Off Topic The Hand Tool thread

so this is a curious little guy. I get the belt driven grinding wheel, but I'm having a hard time getting my head around what the utility is of a bench mounted drill. So the drill sits there and spins. then what? what am I missing?

also, what slides onto the tapered shaft on the opposite end?

A.m.
so this is a curious little guy. I get the belt driven grinding wheel, but I'm having a hard time getting my head around what the utility is of a bench mounted drill. So the drill sits there and spins. then what? what am I missing?

An early or "do it yourself" lathe? Pretty cool either way!

Just guesses...
Perhaps the chuck is there for a quick change of drill fitting brush heads..?
The tapered end looks threaded in the picture to me, perhaps a reamer of sorts or another method of attaching different grinding and buffing heads or bits..?

Either way, it's cool to see others...

Resized-20190728-164542.jpg

Resized-20190728-164536.jpg

2 Millers Falls.

The balance on the bench when yours would run might have been a battle with the custom attachments.

i'd say lathe on both ends, one for metal and one for wood. it might have come with a set of centers for it, it would be a really nifty little set up to have on a bench

edit : not home made, here's another https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-belt-driven-grinder-polisher-1830544188

I bought this Wyoming red edge pick this morning.
tEPRecF.jpg

It cleaned up real nice! You can see a #7 to the left of the stamp on the pick. It's not pounds it must just be a #7 pick.

odIYK7q.jpg

jSHIWKV.jpg

I also got an old yankee screwdriver. Made prior to 1899. It's marked "Goodell Bro's". The company name changed to "Goodell-Pratt" in 1899.
sgu77Yi.jpg

And a J.H Williams & co wrench.
6VJsV5s.jpg

k5Ti22A.jpg

What I can't figure out is why the number 33 is stamped into the wrench. It's 15/16" and 1" neither of which corresponds with metric. Also a small "c" under it.
0ghlx5m.jpg

I love this old stuff!

Back