The new Drunken: A tweaked SpydieChef?

closer look at it

pretty sure im for sure getting one. just gonna take a bit longer to get for me.

Now that I think about it, it's interesting that Spyderco chose to put a nested liner in the carbon fiber scale. They could have gone with a full carbon fiber scale but didn't; they'd have to start with the same thickness of carbon fiber anyway then mill into it to create the pocket for the nested liner, adding time and cost. There must be a reason they thought that was a better approach than a full carbon fiber side which would have been simpler and cheaper. I wonder what it was.

Sorry Spyderco, I've been a big fan for years, but it is too pricey. I don't see the details mentioned to justify it as much added value...and i want to retire, not get a second job or rob a bank.

Now that I think about it, it's interesting that Spyderco chose to put a nested liner in the carbon fiber scale. They could have gone with a full carbon fiber scale but didn't; they'd have to start with the same thickness of carbon fiber anyway then mill into it to create the pocket for the nested liner, adding time and cost. There must be a reason they thought that was a better approach than a full carbon fiber side which would have been simpler and cheaper. I wonder what it was.

Probably the same reason as on the Rock Lobster. It is a collaboration, and the designer wanted it that way.

Sorry Spyderco, I've been a big fan for years, but it is too pricey. I don't see the details mentioned to justify it as much added value...and i want to retire, not get a second job or rob a bank.

Save $50 every month. It won't take too long. Not sure why people don't get the concept of saving. Something I see everywhere.

Save $50 every month. It won't take too long. Not sure why people don't get the concept of saving. Something I see everywhere.

I’m not sure it’s that, or a matter of priorities. One could have a Drunken or for the same cost a Smock and a Brouwer and a good hamburger.

Do I believe the Drunken will have something extra or special over the other knives? Youbetchya. Will it be enough to satisfy my personal inner justifications? I can’t say for certain yet. When the time comes, it’ll probably depend on how close it is to lunchtime. ;)

It looks awesome and I love Spyderco, but I'm with the others. The price looks too high. I just picked up a Sinkevich designed ZT0462 which goes for 240 USD. Not sure how this would be worth nearly twice the price.

little more "action" shot of the drunken

I'm more interested in the things they were trying to hide from the camera. As a commenter points out at 2:10 you can glimpse a Para 3 with translucent orange scales, and a Reinhold "Grande" Rhino custom in the right corner. More pieces at 4:36 but less clear what they are.

Last edited:
It looks awesome and I love Spyderco, but I'm with the others. The price looks too high. I just picked up a Sinkevich designed ZT0462 which goes for 240 USD. Not sure how this would be worth nearly twice the price.
What makes the 0462 worth 15-20 times what a Sinkevich designed Kershaw Pub goes for? What makes any knife worth anything? This isn't a Spyderco 0462, it's a different knife.

I think most people (myself included) think this knife is too expensive or overpriced because the majority of Spyderco folders have been in the sub-$200 range and only a few in the $200-$300 range. If the drunken were made by, say, Reate or Olamic in exactly the same setting par the logo and the spydiehole, few would call it overpriced. In addition to the big name Sinkevich, other things like the drunken pattern on both scales, the steel reinforced integral lock (which I don't know exactly is about), and the nested liner all add to the cost of manufacturing and the price.

Yep. It may well be a full custom-quality piece. It may even be cheap at the price compared to the manufacturing cost with those materials and all that machining. Luckily for me, the only interesting thing in the mid-year supplement is the Rex45 Military Sprint. I know it will be worth whatever they charge.

Bearings running on metal vs CF. ZT usually puts a steel puck on the CF side of their bearing knives.

I think on the Blade Show vid, Eric G. said PB washers.
It’s bearings in PB cage washers. Like the new Advocate has it.

That was confusing to me when he was talking about it. Definitely seemed like he was talking about PB washers, but if you listen to the rest it is in fact bearings surrounded by PB riding on thicker steel washers.

Bearings running on metal vs CF. ZT usually puts a steel puck on the CF side of their bearing knives.
True, I guess I was just curious as to why they didn't just countersink a pocket for a steel bearing surface insert like ZT instead of milling the pocket for the full nested liner?

Anyhow, I don't have anything against nested liners; I actually really like nested liners on liner and compression lock folders. It was just a passing thought in my mind, bring curious about the use of nested liners in the case of the Drunken. I guess it could also be for strength, though goodness knows carbon fiber is quite strong and Spyderco is making other unlined knives. As mentioned previously in this thread, it could also just be because the Sinkevich specified nested liners for the design.

In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing how these turn out!

The pub and 0462 are miles apart however the 0462 and the Drunken not so much

Exactly this. The 0462 has milling on the titanium lock side and precision milling/chamfering on the CF side. It has milled pockets to lighten the weight on the titanium side. It has a hardened steel insert. It runs on industry standard bearings, which allows for user swap to ceramic if they choose and the bearings are still arguably better than the new proprietary bearing setup that Spyderco adopted post-Advocate. If you go to a couple of websites and input a coupon code, you can get it for around 220 USD like I did. You explain to me how you go from that to the price of the Drunken with the addition of a bit more milling, a nested liner, and some proprietary bearings?

You can't compare this to Olamic, Reate, and other mid-tech makers to explain the price. The quality level and customer service from those companies are much higher than Spyderco for the most part. They also produce far fewer numbers than Spyderco and still manage to stay in that price range.

The simple fact is that this knife, regardless of it's quality is priced well outside of the range it should be at. I predict a similar situation to certain other models that were a little less overpriced (Slycz Bowie, Southard, Positron, and Nirvana). The sales will be lackluster and the knife will be discontinued, leading to deep discounts. I'll just wait till then to pick one up, thanks.

Back