best type of engine

nah that font's too old for jets, those are for radials, the best type of engine

I believe jet engines have been around since the late 1940's in varying stages of development and success. Certainly going into the 1950's.

Not sure of the font of the print but the abbreviation of CT, CONN, was used while I was still in school and jets are older than me...by a little lol!

I bought this saw about a week ago. And i am truly enamored with it. It's hands down my finest hand saw. Cross cut no53 Atkins. Here's a photo for comparison(not that you guys need it);
9IN6tTO.jpg

You all probably know all about this but I'm just learning about "damaskeening" or in this case a "damaskeened" finish. A few more pics;
foLUCWg.jpg
oWmH45n.jpg

On the back side of the saw you can still see some of the original finish;
DC8RFXj.jpg
gAs7Xpo.jpg

And here is the patent;
OjQQxqH.jpg
B5MfrDg.jpg

And just a couple of snippets I found.
4Bo70HA.jpg
CHj8OjN.jpg
Pd16Z80.jpg

Have you guys run into this before? Are these saws very common? I'm very happy to have one! Cleaning the medallion is the only cleaning I'll do. I know I shouldn't have even done that! Anyway it's a beautiful saw in my opinion and I wanted to share it with you all and see what your thoughts are on it. Thanks!

I bought this saw about a week ago. And i am truly enamored with it. It's hands down my finest hand saw. Cross cut no53 Atkins.
9IN6tTO.jpg

foLUCWg.jpg

oWmH45n.jpg

DC8RFXj.jpg

gAs7Xpo.jpg

And here is the patent;
OjQQxqH.jpg
B5MfrDg.jpg

And just a couple of snippets I found.
4Bo70HA.jpg
CHj8OjN.jpg
Pd16Z80.jpg

Have you guys run into this before? Are these saws very common? I'm very happy to have one! Cleaning the medallion is the only cleaning I'll do. I know I shouldn't have even done that! Anyway it's a beautiful saw in my opinion and I wanted to share it with you all and see what your thoughts are on it. Thanks!

That is a great saw. I come by and across very few Atkins saws, any of their saws. I probably have well over 100 rip, crosscut panel saws...less than 5 are Atkins I would guess.
Disston is more than common in my southern new England neck of the woods...very few Simonds as well...which is odd being so close to Fitchburg Ma.
...But Disston controlled the saw market like Coke or McDonalds does today. Way out front of the pack.

I got this around 1985. The taps and dies are English/USA standard. They also made French and Italian. I have never made a frame from scratch. I just used this to clean up threads, reface surfaces, and align fork ends and dropouts.

I got this around 1985. The taps and dies are English/USA standard. They also made French and Italian. I have never made a frame from scratch. I just used this to clean up threads, reface surfaces, and align fork ends and dropouts.

Great time (1985) for cycling...I was just starting as a bike mechanic's apprentice about that time.
I greatly appreciate you sharing that here.
I have not built a frame either, only repair, resurface and realign, and rebuilds.

Thanks again. Great set...Campy, '85...truely the pinnacle of the day.

the recent discussion in the 'it followed me home' thread reminded me that I recently found this 'Monkey Wrench'. Its pretty neat and has dual jaws. It is stamped FARNUM a couple places and has F stamped several other places on it. also, I don't know how close you can zoom in on the photo I'm posting here, but around the FARNUM stamp are some other things stamped very faintly. I think the bottom row is something about a patent date maybe, but I can't quite make out the top row. I've done some internet searches but can't find anything that seems to match. What do you think?

Back