Off Topic The Hand Tool thread

7Tn09nM.png

Simply "Must Own" items for any drill/brace collector

seriously though those are pretty cool implements
There are several pages of just drill braces. I’m going to spend days pouring over this thing.
5-E313-B74-DEF9-44-D4-B4-CE-6170423932-C7.jpg

9-EAF9-AE2-2558-425-D-B00-A-6-B328-F878-A66.jpg

6-B48-BBF5-1-B24-4-B04-A1-C9-E25-E11-F33-C76.jpg

A8bCGiW.jpg

t1ZcCFK.jpg

I made a recent enquiry on Tooltalk forum about this for a friend..........
Well I’m just prodding around in the dark here but it looks a lot like that planker or claw/timber jack with shaft for the handle and iron plate. The claw jack seems to have that extra thing on the back. (Any idea what that is?)
Does it work? This might be a clue “The claw jack and cotton jacks were listed as having 24 to 48 inch screws. The planners jack has 30 to 42 inch screw and the stone jack has 37 to 42 inch screw.”

Looks like it might have had a ring screwed to it in that missing mount location.

Miller--I used Stortz tools for many years restoring historic buildings. Great roofing and masonry tools. In 1987 I called the John Stortz Co., established 1857, to buy some tools for a job I had coming up. The person who answered the phone said "John Stortz Company, this is John Stortz, how can I help you?" And I said "What are you doing answering the phone you have to be at least 150 years old!" He laughed and said he was named after his great grandfather and everybody else was busy so he picked up the phone. I like doing business with companies who have been in business a long time with the same family ownership. I hope that is still true for Stortz Tools.

Old Axeman I agree with your sentiment and in the value that consistency of product and service with a family core value at the helm brings.
Sadly to many generations removed, and that core value may wander a bit from it's original bearing.

Today, I just wish anyone would pick up the phone when I called them with a question about a product or service.

Old Axeman I agree with your sentiment and in the value that consistency of product and service with a family core value at the helm brings.
Sadly to many generations removed, and that core value may wander a bit from it's original bearing.

Today, I just wish anyone would pick up the phone when I called them with a question about a product or service.
More then likely I will get a guy named Bill with an Indian accent so thick I can't understand a word he says. My mind always flashes to a guy in a grass hut...

Would this be some form of log driving pole?

It could be....It'd not be very handy for water-work,without the hook function,but it'll work in slow water like the impound pond...(the hook may've been there originally and is missing).
Could also be a help in felling trees,or utility pole work,many trades are so far behind us now that it's tough to call...
It's made very well;the ferrule carefully lap-welded,spike equally thoughtfully transitions from sq. to round...Someone took their time and made or modified it with care...

It could be....It'd not be very handy for water-work,without the hook function,but it'll work in slow water like the impound pond...(the hook may've been there originally and is missing).
Could also be a help in felling trees,or utility pole work,many trades are so far behind us now that it's tough to call...
It's made very well;the ferrule carefully lap-welded,spike equally thoughtfully transitions from sq. to round...Someone took their time and made or modified it with care...
I’m a slow typer and didn’t see this first. Well said.

Last edited:
I think wall or pole raising is likely. It isn't a very nimble tool and seems more built for supporting heavy objects than reaching out to push around logs. There is another one similar to this in another barn which I think was used to pull bails of hay down from a loft. It must be more like 16' long with two hooks at the end; I assume to grab the twine.

found a perfect handle screwdriver, i'v reground/hollow ground the tip as a little modification, i'm gonna be using some of that black walnut brian sent me a few months back.
ideally i'd like to use some really grainy wood like red oak for better grip but alas, poor me, all i had was black walnut
sTMubGp.jpg

found a perfect handle screwdriver, i'v reground/hollow ground the tip as a little modification, i'm gonna be using some of that black walnut brian sent me a few months back.
ideally i'd like to use some really grainy wood like red oak for better grip but alas, poor me, all i had was black walnut
sTMubGp.jpg
That's nice and will look sweet with black walnut scales. Will you glue them on or use rivets? It took me forever to find one too. I wasn't aware they were called "perfect" handles. It's fitting.

That's nice and will look sweet with black walnut scales. Will you glue them on or use rivets? It took me forever to find one too. I wasn't aware they were called "perfect" handles. It's fitting.
i'll be using rivets as soon as i can find a center punch. I head about them from HandToolRescue who is also an axe/saw guy as well, he'll be making a new version of these and getting them cast up, kind of like he did with the wrenches

sTMubGp.jpg

I can’t wait to see it when your done man!! Those angles are funky on those screwdrivers so take your time. I thought I could measure the angle on one of mine and use my disc sander with the table set to that angle and it didn’t work lol. I used a hammer to tap them in a little at a time and take wood off where the marks are. A lot like fitting an ax head. Just my two cents lol

Back