1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Off Topic The Hand Tool thread

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by phantomknives, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    That's a real beauty!

Fmont and Miller '72 like this.
  2. Miller '72

Miller '72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Thank you.

I have a few more gems hidden in different spots, I just need to locate the Metal Stanley Box I put them in. :eek:

Yankee Josh and Fmont like this.
  3. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    I've found this to be true here in northern New England as well. Invariably Disston...

Am I supposed to use a slim taper file to sharpen one of these? I've got a good vice and the correct angle but my file wants to grind out a huge gullet(?) while not hitting the teeth. It's 7tpi. I can do a fairly good job on larger crosscut saws but I've not attempted any smaller ones yet. Any tips welcome!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    A17, Miller '72 and Fmont like this.
  4. Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Hi YJ

Are you using a 7" triangular slim taper?
    I might start there.
    Does it need Jointing, fresh gullets? Are the teeth short now?

It's a beauty you have and makes me want to go look thru my saws for my Atkins

Fmont and Yankee Josh like this.
  5. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    I see nice saws like that and look at all the teeth and shy away. Lol. It's not helped by the fact I was largely converted to Japanese-type pull saws many years ago, for the most part.

A17 and Yankee Josh like this.
  6. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    not too common, less so then disstons but not as hard as simmonds, it's a great find, especially a premium model in great condition

Fmont likes this.
  7. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Picked up this Starrett marking gauge the other day at the flea market. Wow, Starrett made some real quality tools!! The machining is amazing!! Thanks for looking!!

8. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    They still do.

Yankee Josh, Fmont and Trailsawyer like this.
  9. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    Yes, very true!

Yankee Josh and Fmont like this.
  10. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    I have something a little different for you guys and it isn't vintage. Sorry.
    I purchased this Japanese utility knife for my wife because she does crafty things. But I have taken a liking to it as a marking knife and various shop stuff (I am going to try a smaller size for myself). They are of two piece forge welded construction, hollow ground on one side, come pretty sharp out of their plastic packaging but take a really keen edge very easily. And the best part, they are dirt cheap.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    I see right off they would be good for a number of varying duties...and I like their size and with a full wood sheath.

Thanks @garry3

Trailsawyer, A17, Yankee Josh and 2 others like this.
  12. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    BEC1C005-DB35-4279-AEDF-7C48709BB257.jpeg E3A4CE27-1E0D-4355-AF4D-5F260208B9CC.jpeg
    Starrett makes compound action end nippers. The jaws are removable, repositionable, resharpenable, and replaceable. Optional jaws include extra hard for music wire.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    junkenstien, garry3, Fmont and 7 others like this.
  13. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    Did you find your Atkins saw(s)?
    I have an old skew back 7tpi. Warranted superior on the medallion.
    After jointing and pointing up, with a 6" slim taper, (i can't find 7" anywhere near me) I needed to set the teeth. I hadn't yet bought that last saw set so I went at it with a hammer and nail set.... man did I screw that thing up... I'm pretty peeved I didn't take a picture. It had a REAL ugly s curve.
    Anyhow these are all firsts for me! Including messing it up. However I straightened it using my anvil and hammer and it cuts really quite well! It's almost perfectly straight again and It cuts nice and straight as well. A few photos![​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The one question I have is how do you guys deburr the sharp side of the teeth after pointing them? Sandpaper?
    Thanks for the pointers AND encouragement guys! It's a great community we have here!

A17, junkenstien, garry3 and 5 others like this.
  14. holo07

holo07 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2008
    wrench

DSCN1977.JPG DSCN1978.JPG DSCN1979.JPG

A17, junkenstien, garry3 and 6 others like this.
  15. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    I will use the little diamond paddles to deburr my saws after sharpening. I have had a lot of people tell me to just leave them And don’t take the extra step but I enjoy sharpening and I think It will make the edge will last longer. Just my two cents for what it’s worth Lol

A17, junkenstien, garry3 and 4 others like this.
  16. Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Those teeth look mean and ready!

I use my file, a light stroke on the backside and done.

I have not looked thru the saws...but will try to show you the one or two I can get to easy...easier.;)

A17, Fmont and Yankee Josh like this.
  17. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    21CA4693-FC30-4AA9-BE57-E3EB09E97DBF.jpeg The nippers in 212 above even have Carbide insert jaws available.

18. KillerGriller

KillerGriller

Sep 4, 2018
    Found this beauty in my Dad's stash of my grandfather's tools last week

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    They work really well. Always brings back memories of apprentices, ladders and blood though. Just as sure as the sun rises.;)

20. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Let that hand under that slide and it will bite you hard.......

garry3, A17, Fmont and 1 other person like this.